has anyone ever dried their own fruit?

Options
I would love to dry my own fruit, i looked on this link, has anyone ever done it, got any tips? it says i should dip the fruit in honey or juice, do i have 2 i would prefere it 2 b just fruit n nothing added? :bigsmile:

Replies

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have dehydrated all types of fruit. They're a little "sticky" afterwards, much more tart and sweet tasting. Very delicious! I just cut them up and put them on the dehydrator racks and took them off when I felt like they were done!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I would love to dry my own fruit, i looked on this link, has anyone ever done it, got any tips? it says i should dip the fruit in honey or juice, do i have 2 i would prefere it 2 b just fruit n nothing added? :bigsmile:

Yup, I just let mine soak in a honey-cinnamon mixture which is liquified by adding water until its almost a marinade, and then de-hydrate them in the oven.

I would imagine you could do jerky the same way as its for the most part the same concept.....
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My MIL used to. She bought a fruit drier (Oster, I think, was the brand). I don't think she put any sugar on them, or honey, since she was very against added sugars. Try googling Oster, I'm pretty sure the company is still around. Of course, you may be looking for a less expensive option; I think there are other brands of fruit driers, too, but I don't know of any way to do it without one.
    Hope that helped.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I have dehydrated all types of fruit. They're a little "sticky" afterwards, much more tart and sweet tasting. Very delicious! I just cut them up and put them on the dehydrator racks and took them off when I felt like they were done!

Second this! I wouldn't dip them in honey. If you don't want them to turn brown, dip them in lemon juice.

Enjoy!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My mom got a dehydrator for Christmas one year and made dried apples - they were aweful! They tasted and smelled like plastic. I hope you have better luck :) Dried fruit the awesome.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i have dried fruit at work before (i work at a preschool/daycare) and we used just cut up fruit put it in a dehydrater and waited a day or two :)

it was awesome we did apples, pears, bananas!!! they may have done more i cant remember i know they have made properie too lol
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I dried fruit with my mom as a kid. I wish we still had our dehydrator- one of my favorite things to snack on as a kid was that fruit. I know we did all types, but my favorite was strawberries. We never added anything to the fruit, but they were still plenty sweet.
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Second this! I wouldn't dip them in honey. If you don't want them to turn brown, dip them in lemon juice.

Enjoy!

I concur. I've also dried all types of fruit and have never used honey or juices before dehydrating them. I think they turn out better if you dehydrate using a lower temperature than a higher one. That's just opinion. I also use parchment paper between trays to keep the fruit from sticking to the trays.