Help with my food...

Options
Okay, so I have been counting calories for about 3.5 weeks and have been doing great sticking to the calorie limit set everyday (except when I went on vaca between 7/14-7/18). My diary is open so feel free to take a look. I added cardio and strength training this week to help my weight loss and muscle development, and general health. I have burned close to 2500 calories this week exercising. However, I only lost 1# this week and have my goal set to 2#s/wk. My measurements didn't change either. Prior to starting this I was eating whatever I wanted, whenever, was not at all active, not even a little, and was gaining weight like crazy. I thought that when making a change as drastically as I have that pounds melt off, at least in the beginning. So, I would like any advice, helpful, not just negative, about how to improve my efforts. Before anyone mentions it, I know that my sodium is usually through the roof, but at this point I have been focusing on meeting my calorie goal since it is such a drastic change for my body. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    A couple of quick comments:
    1> For women, our body weight goes up and down a lot due to monthly changes in water weight. That might be part of it.
    2> I looked at a few days' worth of your diary. One suggestion I have is to try to spread out your food more throughout the day. This keeps your metabolism up. It is particularly important (in general) to eat breakfast.
    3> My brother and I have both noticed a weird thing regarding vacations and traveling, which is that we tend to come back from vacation (in which we did not stick to the diet well, as you said) but we come back without gaining weight but then the weight seems to go up like a week later. IDK why this happens but it has happened to each of us several times.

Bottom line: hang in there with your plan and see what happens next week and the week after!
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    The sodium could have a lot to do with it. It causes water retention which will show up on the scale. You're consuming a lot of processed food, and hardly any fresh fruits or veggies. I know you said you're trying to focus on keeping your calories down, but I do think it's important to consume as many fresh fruits and veggies as possible. Not only is it more nutritious, but you will get more "bang for your calorie buck" so to speak if you keep the processed stuff to a minimum. Try replacing some of those diet-y desserts with a piece of fruit. You can bulk up the frozen meals with fresh vegetables.

Also, a 1 lb loss is great! If you lost 1 lb per week you would be 52 lbs lighter in a year! Try to think of your weight loss journey as a marathon, not a race (cheesy, I know). The slower it comes off, the easier it will be to keep it off.

I'd also like to echo was the previous poster said about the vacation eating taking a week to show up on the scale. Sometimes it takes a little longer for our bad choices to show up on the scale.

Overall, I think you're off to a great start. Try to slowly incorporate more fresh foods, keep working out, and try to be patient. Good luck!
  • raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello 1lb is a good loss your right high sodium leavels means your body holds more water thats weight gain plus side this will come out of your system over a few days

If you can up cadio and eat more fresh foods you will start to see the differance any body chages will be over time as Fat is taken evenly from all over you body

Keep going Good Luck:smile: