Any women who successfully lost weight after a full hysterectomy?

Options
SnazzIT
SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
I am about to have a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks and have heard so many stories of weight gain post op, that I was wondering if any women here have actually lost and maintained their weight afterwards. Any advice in prep would be most helpful. Thanks.

Replies

• msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I lost seven pounds after my surgery without trying. Now I'm signed up with MFP and lost 15 pounds in the last two months easily. I'm having to intentionally slow my loss because it's coming off too fast and I'm worried about gallstones, so hopefully yours will come off easily as well.

I was walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning, but have stopped doing that when the weight was coming off too fast and just stuck with staying at a calorie deficit.

I'm looking at purchasing a kettlebell and doing some work with that. I did enjoy walking on the treadmill, which surprised me as I don't enjoy exercise, but it made me feel so great all day, so I need to get back to doing that.

But the fast weight loss and fear of gallstones really scared me and until I could figure out how to stop the fast weight loss with my calorie numbers, I thought I'd better stop for a while until I leveled out to two pounds a week instead of the three and a half or more I was losing.

Best of luck for you! I had no problems at all after my surgery, and I am wishing you the best with yours!

• DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight pre-op (actually not scheduled for my operation until the end of October). I expect a lot of fluctuation what with removal of my uterus and giant fibroid (less loss from the other, smaller fibroid...) but fluid retention and swelling, and then fluid loss from the muscles (I exercise a lot right now and tend to retain water, but lose the water when I take extended breaks from exercise, which of course I will have to do after the operation). I don't see any reason CICO won't still apply. (I am keeping my ovaries, though.)
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I had mine in 1997. In the long term, it made no difference. In fact, once your hormones are regulated the lack of monthly ups and downs simplified things.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was in the midst of menopause when I started losing weight and then had a hysterectomy when I was near goal. The surgery did push my goals back a bit since I was instructed not to diet during recovery because eating at a deficit could delay healing. And there was some weight gain after surgery of course due to swelling and healing, but in the long run it was a fairly minor blip.

The menopause however was a royal pain! It didn't change the rules but it sure did make them more complicated. Water weight gain was a constant issue. It's difficult to tell if you are losing fat when your weight routinely jumps several lbs overnight. Since you are having a total hysterectomy you may experience similar symptoms so my advice would be to make sure you know how many calories you need to eat for fat loss and then trust that process even if the scale jumps around a lot. Just stick to the plan and have faith. That's what worked for me (1.5 yrs in maintenance now).

Best of luck to you.
  • heyjude345
    heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had my complete hysterectomy in 2002. I was overweight at the time and gained more afterwards. Starting in 2011 I decided to lose weight and have successfully lost and maintained a loss of 127 pounds. I do not take any hormone replacement.
  • SnazzIT
    Options
    I lost seven pounds after my surgery without trying. Now I'm signed up with MFP and lost 15 pounds in the last two months easily. I'm having to intentionally slow my loss because it's coming off too fast and I'm worried about gallstones, so hopefully yours will come off easily as well.

I was walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning, but have stopped doing that when the weight was coming off too fast and just stuck with staying at a calorie deficit.

I'm looking at purchasing a kettlebell and doing some work with that. I did enjoy walking on the treadmill, which surprised me as I don't enjoy exercise, but it made me feel so great all day, so I need to get back to doing that.

But the fast weight loss and fear of gallstones really scared me and until I could figure out how to stop the fast weight loss with my calorie numbers, I thought I'd better stop for a while until I leveled out to two pounds a week instead of the three and a half or more I was losing.

Best of luck for you! I had no problems at all after my surgery, and I am wishing you the best with yours!

Thank you for that, I hope I have a weightloss too and not the other way. It does give me hope then :)
  • SnazzIT
    Options
    I lost my weight pre-op (actually not scheduled for my operation until the end of October). I expect a lot of fluctuation what with removal of my uterus and giant fibroid (less loss from the other, smaller fibroid...) but fluid retention and swelling, and then fluid loss from the muscles (I exercise a lot right now and tend to retain water, but lose the water when I take extended breaks from exercise, which of course I will have to do after the operation). I don't see any reason CICO won't still apply. (I am keeping my ovaries, though.)

Thanks, I have been bleeding for more than four months and no-one has any idea why, hence the upcoming op. I am hoping that is nothing abnormal. I will remember CICO.
  • SnazzIT
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I had mine in 1997. In the long term, it made no difference. In fact, once your hormones are regulated the lack of monthly ups and downs simplified things.

• SnazzIT
    Options
    I was in the midst of menopause when I started losing weight and then had a hysterectomy when I was near goal. The surgery did push my goals back a bit since I was instructed not to diet during recovery because eating at a deficit could delay healing. And there was some weight gain after surgery of course due to swelling and healing, but in the long run it was a fairly minor blip.

The menopause however was a royal pain! It didn't change the rules but it sure did make them more complicated. Water weight gain was a constant issue. It's difficult to tell if you are losing fat when your weight routinely jumps several lbs overnight. Since you are having a total hysterectomy you may experience similar symptoms so my advice would be to make sure you know how many calories you need to eat for fat loss and then trust that process even if the scale jumps around a lot. Just stick to the plan and have faith. That's what worked for me (1.5 yrs in maintenance now).

Best of luck to you.

Awesome, thanks for replying, just reading everyone's responses helps me to mentally prepare.
  • SnazzIT
    Options
    heyjude345 wrote: »
    I had my complete hysterectomy in 2002. I was overweight at the time and gained more afterwards. Starting in 2011 I decided to lose weight and have successfully lost and maintained a loss of 127 pounds. I do not take any hormone replacement.

Thank you, you don't realize how much your reply gives me such great hope and mental strength. I am quite nervous because of friends and family who have told me the opposite. What I do notice is however, most of them quit fighting to lose the weight.
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I had my full hysterectomy 18 months ago. I was 58, 10 years post menopausal, no children. I had started bleeding in Sept and continued non stop until my operation in Jan 2016. My weight at that time was 175. I'm 5'2". I lost 10 pounds the first year without trying. Since Jan 2016, I have been faithfully using MFP and I'm now at 132. My goal is 120. The weight loss was fast the first couple of months but has slowed in the past 2 months. I'm happy with the steady slow pace. I walk on the treadmill, water aerobics/swim and bike.

Good luck to you.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi good luck with your surgery, I had a full hysterectomy in 2013 age 45 after ovarian cancer so I take hrt as lowers the risk of cancer coming back within5 years (nearly there....), I had put on 40lbs when I was ill and the following year I lost 37lbs over 7months, sadly I put some back on last year but I am back on track now.
    No secret - log your calories, eat sensibly and exercise.
    My surgery was all keyhole which helped my recovery, I have found strength training is very helpful
    You will feel like a new woman, give yourself time to recover - it's a big op & good luck

• SnazzIT
    Options
    I had my full hysterectomy 18 months ago. I was 58, 10 years post menopausal, no children. I had started bleeding in Sept and continued non stop until my operation in Jan 2016. My weight at that time was 175. I'm 5'2". I lost 10 pounds the first year without trying. Since Jan 2016, I have been faithfully using MFP and I'm now at 132. My goal is 120. The weight loss was fast the first couple of months but has slowed in the past 2 months. I'm happy with the steady slow pace. I walk on the treadmill, water aerobics/swim and bike.

Good luck to you.

Wow! thanks for sharing :)
  • SnazzIT
    Options
    Hi good luck with your surgery, I had a full hysterectomy in 2013 age 45 after ovarian cancer so I take hrt as lowers the risk of cancer coming back within5 years (nearly there....), I had put on 40lbs when I was ill and the following year I lost 37lbs over 7months, sadly I put some back on last year but I am back on track now.
    No secret - log your calories, eat sensibly and exercise.
    My surgery was all keyhole which helped my recovery, I have found strength training is very helpful
    You will feel like a new woman, give yourself time to recover - it's a big op & good luck

Thank you and I am 44 years old 5'2". I will definitely take on board what everyone has advised.
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I haven't had one, but I am interested in this. All I wanted to say was good luck!
  • SnazzIT
    Options
    Archcurl wrote: »
    I haven't had one, but I am interested in this. All I wanted to say was good luck!

Thank you :) my op is in two weeks, fingers crossed :)
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had mine in 2015 worse decision of my life. I can't lose weight or get my hormones in line. I suffer horrible hot flashes and my stomach looks like I am pregnant but good luck.
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had a complete hysterectomy 7 years ago today at age 44 (due to endometriosis). I was on estrogen until earlier this year. I have always been a healthy BMI, but decided to lean out this spring. I was able to go from 145 to 126 from the end of March until the end of June and have been maintaining for 2 months now. I am 5'7" and exercise regularly (weight lifting, Pilates and lots of walking). It truly was a matter of calories in - calories out. It wasn't any more difficult to lose weight post hysterectomy than it was before I had one. Good luck to you - I don't regret having the surgery at all!
    902140 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5 years post op and still trying to lose the pounds. Taking all the advice here on board. Thanks
  • heatherwaddle
    heatherwaddle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 8/31/17, so I'm still in the recovery stage. I put on about 5 pounds the first two weeks, so I'm logging the food and laying off the snacks to get back on track. No complications, I'm 45, kept my ovaries and I feel GOOD! Best thing I could have done for myself.

Once I'm all healed up, I can really throw myself back into the fitness arena, I have about 35 pounds to lose, and I think that not being a hormonal, cramping, pain medicated monster every 17-20 days is gong to make a big difference!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!