Your Daily Diet

Options
I just found this site today on accident - so the calorie thing was already out the window even though I'm tracking it. My goal today was to just start jogging again with my dog, but now I'm encouraged (thanks MFP) to watch calories and what I eat as well.

I made a homemade BLT (small one) and a homemade reuben sandwich for lunch (again, small) and that alone has sucked up all but around 150 calories for me - and I haven't even had dinner yet!

I saw another thread somewhere here about people eating a ton of (healthy) food and being too full to finish their calories for the day. What on earth are you eating to do that?! How can I see what others are eating to see how to do this? LOL!

Replies

• cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Feel free to browse through my diary. I'm eating 1320 a day, plus any exercise calories. I usually fill up with salads, veggies, lean protein, and whole grains. I really don't feel like I'm denying myself much, either.

I hope this helps! <3

Added: I also found low-calorie replacements for things that I love. Ezekiel bread has only about 80 calories per piece and has a lot of fiber and protein, plus it's sprouted for extra nutritional benefits. Compare this to a lot of wheat breads, which can be 110+ calories, and you've saved 60 lbs. in one sandwich. I'll use less olive oil and more vinegar on a salad, too.
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of veggies,lean protein (no red meat and seldom pork) and fruit. All fruit before 2:00. Big salads fillme up and I make my own salad dressing-red wine vinegar(any kind is ok), flax oil, Mrs. Dash, and veggie seasoning.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The trick is to find healthy alternatives to what you love eating. Love ice cream? Try skinny cow (this is a recent find of mine and I don't feel like I'm missing anything!). Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers has also come out with candy as well. Like pasta? Switch to whole wheat pasta. It's the little changes that make a big difference. After being on here for a couple of weeks, I have found that most of my diet is based on carbs. NOT GOOD!! But, I wouldn't have guessed that 53% of my diet was carbs unless I had tracked it and noticed a trend. Now I am going to try to get more protein in me (currently hasn't been above 13% for any given week - yikes!) and I have started eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables (on sale at Tom Thumb).

Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me to friends if you'd like.
  • mverastegui
    mverastegui Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also find that I am less hungry and eat better if I spread my calories through out the day. I try to eat every couple of hours. It seems to kill the cravings for "junk". I try to eat lean protein, yogurt, whole grains, fruits, veggies, healthy fats like nuts and avocados. I still have some vices like brownies, but usually have a fiber one brownie (80 calories and full of fiber) to satisfy that craving. Not the best for me, but better than the regular kind. Also, I drink LOTs of water! Exercise will also give you extra calories you can EAT! Feel free to look at my diary. Add me as a friend if you would like some addtl. support.
  • middleofseven
    Options
    :heart:
    I would be glad to add you to my list of friends.
    Marian
  • jenajkay
    jenajkay Posts: 3
    Options
    I've lost 57 pounds with MFP, and though my eating habits are pretty repetitive, I rarely deprive myself nor do I "run out" of calories. I'm doing 1360 calories/day, plus whatever I've earned with exercise; I'm trying to taper down from weight loss mode to maintenance mode. I agree with a previous post about bread. I eat a 40 calorie/slice whole wheat bread, so most sandwiches stay under 200 calories. Typically, I eat a bag of fresh steamed veggies for lunch with a Lean Cuisine. The carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower blend really fills me up. I eat a lot of those same veggies with dinner too. Lean meats like fish, shellfish, and chicken are great; I do indulge in lean red meat as well. I found over time that it took a lot less to make me feel full. I physically cannot consume the amounts of food that I used to. When I splurge, orover indulge, I feel really yucky. I think you'll find that with time, you'll figure out what types of food satisfy your hunger as well as your taste buds. You'll also realize that your body will adapt to different eating habits, and new patterns will feel "normal" for you. Good luck!
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    same here,feel free to add me and take a look at my dairy ..it's open
  • SweetcheeksRN
    SweetcheeksRN Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is great. I'd love to hear more...I'm new to this way of eating as well. Never counted calories or attempted to eat "balanced" at all. I've done the low carb diet for sometime and I'm now I want to eat more of a balanced diet and include all types of nutritious foods. I'm learning so much from this site already and it seems like it will be a GREAT support. Today's my first day counting and so far so good. I don't really feel hungry at all and I know where to draw the line tonight. I've mostly been snacking on fruit and yogurt. But I'd love to hear more from ppl that have been successful.