FUSSY EATING

Options
Looking for some low calorie snacks and food to help fill me up without going over my calorie intake allowance. My problem is that I'm a really fussy eater. I don't touch fruit and eat little veg

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Eat anything you want, just log everything so you don't exceed your calorie goal - and not go under, either.
  • amylouise1997hull
    amylouise1997hull Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's my problem, almost of the foods I like are high in calories so I can't have much of them without going over my daily allowance, that's when I start to get hungry
  • pocntasha
    pocntasha Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean! I had this same issue, but it is true that time creates likes and normalcy. I started with purchasing snacks that were still on the naughty side, but under 150 calories. I found that the more protein in a snack the better off I was. I have really come to like the Slimfast snacks, they are all 100 calories, and they have "chips" chocolate, all sorts of variety. Works for me. Also yogurt! Flavored (lite) yogurt helps curb my sugar cravings!
  • amylouise1997hull
    amylouise1997hull Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you that's really helpful :)
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Nuts. I adore them and upgraded them from snack to staple when I realized this. If fat satiates you, nuts are awesome--remember to weigh 'em first, though. (Honey roasted peanuts are one of my 'no brakes" foods, so I can only eat a serving at a time...)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for filling foods look for snacks with more protein, fats or fiber.
    Oatmeal
    Hard boiled egg, egg muffin
    Tuna
    Meat cubes or slices
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese

Vegetable/fruit that you might try:
    Wasabi peas
    Pickles
    Olives
    Avocado
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    legsnbacon wrote: »
    I read your topic as P*SSY EATING, clicked on it, and well, disappointed is not a strong enough word for what I am.

My comment really got flagged? But I got 1 like and 3 awesomes...there's always that ONE person...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    low calories and filling are pretty hard to make work together.

There are some decent pop corn options out there that are pretty low cal. Pair that with a diet soda or similar might be an option.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Sorry, tough love. Learn to eat like an adult. 80-90% of calories from nutrient dense foods like veggies, fruits, lean proteins. whole grains, healthy fats, 10-20% from cookies, cakes, candy, chips, etc to meet your calorie goal.

Learn to touch fruits and veggies, will fill you up with generally low calories.

This is pretty much on point. Your enjoyment of fruits and vegetables will increase as you are more exposed to them. The variety among them is wide so you will probably find you like some and not others. One really can't say one dislikes all fruits and vegetables until one has tried them all prepared in all the different ways available.

Vegetables take really well to being "dressed
    ." That can be a salad dressing or anything else on hot or cold veggies. Here's an easy one for you to try. Take some baby-cut carrots (good straight out of the bag). Put them in a covered dish with a bit of water and microwave them until you can poke a fork in one of the bigger ones. Drain off the water. Add a spoonful of honey and a bit of dried dill. If you have room in your calories, add a pat of butter. Toss until the carrots are coated. Yummy!!

My wife uses Skinny Girl salad dressings. 10 calories per 2 tablespoons, really saves calories with no impact on taste.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn has very few calories, so you can eat a lot of it. Butter seems to be the big calorie issue with popcorn. My favorite was to pop the popcorn and spray it with pam or water or something (mainly to get it wet so that salt will stick) and add seasoned salt.
    I liked to pair that with a homemade Italian soda of club soda and 1/2 - 1/4 of a serving of flavored syrup.
    There's recipes out there for what to put on your popcorn that isn't butter, often with herbs and whatnot added. I'm happy with season salt, but there's a parmesan cheese recipe that looks good. Though I'm not sure if the cheese has similar calories as the butter.
    How do you feel about soup? It might be a way to teach yourself to like veggies.

Other snacks: String cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts, jello, flavored light yogurt, baked potato, baked fries, corn tortillas.
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. I think I misread the title.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All foods can be low calorie snacks if you weigh them. Pick a calorie amount (say, 100 calories) and weigh out a portion. Prepackage in ziplock or treat containers and you are good to go.

Try weighing out crackers, chocolate, cheese, and nuts.

For non veggie high volume try air popped popcorn, rice cakes or wheat puffs.

For protein try hummus with your crackers, hard boiled eggs, or a tuna pack.

When you are ready to extend your palate, start with the veggies you like most and try with ranch dressing or laughing cow wedges. Try a new veggie in the same family next week and go from there. Always buy small amounts, and buy fresh.

For instance, if you like tomatoes try cherry or grape tomatoes, and then red bell peppers.

If you tolerate celery, try bok choy.

I like the mild crisp texture of rutabaga and turnip.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you don't like about fruits and vegetables and see if you can mask that aspect. Use a sauce, dressing, yogurt or nut butter to change the flavors. Prepare it a different way if it's the texture. Roasted veggies are absolutely delicious! Dipped in salsa makes a great snack. Cut an apple into thin slices and bake with a little cinnamon, butter spray and stevia. Then you have apple chips.

You're either going to get creative, learn to tolerate what you don't like, or continue being hungry and unsatisfied on your current diet.