Not losing any weight

Options
I got married last year and put on 30 pounds in five months post marriage due to eating excessive junk food and no exercise. I finally woke up and joined a gym. I started exercising 4 times a week - cardio twice a week and lifting weights twice a week. I have also cut down on my sugar and salt intake, eat more healthily and cut down junk and eat out maybe twice a week on the weekends only. I try to eat less during the day if I know I'm going to eat out at night. I also drink two liters of water daily. Six weeks in and I have lost only three pounds. I had followed the same routine pre marriage and lost a lot of weight in the first month but now the scale is not budging. I also measured myself and have not lost any inches. I am so frustrated! Any advice will be helpful.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Three lbs in 6 weeks is good 0.5 lbs a week. If you want to do better log using weights I bet you are eating more than you think
  • bluebell90
    bluebell90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. It just gets so frustrating that I almost want to give up. The weight always drops a lot in the beginning months and I shudder to think if it's so slow in the beginning, how would it be later :(
  • indigoj9
    indigoj9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone else. 1/2 pound a week is good and slower is better anyway.....
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" food can still be full of lots of calories, so just eating supposed healthier foods doesn't mean you are eating less calories. If you aren't, you need to really start logging your food. Use a food scale and remember to weigh everything, even prepackaged food. It's all about calories in/vs calories out.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    77i8zdfyuoea.jpg
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You didn't mention calories, and that is the only thing that matters.

1. Get a food scale and use it for all solids and semi-solids, even scanned foods, fruit, etc.
    2. Double check the entries you are using in the database, many are user entered and wrong.
    3. Check in with yourself to make sure you are logging everything and hitting your calorie goal.
    4. Exercise burns can sometimes be exaggerated. So you might want to try only eating back half if you are currently eating all of them.

With 30 lbs to lose, you should really only be expecting to lose 1 lb per week. You've been losing half-a-lb which is slower but not nothing! I'd bet if you tighten up your logging you'll see that 1 lb per week soon. Good luck!

This. Best advice you will receive on this thread. You mentioned nothing about cals/food weighing/logging. Excercise matters not if you aren't properly doing the foregoing.
  • bluebell90
    bluebell90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for your advice ! I am definitely not pregnant. I will look more closely at what I'm eating and weigh it since I do have a food scale. I think I need to reduce eating out as I think I'm having too many calories that time. Unfortunately it's the Labor Day weekend and we have guests over at our place who want to go out and explore and of course eat and drink! Eeks!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    carrie2727 wrote: »
    Thanks to you all for your advice ! I am definitely not pregnant. I will look more closely at what I'm eating and weigh it since I do have a food scale. I think I need to reduce eating out as I think I'm having too many calories that time. Unfortunately it's the Labor Day weekend and we have guests over at our place who want to go out and explore and of course eat and drink! Eeks!

So just do the best you can this weekend, enjoy yourself, and buckle down on Tuesday with the food scale :). If I have several days like that, I try to limit the alcohol and sweets more than anything else, as they obviously don't fill me up. Mind you I didn't say I don't have any, but that's where I watch myself so I don't go overboard. Good luck!
  • raphonzel
    raphonzel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pls check with a doctor and if everything is okay pls checkout fasting esp intermittent fasting. Stay positive!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    carrie2727 wrote: »

Once you get started after the weekend log your calories. How can you know how much to eat to lose weight, if you don't know how much you're actually eating? Eyeballing portions and guesstimates are extremely inaccurate. Use the mfp goal setter and it will tell you how many calories you should be eating to lose a pound a week. If, after a month of eating the correct amount of calories, you aren't losing as expected, you are probably overestimating your calorie burn. Mfp overestimates it.

• Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? I have not been losing much weight for the last 3 weeks. My trainer asked me to measure my stats cuz I was looking thinner. I had lost inches!!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LISDTYEN TO THESE A HOLES, carrie. YOUR BODY IS INVOLUNTARY FIGHITNG AND USING INATE DEFENSIVE PROGRAMS TO DEFEND YOUR fatness. THIS IS WHAT THE BODY DOES AND IT IS WELL DOCUMENTED BY DR FRIEDNA

THIS SITE IS AN UNSCIENTIFIC SCAM

If your are trying to sound scientific and wise, it it best to not curse, use proper grammer and spell correctly.