How much weight could I possibly gain if...

I'm female 5'10, 18 years old, I weigh 9stone8 pounds. If I over eat for 3 or 4 days for example 3000 calories each day, how much weight could I possibly gain?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Depends how much surplus you'd be in...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    You're on the low end of the BMI scale--I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain from 3-4 days worth of eating at that level...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    As I said in your other threads..you need to be consistent ..overeating a few days won't do very much. 3000 cals could be maintenance for you based on your height and depending how active you are. Or it could put you in surplus. Have you entered your stats on here, have you been tracking your calories ?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You're on the low end of the BMI scale--I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain from 3-4 days worth of eating at that level...

As this was posted on the Weight Loss board I didn't realize that OP's intent is to gain weight...

You need to consistently eat at a surplus to be able to gain weight. Plug in your stats and eat the recommended amount of calories EVERY DAY until you have gained the amount you wish to gain. Just like losing too quickly--gaining too quickly isn't desirable, either. Aim to gain gradually while exercising/lifting weights and you will build muscle and not just fat.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    It would depend, different foods make you retain different amounts of water, but that would soon come off. But fat wise, depends how many you eat for a deficit or to stay the same surely
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    lozzah8791 wrote: »
    I'm female 5'10, 18 years old, I weigh 9stone8 pounds. If I over eat for 3 or 4 days for example 3000 calories each day, how much weight could I possibly gain?

3000 calories over your maintenance calorie level?
    I believe to gain 1 lb it is about 3,500 calories surplus so you might gain 2-4 lbs that week.

If you are eating only 3,000 calories total for 3-4 days and at maintenance level the other days and are sedentary you may gain .5 to 1 lb that week.

Are you trying to gain weight?
  • lozzah8791
    lozzah8791 Posts: 24 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I believe to gain 1 lb it is about 3,500 calories surplus so you might gain 2-4 lbs that week.

If you are eating only 3,000 calories total for 3-4 days and at maintenance level the other days and are sedentary you may gain .5 to 1 lb that week.

Yeah I'd like to gain about a stone
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

so you want to be thinking in terms of a small surplus for 28 weeks, with a good lifting programme, not just eating loads a couple of days a week.
  • lozzah8791

so you want to be thinking in terms of a small surplus for 28 weeks, with a good lifting programme, not just eating loads a couple of days a week.

So if I was to have 1 or 2 big cheat days a week it wouldn't make me gain weight?
  • livingleanlivingclean

So if I was to have 1 or 2 big cheat days a week it wouldn't make me gain weight?

Would that put you in a calorie surplus for the week?
  • lozzah8791

Yes most probably but not by 3500 or more
  • livingleanlivingclean

Yes most probably but not by 3500 or more

If you want to gain weight, you have to make an effort to eat more. Consistently. If you want to gain weight more quickly, your surplus needs to be bigger.
  • sardelsa
    How long have you been trying to gain weight? How much weight have you gained so far? If you are not reaching your goals over time, you will have to change how you are going about this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

depend show much you were eating and how much you wanted to gain per week?
  • lozzah8791
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How long have you been trying to gain weight? How much weight have you gained so far? If you are not reaching your goals over time, you will have to change how you are going about this.

I've gained about a pound in the past month
  • sardelsa

Are you happy with that rate of gain?
  • lozzah8791

No ideally I'd like to gain 2 pounds a month
  • sardelsa

No ideally I'd like to gain 2 pounds a month

Then you have to push yourself to be in a consistent surplus. Based on your many threads about this, it seems like you try to make up your cals by overeating for a few days.. then you probably undereat. Clearly this is not optimal as you are not reaching your goal rate of gain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Your body strives for homeostasis...a few days of overeating isn't going to override your body's ability to maintain homeostasis. You'd likely gain some scale weight which would be attributable to water and more waste in your system.

To gain weight or lose weight you have to consistently be in a surplus or deficit to override your body's ability to maintain homeostasis.