How do you handle the days you don't cook?

Options
eep223
eep223 Posts: 624 Member
Hi everyone. My husband and I divide the kitchen duties in my house. The days that I cook, I up the veg and try to keep things balanced. My husband doesn't always do that and is a fan of heavy comfort foods. How do you manage your meals when you aren't the one cooking?

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    When I food prep on Sundays I make sure to make all of "my stuff" and then I add some of the comfort things that my husband likes as well. So for example... one night we might have grilled salmon and asparagus. I'll give him a side of rice or sweet potato and I'll opt for extra asparagus or a side salad. I guess food prepping solves the problem.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When I food prep on Sundays I make sure to make all of "my stuff" and then I add some of the comfort things that my husband likes as well. So for example... one night we might have grilled salmon and asparagus. I'll give him a side of rice or sweet potato and I'll opt for extra asparagus or a side salad. I guess food prepping solves the problem.

Why don't you eat sweet potato? I eat it 2-3 times a week.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I make some veggies on the side for myself and eat less of what hubby makes. He cooks delicious meals but rather heavy ones, too. I eat as much of hubby's cooking as I can within my calorie goal.
    I see this journey as a life long change for the better, so finding a balance I can live with over the years is important. I wouldn't give up hubby's cooking for a lifetime; it's delicious. Balancing with more veggies works well.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you're not getting him to weigh and record everything that goes in, I would just serve yourself and have a smaller portion, smaller rice (or whatever) and bulk it out with some veg. Frozen peas and sweetcorn only take about 3-4 minutes if you microwave them.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I eat a little less of whatever everyone else's eating and go for veggies in jars (beetroot, carrot, corn). I just say I need to get my daily dose of veggies and can't fit everything in my stomach, so no one gets offended.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I think what I'll do is just start keeping a big bowl of salad in the fridge to supplement whatever he's cooking up. Then I won't feel like I'm stuck cooking everyday.

P.S. Sweet potatoes as so delicious and so good for you! Don't miss out!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    On days my husband cooks I ask what he's making and if it's not something I want I say "Don't make any for me." and either he'll offer to make something else for me or I'll make something myself.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I eat a smaller portion of the less-than-healthy food someone else prepared and the have a big serving of a healthy salad
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If by a small miracle my husband wants to cook, I just let him, Eat smaller portions and supplement with a salad.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. My husband and I divide the kitchen duties in my house. The days that I cook, I up the veg and try to keep things balanced. My husband doesn't always do that and is a fan of heavy comfort foods. How do you manage your meals when you aren't the one cooking?

I am the only one that cooks in my house but I'm guilty of bringing my own food to my friend's homes during weekend pool parties, girl's nights and stuff like that where I don't know what to expect for dinner. I suggest either A) eating smaller portions of what he cooks and pre-logging in the morning so you can adjust the rest of your food accordingly or B) keeping easy dinners on hand like rotisserie chicken and egg whites with spinach for something easy to whip up
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    We discuss beforehand what is for dinner and I make a portion fit. Some days it is as simple as skipping the meat or only having half the potion of rice or something
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My bro and his wife moved in with me and took over the cooking. Works for me cause I hate cooking and they hate cleaning. I don't like other people cleaning because I have OCD and I can't stand anything out of place. They LOVE comfort foods! I had to make a rule that all their crap gets stored in their closet. I don't want my kids having junk food but they have no issue spoiling their kids. When they cook I tell them don't cook for me. I'll handle my own meals.