Best (nondairy) dinner recipes GO!!

Options
bribucks
bribucks Posts: 431 Member
edited August 2017 in Recipes
My parents are all of a sudden coming into town and now I need to make them dinner tomorrow night. My mom can't have any sort of dairy.

I'm not the best cook, so something easy and relatively quick is appreciated.

What should I make?

(Under 600cal for the entire meal please. Also no seafood or peppers.)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    What do you normally eat? Fix something like that or go out to eat. It's your parents, I'm sure they know your cooking skill level.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Teriyaki beef with green beans

Per serving:
    4 oz thinly sliced beef
    3/4 cup fresh (or frozen) green beans
    1/4 onion
    1/4 cup teriyaki marinade

Marinade the beef in teriyaki sauce (minus one teaspoon) for about 30 minutes.
    Pan fry the onions and green beans until "tender crisp" or how ever you prefer. Set aside. Drain marinade from beef and pan fry beef until preferred doneness, add green beans/onions plus teaspoon teriyaki sauce and cook for 3-5 minutes. Serve over rice, noodles or plain.

I also can't have dairy
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    How about a vegan lasagna? See Pinterest...lots there.

Or just a pasta/tomato dish - that could be super easy too
  • bowyer2017
    bowyer2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I know your parents will have come and gone but may I suggest if you are new to cooking Sainsbury's do a milk free (it's vegan) lasagne. It is a decent size microwaveable meal for one or you could do 2 and add extra veg. Although one of the more expensive Supermarkets Sainsbury's have a wide range of vegan foods. Tesco frozen and chilled sections have some great ones including a new roast with a nice sauce if mum doesn't eat meat.
    When my parents came and budget was tight I would buy dried soya mince, add peas and carrots, marmite and gravy granules and top with mash then brown in oven. Can also be done with lentils, esp puy Ines from tin.
    Always good to have recipes in mind for next time. I hope that their visit went well this time and this info helps in future.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pasta with tomato sauce
    Grilled meat/fish steaks and salad
    Stir fry
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My goodness there are so many options.

Stir fry, chicken marsala, grilled fish or meat with salad and/or any vegetable side, black bean soup, red beans and rice, steak and baked potato, pork chops and fried apples, blackened catfish and collard greens, roast chicken and pasta tossed with warmed tomatoes, garlic and olive oil.
  • hobohair
    hobohair Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My favorite go to dinner is to through frozen chicken in a crockpot with a jar of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning. Cook it on high for 3-4 hours or low for like 8 hours and it easily shreds with a fork. It makes great chicken for tacos (tortillas or lettuce wraps for fewer carbs), enchiladas, etc.