If I get cramps during my workout- should i stop, or wait it

Options
I haven't worked out in a while, so my body isn't accustomed to it I guess. But I keep getting muscle cramps in my abdomen during cardio workouts... what should I do?

Replies

• Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If I get a side stitch I usually find that stopping for a bit a taking deep and deliberate breaths will work it out. Also stretching and massaging the area helps a lot. I would say take a break until it goes away because usually it will only get worse if you try to work through it.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    everyone is different...i push through the cramps....i focus my breathing on that spot like forcing my air to go there to help relieve the pain and tightness...you can also strech your arm up in hopes to relieving the pain...but as i said everyone is different you have to decide what works for you
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    if it's only mild cramping I would work through it and your body will eventually adjust to it. I had mild cramping starting out and pushed through it. By day 3 they were gone. If it's to the point that your in sever pain than I would tone it down and talk to your doctor.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    personaly when i get a stich in the side i just take some deep breaths and push through, reall deep breaths seem to really do the trick.

and breath out hard with the deep breaths
  • suse75
    suse75 Posts: 33
    Options
    my personal trainer would always tell me to drink more water during the workout. Don't take regular drip but slow, small sips so you don't shock your body. You may also want to check to make sure that you haven't pulled a muscle in that area. And always stretch beforehand.
    My gym owner is always onsite & open for questions, if yours is the same, ask. chances are they'll be really happy to help. After all, their business is to make you feel better, not worse.
  • tbtravels
    tbtravels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It happens to me if I eat too close to exercising...or eat the wrong foods before exercising. I agree with britt - focus on breathing and arm(s) above head.
  • raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Try to work at a slower pace the build it up you will get better over a few weeks.

Also drink some water before workout and then try to eat a bannar the potasium will help.

dont stop with cardio walking is good a lot of people in the gym have been working out for years so dont get deppressed.

Keep going
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of cramping it is....

A side stich - I generally slow down slightly but keep moving while stretching tall to improve oxygen intake and force my diaphram to stop spasming - I have asthma and tend to get side stiches often
    A muscle cramp - drink more water and increase potasium intake and massage that muscle later
    Stomach crap - increase time between eating and working out

If I can physically go continue I do so even if I have to slow down for a short period of time until I feel better

This is what I do hope it helps!