Unhealthy diet

Options
Can I lose body fat by eating unhealthy foods in a calorie deficit while exercising?

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes.

What's unhealthy?
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Let me clear it up. If you are diabetic, They will tell you to stay away from pasta, bread and fruit or at least cut down because they are high in carbs and diabetics are not processing those correctly.

But just start using the database on here and logging your foods and you will see the calorie count.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The point is if you eat simple (processed) carbs you tend to be sated for a short amount of time, which most times leads to over-eating (more calories in than you burn). However in the big picture it doesn't matter what you eat, just how much. If you can control yourself eating "unhealthy" foods and still maintain a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Yes it's that simple.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight just fine eating all sorts of foods...within moderation. Weigh all foods on a food scale, log them and stay within the calorie goal MFP gave you (losing 1lb per week setting). Be consistent with this and have patience and you'll see over time you are dropping weight. My diary is open, feel free to look.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Eat whatever you want. You'll figure out sooner or later which foods satiate you
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are calorie dense natural foods like nuts, olives, and all the fats.

The "white" foods that are getting all the bad press I would characterize as relatively low in micronutrients. And fiber. Typically missing the fiber. Highly digestible. And tasty besides.

Take a cheese burger, for instance. It's got all the macros. It's a full meal deal before the fries. But maybe higher in the fat and lower in the fiber than we like.
  • Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yup: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Even better news: you don't even have to exercise!

I thought if I don't exercise I'll lose muscle mass instead of body fat
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Yup: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Even better news: you don't even have to exercise!

I thought if I don't exercise I'll lose muscle mass instead of body fat

You lose both fat and muscle regardless, but you will lose less muscle if you exercise whilst losing weight, particularly strength training exercise (doesn't have to be lifting weights, even bodyweight exercises will help retain existing muscle). Adequate protein intake will also help to retain lean body mass.

So, get adequate protein (0.6-0.8g per lb of ideal body weight), eat whatever else you want within your calorie allotment (fat is important too, but you mention oily food, so...), do some strength training. Tada!!

*ETA caveat of for health and nutrition one should aim for a variety foods with plenty of veg, and a few treats where calories allow, but if all you're after is weight loss, and want to minimise muscle loss, the above will do the trick.
  • KiwiGirl38
    KiwiGirl38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I avoid high carb foods like bread and pasta but that's because I have type 1 diabetes and when I eat those foods I get really bad spikes in my sugars and feel like crap. Bad foods are calorie dense and therefor you use up your calories faster. I prefer to eat good quality foods. Sometimes it can be about the foods we eat as I want to look after my heart and organs. Yeah sure I could go out and eat McDonald's and Chinese and not a lot more but I think my body would love the nutrients and vitamins. It's also about our heart health.