When do you re-calculate your calories?

Options
When I started MFP, I was 207 (actual highest recorded weight was 201) and I think I'm allowed somewhere around 1,650 calories with a sedentary lifestyle. (I'm 5'1" for reference). I've lost a few lbs and I'm down to 199.2 today. At what point should I consider re-calculating my calorie allowance? I know the lower my weight goes, the lower I'll need to eat. Just not sure when i should make a change. My ultimate goal is 130.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    most ppl say every 10lbs or so
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you plug the progress weight in once a week it will slowly lower your calorie amounts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah I think MFP will do it based on recorded weight every 10lbs
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    At this point, I have MFP set to lose 1lb/week and most weeks I'm at 1.2 to 1.8. (I exercise daily. Nothing too strenuous, but a 2-3 hour walk every day and strength training with light dumbbells 3x week... burns a decent amount. I eat back half.) I'm currently less than 45lbs from my goal, so I'm not adjusting anything until my loss slows to an average of below 1lb/week.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    If you plug the progress weight in once a week it will slowly lower your calorie amounts.

It hasn't been doing for me and I enter my weight daily. I had to enter it through the guided set up thingy where you give your stats/activity level/desired rate of loss.
  • artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and i just went back and noticed that on 8/22 it reduced my daily calories by 10. At this point I had recorded a 5 lb loss. So it looks like it does update automatically and at the 5 lbs lost mark - at least that's what it is doing for me.

Thanks for the replies!
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You can recalculate depending on how aggressive you want to be.

The amount you lose per week will start high and go down and average out. recalculating starts that process over again
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It'll do it for you until you hit the lowest allowed calorie intake. Then you'll have to adjust your rate of loss rather than your calories in.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I use https://tdeecalculator.net/ and recalculate with each new pound lost. That way, I'm "sneaking" it down about 5 calories at a time so I don't really notice that I'm eating less. I've gone from 1660/day to 1540/day and its working so far.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I recalculate when I notice my loss occurring too quickly or start to slow down over a few weeks. I've adjusted my intake (both up and down) about ten times in 9 months.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I recalc every week. It doesn't hurt anything to just do it every time you record your weight.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Enter your new weight under "goals" instead of progress and it'll do it on the app.
  • UK_Ash
    UK_Ash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MFP changes it as you go as long as you put in your new weight, it will be different for most people depending on your fitness regime and lifestyle so you need to be honest about these then it will do all the calculations for you.