Procrastionation and excuses

Options
hey guys! I'm looking for advice from any fellow procrastinators. Everyday after work...well everyday in general honestly I come up with excuse after excuse after excuse to not go to the gym or exercise.
Its to hot, i'll go tomorrow, i'll go this weekend, etc. etc.
What are some tips yall suggestion for breaking out of the procrastination funk. I give myself every excuse in the book to skip over doing everything. I know its wrong and its bad but I just have such at hard time breaking the habit, even if I plan to do it, i'll make an excuse to get out of it.
Its like honestly everyday all I want to do is go home and just sit on my couch and play world of Warcraft. Its pathetic and I hate myself for it, so I try and atleast go for a walk around the block in my neighbor but its so suffocatingly hot I cant stand to be outside more then 5mins.

Replies

• kms375
    kms375 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just don't let myself relax or do anything else I want to do until I go walking or go on my bike. I'm a single mom of 3 kids so I'm constantly busy but once I exercise I allow myself to have some lazy me time
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Try not hating yourself for wanting to sit on the couch after work. First, hatered seems a pretty strong reaction for such an innocent thing. Second, the couch is a reasonable reaction to done with work.

But part of you thinks it's not the best choice for you in the long run. Both reasonable positions. This is inner conflict. If you don't work it out, as you know, you end up paralyzed and unhappy.

Curious. What do you do at the gym? Some people avoid the gym because they talk themselves into some double hard butt busting workout that is unsuitable for a beginner. Again a problem brought on by going to extremes.

Can you walk at the gym? Can you walk 1/2 of the time you want to be there and workout 1/2 of the time?

BTW, I agree the couch is a dangerous place.
    How about finding some basic at home workouts on YouTube? First rule of exercise- something is better than nothing.

Just work on building a habit. No couch until after workout. Workout does not have to be at the gym. This worked for me. I eventually got bored with my home workouts and went to the gym.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I had to find a program that I had a schedule that I *needed* to keep. Obviously, you still have to be motivated to continue with the program.

In my situation, I signed up for a few runs - Warrior Dash last weekend, Across the Bay 10k in Nov. I know I need to run 3 days a week for my training. Last night, even though I put it off until 8pm, I knew I needed to get a run in.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Maybe start smaller? How about you do 10 push ups and 10 squats first thing in the morning everyday? You might not be ready yet for hard work at the gym, do something lighter.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options

It sounds like you need/want to relax after work.

Can you get up early and go to the gym in the morning?

What about going to the gym after work for only 30 minutes? If you feel like doing more, fine. If not, then you made your commitment for the day.

You might try writing gym time on your calendar.

Another idea that works for me is to pack a gym bag with workout clothes and shoes and water. Sometimes I pack something to listen to (Spanish lessons for me). The gym bag all ready to go makes me feel more committed.

• RedSierra
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's a WANT thing. You cannot be motivated to do something you really don't want to do. It doesn't work with smokers, alcoholics, or drug users. So until you REALLY WANT to do for yourself, you'll keep making excuses and finding ways to justify not doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^ Totally agree with this. However, sometimes when you start doing something you have to drag yourself to start, then you like it and want to do it more.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This was me earlier this year, Warcraft and everything! I started by changing my diet only, and lost 25 pounds that way, still playing WoW. At 25 pounds down (halfway to my goal) I was so excited by my results that I wanted to keep it going and see what else I could do, so I started a couch to 5k program. Now I'm 35 pounds down and rarely have time for Warcraft! I'm trying new kinds of exercise and questing IRL.
    What is your goal? Focus on the things you CAN do to move toward that goal.
    I do miss WoW - I'll be doing something totally different and start thinking about Zangarmarsh for no reason - but WoW will be there when I've maxed out my rep with MFP. :smile:
    Also, check out NerdFitness.com if you haven't already.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    It's a WANT thing. You cannot be motivated to do something you really don't want to do. It doesn't work with smokers, alcoholics, or drug users. So until you REALLY WANT to do for yourself, you'll keep making excuses and finding ways to justify not doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

^^ Totally agree with this. However, sometimes when you start doing something you have to drag yourself to start, then you like it and want to do it more.

I agree with both of the above. I think the key OP, is to find that activity that you love so it does not feel like "working out." There are tons of ways to get to "exercise" that does not include a traditional gyms. I hate traditional gyms. They bore me to tears and is part of the reason of packed on the pounds in my 30s. I discovered a non-traditional "workout" (BJJ/MMA) training and lost 90 lbs (with proper diet of course). I love it so much, you have to drag me out there and I am constantly looking for time to squeeze extra training in.

Look into biking/crossfit/rock climbing/kickboxing or any myriad of ways to increase your activity level. Out there somewhere is something you will love and won't want to procrastinate going to.
  • zohart
    zohart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to say I've fallen into the same pattern. Two years ago I was in a great workout schedule then suffered a frozen shoulder. Once that shoulder healed I thought great, back to work. Now the other shoulder has frozen. In the meantime, I've gained 10 pounds. Sometimes those things can knock the wind out of your sails. I believe if I keep focusing on my goal my want to will return. While I'm in Physical Therapy for my shoulder I come home and hit the couch too. Very disappointed in myself but know it's a passing thing. Just work on your diet. Once you begin losing it will motivate you to start moving. Keep your chin up and believe in yourself.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If it's terrible hot or cold I find an air conditioned building I can walk in like a mall or a basketball court.
  • Dress2012
    Dress2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If it's up to me, I'll never go to the gym. I'm not motivated enough on my own. What I did was sign up for a Crossfit gym, which included 6 introductionary personal trainer sessions. After shelling out $250, I went, because I didn't want to waste the money. After those sessions finished it became easier to keep going. But even now, if you told me to go to a regular gym and do my own thing, I probably wouldn't. I like being guided and told what to do on what day. This way I get cardio and strength workouts tailored to me and I don't hurt myself.
    Maybe find something active you might enjoy? Sign up for a month of Zumba classes, or Yoga classes, or something like Tennis lessons? That way at least you'll have motivation to do it for just that amount of time. If you don't like it, you can always try something else.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you maintain a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Exercise is optional.

My vice is Elder Scrolls Online, BTW, so I totally get the addiction. I also find that I need that time to unwind after work. Lately, I have been doing more reading, which is easier to put down and do other things, like cleaning and laundry, which makes me go up and down the steps more.

Also, depending on where you work, even if you are in a cubicle farm, you may be able to walk the halls or go the long way to the rest room to get in steps. I bought a FitBit and count my steps - that helped me a lot.

You might also look at your way of eating. Are you getting enough healthy fats? Try switching up healthy fats and lowering your sugar and carbs to see if that helps?

Are you heat intolerant? Are you hypothyroid? Both of those things can affect how you feel about moving around in the heat.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    coming from someone who use to be you... You don't want it, its not a priority to you... I am not saying this to be snarky or mean. I say this out of a lifetime of experience... I am a lifer to the world of all things "diet"... gain, lose, gain again, lose some gain even more, never sticking to it... I feel ya, I made every excuse in the world on why I "can't" and well I didn't! And the sad reality was it just wasn't important to me, yes I hated being over weight, I hated that I was in pain all the time and out of breath, I loved my couch and my couch loved me. I loved the idea of being thinner and healthy but the comfort in the food and the comfort of my big comfy couch after a long day of work, kids, cleaning, cooking etc. Did I mention, I LOVED MY COUCH!!! healthy lifestyles are a lot of work and I just wasn't willing to commit to that kind of WORK. Until last November, something in me clicked and I was like no more, enough with the excuses you have to take control of this before you end up in an early grave... It was the hardest thing I ever did, I pushed myself through all the excuses and believe me there were many. I started off with getting my mind right with food. I had such an unhealthy relationship with food, it was sad. I did that for a few months until I was use to eating a certain way. Then I started walking during my lunch break, nothing fast just a simple walk. I committed to that every day M-F rain, sleet, snow I was out there walking. After a while I add a Zumba class on Monday nights, that turned into a second Zumba class as it wasn't really exercise, it was dancing and having a good time right?!? :p As I started to lose weight and feeling really good about this getting fit, I added a Pound class into my week. Healthy eating just became a way of life, and the exercise was just part of the routine. I have just recently started jogging, that's a first in my 48 years of life, and I have added in some strength training into my routine as well as a morning walk in addition to my lunch walk. Don't get me wrong, i still have days that I just don't feel like going to Zumba or doing any other of my workouts but I push myself through and always feel amazing after I finish. On days that I don't feel like it I know I need to be strict with my calories or eat a maintenance for that day. Find something you enjoy doing and go with it... As the saying goes, if its important you will find a way, if not you will find an excuse.

Good luck! Stick to it, your future self will thank you!!!
  • SPowell1989
    SPowell1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies. As for an exercise thatbi enjoyed doing, honestly believe it or not i loved to run. When i went for a jog i always felt amazing afterward and even ifnit was difficult and i felt like i was going to die and my heart burst out of mu chest i LOVED it. I would turn on my zombies run app and listen to the music and the story and just run all through my neighborhood.

But then i got hurt, doctor said i tore/sprained(dont remember which one) a ligament in my foot from not wearing the correct shoes.
    She said i need running shoes with a strong arch cuz i gots flat feet
  • RedSierra
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    coming from someone who use to be you... You don't want it, its not a priority to you... I am not saying this to be snarky or mean. I say this out of a lifetime of experience... I am a lifer to the world of all things "diet"... gain, lose, gain again, lose some gain even more, never sticking to it... I feel ya, I made every excuse in the world on why I "can't" and well I didn't! And the sad reality was it just wasn't important to me, yes I hated being over weight, I hated that I was in pain all the time and out of breath, I loved my couch and my couch loved me. I loved the idea of being thinner and healthy but the comfort in the food and the comfort of my big comfy couch after a long day of work, kids, cleaning, cooking etc. Did I mention, I LOVED MY COUCH!!! healthy lifestyles are a lot of work and I just wasn't willing to commit to that kind of WORK. Until last November, something in me clicked and I was like no more, enough with the excuses you have to take control of this before you end up in an early grave... It was the hardest thing I ever did, I pushed myself through all the excuses and believe me there were many. I started off with getting my mind right with food. I had such an unhealthy relationship with food, it was sad. I did that for a few months until I was use to eating a certain way. Then I started walking during my lunch break, nothing fast just a simple walk. I committed to that every day M-F rain, sleet, snow I was out there walking. After a while I add a Zumba class on Monday nights, that turned into a second Zumba class as it wasn't really exercise, it was dancing and having a good time right?!? :p As I started to lose weight and feeling really good about this getting fit, I added a Pound class into my week. Healthy eating just became a way of life, and the exercise was just part of the routine. I have just recently started jogging, that's a first in my 48 years of life, and I have added in some strength training into my routine as well as a morning walk in addition to my lunch walk. Don't get me wrong, i still have days that I just don't feel like going to Zumba or doing any other of my workouts but I push myself through and always feel amazing after I finish. On days that I don't feel like it I know I need to be strict with my calories or eat a maintenance for that day. Find something you enjoy doing and go with it... As the saying goes, if its important you will find a way, if not you will find an excuse.

Good luck! Stick to it, your future self will thank you!!!

I really love your post. Thanks for the realness and the inspiration.

Resistance is there everytime we try anything. You have to push against it.

• gymrat9293
    gymrat9293 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I so agree with this!!!! I am an ex-smoker and other behaviors that were not good for my body. I am now lean and fit. I never heard the begging of my family to stop. I tried several times, but NOT until I wanted to stop did I succeed.
  • plantsbeatpills
    plantsbeatpills Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I read this book about procrastination...and learned that us serial procrastinators all have underlying reasons for doing so. It isn't simply laziness or lack of discipline. It is usually related to fear and anxiety. Fear of failure and fear of success are two big ones, but there are all kinds of possibilities. Procrastination is a way of sabotaging yourself--again, explore and dig deeper concerning why you want to sabotage yourself. I still struggle with this issue--so I mean no judgement. It has helped me to figure out why and then to start working on the deeper issues.