Dr or Physiotherapist?

Options
I'm not sure who I should go see.
I've got a muscle strain type of pain in my upper back below my right shoulder blade.
I've had it in varying degrees for the last couple of weeks.
Not sure what I did - whether it's from sitting at my desk....lifting my kayak onto my car or sleeping wrong on it ???????
Tried Robaxacet but it's not helping at all.
Suggestions ????

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My insurance requires me to see a Dr. to be referred to a physio if Dr. deems it necessary...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    My insurance works like cwolf's.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    A good physiotherapist is worth his/ her weight in gold, but usually you will need a Rx or reference. So make sure to ask your doctor for it, they don't always offer for some unknown reason.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. I can go see Physio whenever I like, without Dr's reference.
    Insurance covers up to $500 per year.
    No cost for Dr's visit either.
    Sort of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other..... that's why I was wondering what others thoughts
    on it were. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd go physio if a couple of days rest wasnt fixing it
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Either/or. Any decent Dr or physiotherapist will refer you to the other one if that's what you need. I'd choose whichever one you can get to first.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd do medical doctor first to rule out any internal medicine kind of issue, then physiotherapist (I'm an older critter than you, I think). But probably either place to start, assuming both options have competent people, is good enough.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm in UK; if I want an NHS physio, I have to see my doctor & get a referral. It can take months to get an appt. in Feb I had sudden onset knee pain; went to a highly recommended private physio (paid myself), she was amazing, sorted me right out. I would go to physio.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Dr first
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'd say Physio first as have tried Dr first and just been told - 'wait and see if it gets better with rest'.

Physio sorted it in one session by informing me I had a weak left hamstring which was causing IT Band issues and my lower back pain - gave me some exercises and I have never had the trouble since.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I've got a muscle strain type of pain in my upper back below my right shoulder blade.
    Not sure what I did - whether it's from sitting at my desk....lifting my kayak onto my car or sleeping wrong on it ???????
    Suggestions ????

I get similar pain if I have sat wonky at my desk and not realised. I used some ibuprofen gel for a couple of days and made sure to sit properly and stretch every hour - got better in a day or so.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. I can go see Physio whenever I like, without Dr's reference.
    Insurance covers up to $500 per year.
    No cost for Dr's visit either.
    Sort of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other..... that's why I was wondering what others thoughts
    on it were. :)

Go straight to the physio as they will have the required expertise to deal with the issue. The Dr will probably refer you to the physio so might as well cut out the Dr and go straight to the physio. While I'm no expert, sounds similar to what I had, rotator cuff issues. Physio will give you stretches and look at your work station as that could be another cause. Maybe ask work to get an ergonomist to come around and have a look. One did wonders for my work station.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My options for those symptoms would be:
    Osteopath - because I have recurring problems in that area that requites manipulation. In my particular case the muscle issue is the symptom not the cause.

But if I thought it was purely muscular:
    Physio or Sports Masseuse.

Doctor last resort only if symptoms didn't respond to treatment or were long term.

But a good Osteo, Physio, Masseur or Doctor will cross refer. The trick is in finding good ones of course!

• Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you don't need a referral, I would opt for a physio first and go from there.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    an actual injury and/or if it seemed more like something nerve-related might be a doctor thing, but in canada most gp's should really be understood to just be operating as a sort of clearing house/triage/intake stage in the treatment process. i kind of agree that for muscle stuff all roads are likely to lead to physio anyway.

so far my guideline is: if it seems like something even a physio might take some trial and error to figure out, then go to a doctor and see if you can get an x-ray or an mri or whatever to help dial in on the cause of it. but that's mostly because i'm a) impatient and b) paying for any physiotherapy out of pocket.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a physio and what you're describing definitely sounds appropriate for a physio to assess and treat. As stated above, if your physio has any cause to think it it something other than musculoskeletal they will send you straight to your Dr anyway. We're all trained to look for nasties which are only masquerading as musculoskeletal problems too :smile: Best of luck.
  • Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Suggestions ????

I would see your family doctor first to assess the problem.
    If they feel it is necessary for you to get physiotherapy they will recommend you then.

A lot of physiotherapy can be done at home, without the need of a physiotherapist.

I've got a condition that has riddled me with overuse injuries, inflammation and widespread pain. I always recommend seeing your physician first.

There are some yoga position that could aid you, they are called "recovery positions" for the back. (Example: laying on your back with your knees hugged to your chest)

See, there is no way to tell what you did to yourself.
    There is no way for any anecdote on MFP to provide you with 100% safe medical advice.
    It's really the area of your physician.

Good luck, feel better.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My wife went to the doctor. She found a my wife had Nant stained muscle in her neck at the base of her skull.
    3 days of muscle relaxers did the trick. Followed by exercises to keep the muscles loose and flexible.