Bear meat

Options
Yoldle19
Yoldle19 Posts: 33 Member
I need some recipe advice when cooking with bear meat. I'm a little intimidated, any advice is welcome.

Replies

• Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I thought bear meat was full of parasites..?
  • jacquih2981
    jacquih2981 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    quick google brought up this http://nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear_recipeguide.pdf

Like pork, the proper cooking time for bear meat is 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes per pound. Internal cooking temperature should reach 160 degrees for 3 minutes or more before consumption. Cook until there is no trace of pink meat or fluid paying close attention to areas around the joints and close to the bone.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    quick google brought up this http://nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear_recipeguide.pdf

Like pork, the proper cooking time for bear meat is 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes per pound. Internal cooking temperature should reach 160 degrees for 3 minutes or more before consumption. Cook until there is no trace of pink meat or fluid paying close attention to areas around the joints and close to the bone.

With this in mind I'd definitely use a probe thermometer and shoot for 165 degrees.
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    Oh I most definitely will! Thank you.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Woodsmoke wrote: »
    I thought bear meat was full of parasites..?

You can get trichinosis is you don't cook it to the proper temperature
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    Correct, I need to know some recipes though lol, I think most people don't want to eat bear, so I am not having much luck.
  • Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Bear meat is very greasy and hard to cook with, it's best made into salami, in my opinion. That's what I've had done in the past and it's excellent!

As far as recipes though, I'm sure you can just Google it..... there's a lot of wild game recipe articles and books out there. :smile:
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    I did make a few different bear sausages and there not bad, thank you.