For all you ice cream lovers out there...:)

Options
2»

Replies

• boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't think they have it in Canada...
    I just ate a cup of oreo ice cream though and it was so worth the 280 calories. :blush:

Yeah we don't have it here... :neutral:
  • af240
    af240 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I'm in the "don't like Halo Top" camp, but I really hate the taste of anything with artificial sweeteners. I'm one of those super-taster people so the taste of fake is really noticeable to me. If I bothered to eat enough of it, I'm sure I'd have the gastro issues.

Yes, thank you! I seriously thought I was the only person who didn't like Halo Top. I was so excited to try it because everyone was raving about it, tried the cookies & cream flavor and, no offense to those who love it, thought it tasted like pure sugar alcohols and unedible.

I don't know why no one talks about Enlightened. It's literally the exact same thing, but they somehow got it right and you can't taste the artificial sweetener AT ALL. Seriously tastes like regular ice cream. I eat a half pint almost every night lol. So I recommend it to those who don't like Halo Top but still want a low cal ice cream option.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    af240 wrote: »
    I'm in the "don't like Halo Top" camp, but I really hate the taste of anything with artificial sweeteners. I'm one of those super-taster people so the taste of fake is really noticeable to me. If I bothered to eat enough of it, I'm sure I'd have the gastro issues.

Yes, thank you! I seriously thought I was the only person who didn't like Halo Top. I was so excited to try it because everyone was raving about it, tried the cookies & cream flavor and, no offense to those who love it, thought it tasted like pure sugar alcohols and unedible.

I don't know why no one talks about Enlightened. It's literally the exact same thing, but they somehow got it right and you can't taste the artificial sweetener AT ALL. Seriously tastes like regular ice cream. I eat a half pint almost every night lol. So I recommend it to those who don't like Halo Top but still want a low cal ice cream option.

Choosing between the two I'd take Enlightened. More chunky goodness, especially the Triple Chocolate flavor!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan,I like Skinny cow better
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost every day. Ben and Jerry's and Haagendaz are my go to's and not any reduced version. What I do do is measure out an amount, eat it and then STOP. It takes discipline yes, but that's how I can enjoy eating what I really choose to eat on a daily basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    No, thank you. I much prefer the "ice cream" taste of Blue Bell No Sugar Added over the "fake guar" taste of Halo Top and Arctic Zero.
  • af240
    af240 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Choosing between the two I'd take Enlightened. More chunky goodness, especially the Triple Chocolate flavor!

That's the best one! I think I've tried all the flavors (that are offered near me at least) and the only one I didn't like was the mint chocolate chip, but I'm not super fond of that flavor to begin with.

And I agree about the chunks of stuff. My first reaction of disappointment with the Halo Top cookies & cream, as soon as I opened the lid I thought, "where are the cookies???" haha I've never seen cookies & cream "flavored" ice cream, that didn't have cookie crumbles in it.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I feel like if people like Halo Top, the either haven't had real ice cream in a while, or don't like real ice cream. This stuff is an abomination of ice cream, and the only one that I've tried that tasted ok was the chocolate peanut butter, but still didn't taste like ice cream.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I taste the sweeteners more in Enlightened actually. Honesty by now I find the real stuff more satisfying too. Just can't get over the artificial aftertaste.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Most Halo Top flavors are pretty good, but Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom is usually easier to find and cheaper. Less protein, but a Halo Top addiction gets expensive fast lol. It averages around $4 a pint here. For that same $4 I get a half gallon-ish of BB Sweet Freedom flavors. I like both but will switch between them to save some $$.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They have limited availability in Australia and few flavours, and recently released 4 new flavours but only to independent grocers. You should see the desperation on the Facebook page as people try to track it down.
    Fortunately my local grocer stocks it. Unfortunately, here in oz, it's crazy expensive so has to be a rare indulgence from a monetary perspective rather than a calorie one.

Haha I'm a member of the Halotop Facebook page. They acted like bunch of feral animals when Halotop announced the new flavours. I possibly was briefly part of the stampede to seek out the new flavours :wink: But paying $11.40 for one tiny tub just really irks me!!
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I ate it for a little while to try a few flavors, but then gradually hated the taste of it. I don't eat it at all now..
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I bought into the Halotop hype and got myself 2 pints. I ate one, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I felt it was a waste of perfectly good calories (and $$). The other pint sat in my freezer for a couple of months until I tossed it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Just went and bought a drumstick...Yummy :D
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I really like Halo Top!! All the flavors I've tried have been good, but I think my favorites are pistachio and birthday cake.

But a quick word of warning to anyone who might think of trying a so-called competitor "Arctic Zero"...it is absolutely disgusting by comparison!! Ugh! My husband instantly spit out the cookies & creme flavor when he tried it, and then I was equally disgusted by the birthday cake Arctic Zero. I tried saving the cookies & creme and mixing it with a banana to make a smoothie...it created an even worse-tasting nasty foam. It was SO BAD...and I think it was only about a dollar cheaper per pint. No thanks to that.

If people think Halo Top has a funny aftertaste, then they would HATE Arctic Zero!

I have to admit, I am usually more of the "eat 1 serving of regular ice cream" camp, though. I find it satisfying and way cheaper. Even when I didn't care about calories in years past, I never ate a whole container of ice cream...I actually did that for the first time recently (with Halo Top of course).

But it is nice to have other options!