New again - 42 y/o with 40-50 lbs to lose

Options
MNhiking
MNhiking Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hello! I am starting fresh again. I lost about 25-30 pounds on MFP in 2013 to 2014, went from 165 to 137 (5'6"). I felt great. I was happy.

In 2015, I turned 40. I had gained about 10 pounds but was focused on getting it off. I was working out, remodeling my house, and landscaping my yard; I was VERY active. Despite all that, I was gaining weight and felt exhausted, my body hurt, my legs and arms started swelling a lot. I joined a crossfit boot camp in April 2016. I was working out even harder and cut my 1350 per calories further. I had no appetite anyway. In May 2016, I finally went to my doctor. My thyroid had stopped working. I was placed on meds. I quit crossfit; I hated it. I lost no weight and developed shin splints that still hurt over a year later. It turns out they turned into stress fractures.

In March 2017, I saw an endocrinologist. My levels were up a bit again. I still had not lost weight. I did feel better physically, though. I wanted help and my endocrinologist suggested I was not taking my meds; oh yes I was. I wanted to be better and get the weight off. That broke me; I cried for two days. I was a failure.

A bit over a year since I first went to my doc, in June 2017, my TSH levels were finally normal. However, I had already given up on losing weight. I still walked and hiked often, but I quit watching my food intake.

I am starting completely fresh. I signed up for a new account today (I had a 967-day streak today on my old one!!!). I hope this helps. I have 40 to 50 pounds to lose. I am set up on a 1350 cal/day plan again. I still plan to walk and hike in the beautiful Minnesota fall weather. I am also signed up for 8fit (health app); I accidentally paid for a pro membership so I better freaking use it LOL!

Looking forward to giving this another go!

Replies

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck on your journey. Sometimes we get knocked down and come back stronger.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!!!
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back!! It's the struggles that make us stronger and more determined!! Keep the Faith in yourself and you will do great!!
  • TNClutchman
    TNClutchman Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting again. I registered again last night. I have been using MFP for a few years also. I did well a few years back. I have been slacking and have put back on all my weight that I lost. I need the support and focus that I get here. Best wishes on your journey. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Kdwishes
    Kdwishes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
  • NewYearNewMe140
    NewYearNewMe140 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!
  • gsheppy
    gsheppy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    congrats. I am also starting back again. its not easy. feel free to add me and we can give eachother the kick we need. I know I need a lot of kicking. lol
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, things will go your way this time.
  • rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You've taken the hardest step! to start again! Good Luck! You've got it this time!!! No slacking or slipping lol
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    right there with ya...except one year older. ;)
    I have 10 lbs off but still have 35 to go.
  • Reddsnoop
    Reddsnoop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations....I'm right there with you!! Same age and wanting the same goal!! Let's stay motivated..
  • MNhiking
    MNhiking Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody!
  • aboston5
    aboston5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fav quote "I'm going to succeed because I'm crazy enough to think I can!" Welcome back and you got this!
  • chuck6w
    chuck6w Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back Sometimes the hardest step is the first one its refreshing to be making positive steps in the right direction.
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!
  • gsheppy
    gsheppy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Happy labor day weekend everyone.