Anyone else spread out their calories like this?

Options
2»

Replies

• Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I eat my biggest meal at lunch time, around 1PM. I hardly ever eat before noon, just my coffee. I have a fairly large lunch, a little more coffee at work, and then dinner. I work swing shift at a hotel, so I don't have a lot of time to eat during work, but we have eggs, yogurt, bagels and the like for our breakfast stuff, so I usually can cobble together something decent.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    My calories are quite evenly spread out. I think it's roughly half in the course of the day, including little snacks in-between, and half for dinner in the evening. Works best for me.
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    This is almost exactly how I break down my meals. That's what I prefer.
    Yesterday I did 250 Breakfast / 300 Lunch / 500 Dinner / 1500 Evening Snacks

Ha, you sound like me! Not quite as extreme as having 1,500 calorie meals + snacks in the evening, but yes, I generally try to save around half of my calories just for dinner and the inevitable post-dinner snacks. It's hard to eat a lot during the day anyway because of work, so that makes it easier.

My highest-calorie 'meal' of the day on MFP is invariably the one called 'snacks' :D
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Usually yes I do the same, although I'm experimenting spreading them out a bit more sometimes.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    yep most of the time my dinners are 800+ calories.

I dont eat alot in the day though.
    I dont tend to eat breakfast, usually first meal of the day is anywhere from 11.30am to 3pm ( even if it is breakfast oats I eat lol)

then I have a big dinner and a bedtime snack.
    Im defo a night eater. I even have days when I dont eat until after 6pm (just having coffee - black no sugar and water during the day) then have dinner at 8/9pm and go bed with snacks

I think it might be because I have really bad insomnia and night eating gives me something to do but I make sure everything is logged and accounted for no matter what time of day I eat it
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Dinner is always my biggest meal of the day. I usually eat between 1350 - 1500 calories per day and dinner is typically almost 1/2 of those calories. This was last night's 810 calorie meal...perrsik7c7zp.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Most of my calories happen at lunch, or at dinner if going out. My main meal is always in the neighborhood of 800-1000, sometimes (way) higher. Sometimes I feel very snacky and most of my calories go into snack. That's the beauty of calorie counting; you get to do whatever you want in whatever way you want and still lose weight if you're within calories. Not being bound by unnecessary rules was liberating for me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat a bunch of smaller meals and snacks throughout the day, I feel deprived even if I've had the same number of calories. I'm happier saving most of my calories for one big meal, usually dinner with the family.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    CindyWard2 wrote: »
    Dinner is always my biggest meal of the day. I usually eat between 1350 - 1500 calories per day and dinner is typically almost 1/2 of those calories. This was last night's 810 calorie meal...perrsik7c7zp.jpg

That's what I'm talking about!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are between 100-200, lunches 300-400 and the rest is for dinner so usually 600-700. I don't snack, so all my calories are used for meals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've been skipping breakfast and having a light lunch so I can eat a big dinner for decades.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Substantial breakfast (400ish)- lighter lunch (300ish) - average dinner (500ish) -snacks about 200
    Try not to be a night eater so I'm starved in the morning!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you have energy throughout your day and aren't tempted to eat extra food you haven't budgeted for, then it's great! For myself, I feel best with a 500 calorie breakfast plus a substantial early snack, then a smaller lunch and a snack sized dinner. Sometimes I even skip dinner if I'm going to bed early. The main thing is to do what makes you happy and likely to stick with your goals!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I never thought to use eggs for buns! I'm diabetic and don't like most low carb bun alternatives I've tried and regular buns spike my sugar, so this is definitely something to try. Thanks!
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I never thought to use eggs for buns! I'm diabetic and don't like most low carb bun alternatives I've tried and regular buns spike my sugar, so this is definitely something to try. Thanks!

It's not eggs for buns...it's two pieces of whole wheat toast with avocado, bacon and fried egg on top...and fried potatoes of course!!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do! I love a big dinner with the liberty to have some snacks.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Nope, most of my calories are lunch and snacks. Last meal of the day tends to be the smallest. Brekkie is usually bigger than my last meal of the day/night.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I do this -- it's not uncommon for me to have 800-1,000 calories for dinner.