Minimum weight loss but lost inches

Options
So, I have lost over 20kg so it has been a long journey. However, I had hit a plateau for the last 2 weeks. I lost 0.5kg today and the trainer asked me to measure myself.
I have lost an inch all over but 3inches from my hips and 2 inches from my arms. This is in 1 month. I m not sure if I should be sad about not losing enough weight or happy about losing inches. I am still 9 kg overweight

Replies

• glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think that is exciting! It happened to me the other month that the scale didn't budge more than half a pound, but all my clothes started slipping off. So something is happening, right? Good luck the rest of the way!
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's amazing well done, I read somewhere that muscle is heavier than fat and the closer to your goal the more likely this is to happen - would be interesting to see what your body fat levels are doing - I bet they have dropped. Weight is only one part of it
    Keep the fairy your doing great
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing some significant circumference! You're definitely making progress. Well done!
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I go through this same thing! Even when I'm not losing weight I'm losing inches I know this is good because my body is catching up with my weight loss but I still get pretty depressed. I shouldn't but unfortunately I live by my scale. I know it's not healthy it's just the way I am. I'm working on it though. It takes time. Looks at it this way at least we're losing somewhere instead of a dead stall. Good luck!
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs 3 times more than fat! If you are losing so many inches and still losing even a tiny bit of weight, then you are SUCEEDING BIG TIME!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Muscle weighs 3 times more than fat! If you are losing so many inches and still losing even a tiny bit of weight, then you are SUCEEDING BIG TIME!

no it does not. lb for lb it weighs the same. now volume wise it weighs more. losing inches means fat is being lost. doesnt mean someone is gaining a lot of muscle.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options

no it does not. lb for lb it weighs the same. now volume wise it weighs more. losing inches means fat is being lost. doesnt mean someone is gaining a lot of muscle.

Obviously lb for lb it weighs the same! And yes, volume wise it is heavier, that's what I'm saying. If you lose inches you are losing fat, if weight is not coming off then you are building Muscle, end of. Most importantly is is a good result. Happy face!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Obviously lb for lb it weighs the same! And yes, volume wise it is heavier, that's what I'm saying. If you lose inches you are losing fat, if weight is not coming off then you are building Muscle, end of. Most importantly is is a good result. Happy face!

if weight doesnt change it doesnt mean you are gaining muscle,it could mean water retention,waste in the body,etc. and a woman gains muscle a lot slower than a man, its hard in a surplus of calories but its even slower and harder in a deficit of calories, and in 2 weeks she is not going to gain enough muscle this far in to stop the scale from moving downward. sometimes it takes the scale a while to show results where a measuring tape can show what the scale doesnt.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options

if weight doesnt change it doesnt mean you are gaining muscle,it could mean water retention,waste in the body,etc. and a woman gains muscle a lot slower than a man, its hard in a surplus of calories but its even slower and harder in a deficit of calories, and in 2 weeks she is not going to gain enough muscle this far in to stop the scale from moving downward. sometimes it takes the scale a while to show results where a measuring tape can show what the scale doesnt.

You were spot on! Lost 2kg this week :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!