Stuck

Options
I want to focus on cardio a whole lot more, I do 4 days of cardio and then 1 day is dedicated to strength (Either a full body strength or just something I want to target that day). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on high cardio exercises? I've done HIIT workouts, Zumba, the treadmill, elliptical- but does anyone follow a specific plan to keep them motivated as well?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you can run, training for specific races is very motivating. Or a distance bike ride, or Spartan race or tough mudder.
  • vdolmstead
    vdolmstead Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You need not restrict yourself to 'running!" I've had a hip replacement so my orthopedist won't let me run, even if someone's chasing me. But I walk. I've done 5k, 10k, half and full marathons and training for them is intense cardio, with less stress on your limbs. Galloway has a great book on training for distance events. Hope this is some help?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    what's your 'stick'? motivation? physical limitations? time?

just curious. i'm not a runner or even terribly cardio-focused, but i thought that clarifying that might make it easier for people to see what specific factor you're wanting help with.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Spin classes I sweat way more than Zumba, the key is finding something you enjoy doing its easier to stick with
    I couldn't do running all the time its just not what I enjoy.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    gabbierae wrote: »
    I want to focus on cardio a whole lot more, I do 4 days of cardio and then 1 day is dedicated to strength (Either a full body strength or just something I want to target that day). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on high cardio exercises? I've done HIIT workouts, Zumba, the treadmill, elliptical- but does anyone follow a specific plan to keep them motivated as well?

Find what you like and you won't need motivation. I enjoy running because I get to enjoy the outdoors and because I run in the early morning, I usually get to see the sunrise and enjoy cooler/lower humidity air.

To echo the above posts, training for something specific is a huge motivator. Though I enjoy running immensely, it was only training for my first race that gave me the motivation to move from 3 days a week to 6 and to add a long run day to my calendar. Now my long run day is my favorite day of the week. It's terribly relaxing.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Most gym cardio equipment have different course workout you can choose to change it up (don't just hit the quick start button). For me, I enjoy group exercise classes (cycle/spin mostly). Or I jog on the treadmill for either speed or distance (training for a 10k now).
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week. AT THE MOST.