Workout tanks (women's)

Options
Why are they all racer back? The sports bras I like have straps like a regular bra, so I can't wear racer back tanks with them. Anyone have any non racer back workout tanks they like? I don't care if they're cotton, I actually like cotton. But I don't really want to wear tanks from the regular clothes section as they tend to be a little more fitted, especially through the stomach. Going up a size just makes them too big in the arm holes and you can see down them. Help?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What about a bra converter?
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    You're working out, not walking the cat walk. Keep it functional and comfortable.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at men's workout tanks? Also, why can't you wear racerback tanks? I have sports bras with traditional style straps & wear racerbacks all the time. Maybe if I was going out shopping or to dinner I wouldn't want to have my bra straps showing, but it's the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is it a personal preference to not have your bra straps show? Years ago I remember it was a no-no but these days it's not a big deal. Though I understand if it's just personal preference.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't like it either. I probably wouldn't care, but my sports bras aren't of the cute and strappy variety. They're heavily engineered and not pretty. Just an personal aesthetic issue.

LLBean used to carry a nice one, but they seem to have discontinued it. Lands' End still has two options with a wider back, but they don't have colors I like.
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is it a personal preference to not have your bra straps show? Years ago I remember it was a no-no but these days it's not a big deal. Though I understand if it's just personal preference.

Yes, personal preference. And it's not just to the gym as I often pick the kids up from school or stop at the grocery store on the way home.
  • blonditz
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't like it either. I probably wouldn't care, but my sports bras aren't of the cute and strappy variety. They're heavily engineered and not pretty. Just an personal aesthetic issue.

LLBean used to carry a nice one, but they seem to have discontinued it. Lands' End still has two options with a wider back, but they don't have colors I like.

Exactly. In my size sports bras aren't pretty, they're functional. They look more like a regular bra than the sports bras most people think of when you say sports bra.
  • blonditz
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    Have you looked at men's workout tanks? Also, why can't you wear racerback tanks? I have sports bras with traditional style straps & wear racerbacks all the time. Maybe if I was going out shopping or to dinner I wouldn't want to have my bra straps showing, but it's the gym.

I'll have to check that out. I always figured the arm hole would be huge. Although honestly the idea of people seeing the sides of the bra bothers me much less than people seeing the straps. I realize that makes no sense.
  • blonditz
    Options
    What about a bra converter?

I've tried one. It changed the way the bra fit just enough to drive me crazy the entire workout. I have a hard time finding sports bras, so now that I found one I like I'd rather buy shirts to fit the bra rather than mess with the bra.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Target has lots of sleeveless and tank top type shirts that aren't racerbacks.

https://www.target.com/c/tops-activewear-women-s-clothing/-/N-5xtci
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    blonditz wrote: »

Yes, personal preference. And it's not just to the gym as I often pick the kids up from school or stop at the grocery store on the way home.

Ah. I have a lightweight jacket I throw over my tank for stuff like that. I got it at Old Navy in the Active Section.

I don't know about anyone else, but my grocery store is always set to Arctic Zone freezing and there's no way I'd want to go in there in a tank top anyway.

Anyway, that's probably why I don't worry about bra straps showing, even though my bras are super functional and not pretty at all.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Ah. I have a lightweight jacket I throw over my tank for stuff like that. I got it at Old Navy in the Active Section.

I don't know about anyone else, but my grocery store is always set to Arctic Zone freezing and there's no way I'd want to go in there in a tank top anyway.

Anyway, that's probably why I don't worry about bra straps showing, even though my bras are super functional and not pretty at all.

My bra shows when I am at the gym, then I throw a shirt on over it if I need to go grocery shopping or drop by the school.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I forgot about Duluth Trading! Yes! Excellent choice. The clothes are well-made and very functional. Good attention to detail.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Wear a t-shirt?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I see.

You might try looking in the pajama section for tanks. I get my workout tanks from that area because I can often find non clingy tanks there. I can't say off the top of my head if there are more non racer back tanks in that area but it's worth a shot.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If it's just about looks, learn to love layering. I do it all the time. Color coordinate. Have fun with it.