loose skin..Please help!!

Options
Ok, here is some general background info, I am 38 I have been overweight all my life (size 22 at 18), topped out at size 30, about 350# IN 2007 Since then i have lost & maintained over 150#, still working on the last 40, I work out 6 days a week, mostly cardio.
Here is my question will my skin ever tighten up? My excess on my arms is 1/2 of my arm,it literally "slaps" when I run, I hate it!!! I have a pooch at my upper inner thighs, & of course a huge stomach flap. I can not afford surgery, also I'm a big chicken with needles. What if anything can do? I have never put this much info "out there but at this point I am desperate. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Strength training. Work your muscles. As the muscles become more defined - they will fill in some of the gap. Straight cardio is great (it is how I lost my weight) but strength training will change how your body looks! Trust me.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I agree..do some strength.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't have any idea but would love to hear suggestions... I have loose skin already and I know as I loose weight its only going to get worse and I definitely cant afford surgery either!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Go with the strength training (all over not just arms). See how you are doing in a year. You might need surgery for your arms eventually, but you are young enough you just might overcome the loose skin given time and training.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Keep going. I am not there yet but ALL the research I have done indicates that it does tighten up as your connective tissue catches up. I have read another theory that as you lose weight the fat isn't packed as tightly. When you lose enough it goes in (the person who wrote the article states - cringe - you never see loose skin on holocost victims - true). If my math is correct your goal right now is about 160. You might have to lose more than that? I don't know - I'm not there yet. There are creams and, I have also been told, dry skin brushing and massage also really help. I have been assured that it absolutely does go away.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It depends on how excessive it is. I've noticed very small changes in it tightening up, but every doctor I've talked to said I'm going to need surgery to get it fixed.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help with some loose skin, though it will never "tighten up" all the way.

Skin is elastic to a degree, so if you gain a few pounds and then lose it rather quickly (i.e. Too much celebrating in the holidays). Your skin will tighten up. However carrying a certain gross amount of excess weight for a long period of time (not sure on the exact amount or length of time) will cause the skin to lose it's "memory" and elasticity, thereby leaving "loose skin" where sub-epidermal fat deposits used to be.

If these are really causing you to have body-dismorphic feelings, you could always see a doctor about having cosmetic surgery to re-contour those areas to something that would be more pleasing to you.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Definitely work on some strength training. And hydration, inside and out! Drink you water up, and moisturize! It wont magically make everything better and tighter immediately, but it may help a bit.

And if you do eventually need surgery, they will knock you out for it, so you wont be awake for the needle parts!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    It does take time to tighten up, but it will never get to where it should have been had you not been so overweight, without surgery. I can tell you that stregth training will help a great deal because it really tightens and tones. I can't imagine not lifting weights. I love the way my arms look and my thighs are really nice because I do pilates and squats and lunges. The only experience I have had with loose skin is from having two kids and going from 180lbs to 125lbs. I have it on my stomach, but it seems to be getting better slowly. My youngest is 18 months.
  • kristinabb
    kristinabb Posts: 18
    Options
    I had this issue and still do to some extent. The ones who say weight/ strength train are right on track. Change your work outs up try things you dont normally try. Work new muscles etc.
    But dont fret yet. Sometimes it takes your body awhile to catch up. It will tighten up SOME on its own,
    If you arent skeptical of tanning beds and I know its a touchy issue but there are TONS of lotions they "tone while you tan" I use one from Sally's beauty supply. It was 6.99 for about a month's worth. Kinda tightens up the skin somewhat and helps if you have any stretch marks.
  • dchris99
    dchris99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I would have thought that in 3 years it would have tightened all that it is going to, but I am going to bump up my weights to see what I can do.