Family cookbook gift idea needed

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
I'm trying to find a family cook book as a gift for someone. Should be available in the UK. Most family cookbooks I find are just the usual recipes: cupcake decorations and simple alltime favourites. There must be more than this. Recipes that can be used as an inspiration, for trying out new things, but not so exotic that one cannot get the ingredients or spends hours in the kitchen. It needs to be an actual book though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Does it really need to be a book? I wanted a crockpot when I first got married, and I still don't have one. Could it be a kitchen appliance (they often come with recipes). A good gift I got once was a mini-mixer. A spiralizer (they come with recipe ideas). Is this a young couple? Older?
    If you look for a book, consider one with pictures. It's nice to see the final product before you cook it.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm loving Nadiya's British Food Adventure and her previous book Nadiya's Kitchen.

The recipes are refreshingly simple and very accessible. Not pretentious or needing thousands of ingredients or preparation like a lot of books. I've been cooking and eating Nadiya's recipes practically every day.
  • yirara
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes, and there's a price limit attached to it. It's for a gift exchange specifically for cook books. Besides, given the high energy prices in Europe i know noone who'd use a crockpot.
  • proteinpout
    proteinpout Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Hamlyn All Colour Cookery collection is amazing! They have loads of different books with 200 recipes in each. Excellent value, you may be able to get a few of them!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A family cookbook to me means recipes gathered from one family but that doesn't seem to be what you mean.
    Something like this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Family-Cookbook-Claire-Thomson/dp/1911358030/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1504012320&sr=8-7&keywords=Family+cookbook

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Food Labs science cook book.
  • yirara
    Options
    Ok, I finally found two books: The River Cottage Family Cookbook and the National Trust Family Cookbook. Both are very much about cooking with the family and getting the children involved, without cooking meals for children. And most importantly: the cooking instructions are in grams and not some exotic stuff such as cups and oz :D
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Leon cookbooks!!! Good recipes made simple. And they look amazing. I think there is one called 'family and friends'
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend Apples for Jam or Falling cloudberries by Tessa Kiros. Both are fun to read, have awesome photos and they are everyday recipes from all the places she has visited. Most of them are easy to make at home, and easy to modify.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    What's a family cookbook?

Joy of Cooking belongs in every kitchen. It's a standard for a reason.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You could always find recipes online & print them onto cards & give a little recipe card holder as a gift. Or type them, print out & bind it in a clear cover. It would add a personal touch!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Go up your nearest Bookstore and have a look. You might be able!e to find a local author or regional cuisine.