Congestive Heart Failure

JennyLee1956
JennyLee1956 Posts: 29 Member
Was just diagnosed with heart failure.
My sodium is limited to just under 1500 mg. Most all processed foods are out. My angioplasty of a pulmonary vein in the left side of the heart, found the failure.. I have lost 8 lbs since surgery 2 weeks ago today. I am on diuretics though to pull fluids away from my heart. I am trying my best to enjoy the tasteless food. Salt adds such flavor. I would appreciate anyone else's story or recipes to further my recovery. I have re-started light swimming in the pool today, and maintaning a 1350 calorie intake for last 2 months. Exercise is limited with the CHF and COPD. I have new low to no sodium cook books. I though, still feel discouraged, maybe even depressed.

Replies

• cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Yes, there are some salt-less seasonings like Mrs. Dash! You can play with different spices too. I like curry, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder. Those will definitely add flavor without the salt. This might be weird but I have heard nutritional yeast can be used like a seasoning. I just bought some but haven't tried it yet! It smells like Kraft mac & cheese though so hoping it's good, haha.
    Don't be discouraged!!! Just focus on getting healthy :smiley:
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Sorry to hear this for you. I hope you feel better soon and adjust to a new way of living. My mother was on a low sodium diet and I did a lot of web surfing. There are several bloggers who are living a low sodium life and blog about it. They have done the hard work for us. We can just try their tricks. One of my favorite is to use lemon, lime, zest and juice to brighten the flavor of foods. It really makes a big difference. Vinegar works the same too. If you have something on your plate that is bland trying a squeeze of citrus or a splash of vinegar. We love the Mrs Dash blends, taco seasonings, etc. I use the extra spicy for cajun seasoning. I like all but the original and table blend. The others are great! I buy no salt added tomatoes, beans, vegetables, and stock when I can. We have made our own sausage for recipes too. Here is a link to some of the things we tried and the blogs I found.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/low-sodium-recipes.html

sodiumgirl.com/
    dontsalt.blogspot.com/
    https://davita.com/recipes/
    healthyheartmarket.com/
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Here is another blog and a recipe for Greek Chicken. It was delicious! My sister who put salt on everything even enjoyed this one without adding salt. lowsodiumblog.com/2012/07/sues-greek-roast-lemon-chicken-kota-lemonato
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Nutritional yeast adds a great salty/nutty flavor to foods without any sodium. It's great in soups. You also might want to check out penzeys.com. They have some delicious salt-free blends.
  • JennyLee1956
    edited August 2017
    Thank you all so much. I have added the blogs and web sites to my favorites. I am excited.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I am very sorry, concerning your diagnosis (((((((((HUGS))))))))! I use Mrs. Dash Table Blend, as a regular seasoning; it's salt free but doesn't taste, like it!

I second this. There are a lot of good salt free seasoning blends out there.

Also, fresh herbs can add a lot of flavor.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    I would start experimenting with lots of fresh herbs. And I do think after a few weeks, your taste buds will adapt to the low sodium diet and it won't seem so bland.
  • JennyLee1956
    I hope so.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    You are awesome for adhering to your sodium recommendations.

X
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    I'd also like to recommend a therapist if you don't already have one. Depression is a normal reaction to this diagnosis and can sabotage you at times, plus it gives you a safer space to express the frustration, grief, rage and guilt which all will come and go periodically. Perhaps also consult a registered dietitian, at least until you learn all the ropes, because some herbs may interfere or interact with your meds.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    We cut way back on sodium to help our BP meds and now find most saltier foods are now unpleasant. Give it some time.

Meanwhile, lean heavy on Mrs. Dash. We really like the herb & garlic blend. Use lots of other flavor boosters like spices, herbs, lemon, etc. Make your own chicken stock for soups. Peruse the salt-free spice mix list at penzeys.com. Hubby has just become hooked on the salt free dill pickles from www.healthyheartmarket.com. I just used Ener-G sodium free baking powder and baking soda in some cornbread. I got them from Amazon.

There are lots of things that you may have thought always required salt but Mrs. Dash and other flavorings will make all the difference. No need for bland foods, just experiment and see how to make the foods you like fit.
  • JennyLee1956
    Thank you. Yes I have a therapist, I just needed the support. I already am acquiring a taste for foods that are real and not sodium enhanced.
    I am on several meds that can react to certain herbs and potassium. So am trying to be diligent.
  • papalode
    papalode Posts: 1 Member
    Trying to learn all I can about CHF. Glad I found this group. I am only 3 months into my diagnoses. VA doctors involved with me now. Figured the myfitnesspal site is the best way to track my sodium. It has been a few years since using their website. Tomorrow I start logging in my weight and Blood pressure to the VA website. It feels good to have some close supervision now. I do not feel there is a death sentence hanging over my head anymore.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Don't forget acids...a bit of vinegar or citrus can wake up flavors, especially when combined with other salt substitutes.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Sorry to hear about your situation. While not required to be on a low sodium diet, I follow one as a precaution - and it helps reduce fluid retention in any case. Lots of good advice here about brightening flavors with citrus/etc., Mrs. Dash, and more. I found, for me, the plain fact was, it takes a while to reprogram your tastebuds to a low-salt existence. After a while the more subtle flavors of foods will make themselves fulfilling to you, and salty food will become more unpalatable. It's a learned response (above and beyond the natural need for sodium to some level). Good luck.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Experiment with fresh and dried herbs as well as citrus-adds lots of flavor.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

I wish you the best on your journey here.

I love my salt! The next best thing I've found is onion powder. Not onion salt, onion powder. Try other spices, too, like garlic powder, curry and paprika.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Use lots of fresh herbs in everything. Start an herb garden if you can so you'll always have them available. And expect the first couple of weeks everything will taste like it needs salt. You'll adjust eventually.