Can I use trail running shoes to run on the road?

Options
Need to run a few kms on the road from my home to get to the local trails. Will it hurt me or hurt the expensive trail shoes?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoe, but it's probably fine. The tread might wear out a little faster if you're doing a lot of pavement running, but I'm not sure how significant it would be. Can you run in the grass along side the road (not sure where you live or if you even have grass, lol).
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sure. Won't hurt you. Your shoes? No. Maybe have a bit more wear on the treads.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I bought my first pair of trail shoes to run on snowy roads, and ended up running more than half the distance on clear asphalt. I retired them at 500 miles out of concern for tread wear, and still use them for mowing the lawn and shoveling snow. Evidence from those activities is that I may have retired them earlier than I needed to.

Those were Saucony Peregrines. I doubt that other brands and models of trail shoes would be built so much worse that a few miles of road will ruin them. Most likely, you get similar results.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I also use trail shoes as snowy road shoes and put lots and lots of dry road miles on them. the tread does wear out faster on pavement. Its also my experience that trail shoes are a bit sturdier and heavier than road shoes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    I also use trail shoes as snowy road shoes and put lots and lots of dry road miles on them. the tread does wear out faster on pavement. Its also my experience that trail shoes are a bit sturdier and heavier than road shoes.

This.

They might be a touch heavier as well than its counterpart of the same brand.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    "Can I use trail running shoes to run on the road?"

I do.
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, will give it a go and give some feedback.