How do I determine my perfect target weight???

Options
I'm surrounded by people whose opinions I don't trust(people telling me what they think I want to hear instead of the truth), I need an Idea of how much I should set my target weight at. I'm 31 and 5'9. At my lightest weight, people commented constantly that I was too skinny...but that was where I was most comfortable and happy...now, several years and one baby later I'm still 15 lbs heavier than that. Anyone on here with any ideas? I don't want to be stick thin, just lean and toned.

Replies

• Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I calculated my ideal weight I used this site as a reference:
    http://www.divine.ca/en/fitness-and-nutrition/ideal-weight-calculator/c_317/
    I liked this one better than others because it also considers your frame to determinate your weight
  • trooperkp
    trooperkp Posts: 10
    Options
    I have not heard of that site! Thank you so much! Sounds like exactly what I need!
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I calculated my ideal weight I used this site as a reference: http://www.divine.ca/en/fitness-and-nutrition/ideal-weight-calculator/c_317/ I like this one better than others because it also considers your frame to determinate your weight

Wow... According to that site, I have a small frame. I always thought I was medium frame. That makes me a bit sad! lol! Even more weight to lose now!
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options
    I was looking at BMI calculator. It said I should be around 110-115. I personally think I would look weird at that weight, but I'm going to shoot for the 115-120 range.
  • adie_rogers
    adie_rogers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great site!
    My ideal weight according to that is 160-175lbs which is pretty much what I am aiming for (well, 175 as a start!!).
    Thanks!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is what I went with, but I don't really know if there is a "right" answer. Figure out where you fall in terms of BMI. Diet till you get get yourself in a healthy zone. Somewhere in this zone your body will natural want to settle, sure you can lose more weight, but your body will fight you. From this point, ignore the scale and work on toning. That's my very unscientific answer for your consideration. :smile:
  • wbutterfras
    Options
    I just tried and it and seems much more realistic than the BMI alone based calculators.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that site. My ideal weight, according to them, is 138-153. I was shooting for 140, which was just a number I picked, no particular reason for choosing it, which is in the lower part of ideal. I think I shall see what I look like at 150 and decide from there :)
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I think goal "weight" isnt so important. Goal 'fitness' maybe so.
    Hear me out

I do want to be about 160lbs - but I say this as someone who is currently morbidly obese.
    When I get closer to this 'goal' that number may or may not be where I end up. I want to end up with an over all toned look. I was just telling someone last night I want to be in fitness model shape. Being that I have a large frame at 5'7 and tend to bulk on the muscular side -who knows where my final weight will end up
  • trooperkp
    Options
    I appreciate your advice....I'm sure there are many different ways to determine whats ideal, but I'm just trying to stay reasonable but end with a result I'm thrilled with..Thanks again!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    At 5'9", 145lbs is a good weight, depending on bone structure and what not. You could go 10lbs in either direction if you are really small boned or large boned.
  • trooperkp
    Options
    I just calculated it and you are right on! It says between 145-160...I guess my ideal weight I came up with on my own was way off. I was setting my goal at 130
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8/5'9(never exactly sure) and my goal weight is 150... 145 looks good on me but 140 is when we start getting too thin.
    Even at 160 I looked really good.. but anything higher then 160 for me and I start looking huge.
  • trooperkp
    Options
    okay, that makes sense...you'd think at 31 I would have this stuff worked out for myself...haha...I think I get too wrapped up in the goal of loosing I don't realize when enough is enough....thanks so much for your insight!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Maybe thats why i've only lost a lb or so in the last month. I'm at the low end of the ideal weight scale for my height and frame. Those calculators here that don't figure frame size in put me about 10 lbs less.