Meal delivery services

Options
I'm thinking about looking into a meal delivery service and wanted to know if anyone has tried them. Do they work? What do you like/dislike about them? What service do you use? I'm mostly looking for ones that already have the meal made and unjust heat and eat since I am terrible at cooking. I'm also looking for something that might cater to those with health issues like PCOS and hypothyroidism. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was looking at gousto recently. Very tempted but didn't go for it in the end. Quite expensive when you are just single. Following this discussion though.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? The popular ones here (Chicago) are Snap Kitchen, KitchFix and My Fit Foods. I also just saw a new one pop up called Fittingly Delicious.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm thinking about looking into a meal delivery service and wanted to know if anyone has tried them. Do they work? What do you like/dislike about them? What service do you use? I'm mostly looking for ones that already have the meal made and unjust heat and eat since I am terrible at cooking. I'm also looking for something that might cater to those with health issues like PCOS and hypothyroidism. Any help would be great! Thanks!

I'm terrible at cooking, too. That's why I eat a lot of instant oatmeal, salads, and canned soup (Amy's brand, good quality, but no cooking required except to heat). I'm happy to eat this food forever.

The problem with a meal service is the same one with plans like Slimfast. While you might lose weight, unless you plan to keep the service for life/years, you will probably regain the weight when you stop using the service because you didn't learn how to eat regular food.

However, I see nothing wrong with using a meal service while you slowly figure out what to eat on your own.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My brother swears by Project Lean Nation.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    The only ones I know where I live are KFC and some Pizza shops.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I loved My Fit Foods, but they went out of business and closed down.

I've also used BistroMD. They have tasty meals, good portions sizes with plenty of protein and vegetables in the meals and smaller amounts of starches. Most pre-made meals seem to be starch based with tiny bits of meat and veg, but not these. Their ingredients are pretty good with fewer weird additives I'd prefer to avoid, but it isn't all organic/pasture raised/wild caught as it would be if I were cooking myself. You can order the meals and days you want, within reason, and you can skip weeks if you want. They also have gluten free menus which are often difficult to find unless you're planning to spend a fortune. They have a lot of gluten free meals, too, not just the same 4 or 5 repeated over and over again. If you don't like green beans, I would not recommend them. While they offer a wide and interesting variety of foods, there are green beans of various varieties in enough of the meals that it gets exciting when you have broccoli or carrots or cauliflower. I've never tried their snacks and was not impressed with their breakfasts since I don't do egg whites only or sweets for breakfast.

Near me, most of the fresh daily meal delivery services that cater to special diets are price prohibitive, costing a minimum of $500 a week so I haven't tried them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    I find them too expensive, Gousto and the likes. I do pick a recipe from their website regularly though and cook it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "do they work"? A serious business should deliver what you pay them to do.

What do you mean by terrible at cooking? Are you spending hours on elaborate dishes that turn out not the way you expected? You don't have to do that. Simple meals are easy to make and can be delicious and healthy. Practice makes perfect. When you discover that you can create wonderful things, you will want to do it repeatedly, and that way you'll gather experience, and maybe even want to branch out.

If you have special needs, you may have to eat in a special way, and it's easiest to do that if you can control everything that goes into your mouth, and the easiest way to do that, is by making your own meals from scratch. The grocery store has all the ingredients you need. Meal delivery services firms do not have access to secret healthy food stashes.

If you want to lose weight, all you need to do is to consistently eat less.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My area has local meal prep services (ex:Clean Eatz). They send you a menu on Thursday, you have until Sunday to order, and either you pick up the week's meals on Monday or they deliver them to your place of work (if it participates)...then heat and eat! I order frequently because it's super handy. Being a picky eater I like that I can choose exactly what meals I'll get and they calculate calories and macros for the meal. I think it's worth the $6-$7 per meal.