Workout support - teachers

Options
How do my fellow teachers motivate themselves to work out when you get home? I got home yesterday and was EXHAUSTED!! Hoping I can keep it together today and do SOMETHING when I get home. Advice/favorite workouts?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't go home. I go to the gym on the way home - it's planned regardless of how I feel.

If I went home I'd likely sit on the couch and relax, and not make it out the door again.
  • farmgirlco
    farmgirlco Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't go home. I go to the gym on the way home - it's planned regardless of how I feel.

If I went home I'd likely sit on the couch and relax, and not make it out the door again.

There's actually not a gym anywhere near work or home!! I usually work out at home - just need motivated to do so!! Lol
  • farmgirlco
    farmgirlco Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Don't go home, go to the gym before you go home. Make it a task that you can't get out of so that you don't find excuses.

If you have a family - Go to the gym before they wake up. Go at 5 or 6 am. It helps to be done with the gym in the early morning

Make it a part of your routine.

Reward yourself by setting a goal.

First goal - Show up 3 times in one week - Goal crushed, buy yourself flowers
    Next goal - Show up 3 times per week for 2 weeks - Buy yourself new shoes
    Third goal - Show up 3 times per week for 4 weeks - Buy yourself a cute dress/jeans/top
    Fourth goal - Show up 3 times per week for 6 weeks - Buy yourself a bloody spa day
    Fifth goal - Show up 3 times per week for 8 weeks - Treat yourself with something you've always wanted but haven't been able to justify buying it cause it a) wasn't necessary or b) too expensive

Going to the gym 3 times per weeks is now a habit. You've gone to the gym 3 times each week for 20 weeks and there's no turning back now ;)

I like the idea of rewarding myself for showing up - there's no gym local I work out at home. It rewarding myself would be a good way to get me to do it!!
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Change into your workout clothes the minute you get home (or even bring them to school and change there). I started doing that last year and it really helped me get in my workout. I always felt silly sitting there in my gear and not doing the workout.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Change at school, come home, drop your stuff and work out!

My gym is 20mins past my house in the opposite direction to school, I literally drive past my house to go to the gym. If I let myself stop I'll just stop altogether from tiredness! So don't stop!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    farmgirlco wrote: »
    How do my fellow teachers motivate themselves to work out when you get home? I got home yesterday and was EXHAUSTED!! Hoping I can keep it together today and do SOMETHING when I get home. Advice/favorite workouts?

I know exactly what you mean! I was worthless after school. I bought a reasonably priced treadmill ( no bells and whistles) and I get on it first thing every morning for just a mile. Over the day, I'd usually add two more miles walking purposefully (and not) but it worked for me. I'm a morning person, I guess! No time to dread it or talk myself out of it. And I'd watch the news too.

• WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    farmgirlco wrote: »

I was dealing with the same issue so I changed my workout time. Try waking up 30 minutes earlier and doing your workouts before work. I found it a bit difficult for the first few days but now I love it and it increases my energy and makes me more aware of my food choices.

Good luck and I hope you find a plan that works best for you.
  • Volbeat79
    Volbeat79 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree with the morning workouts. I am a morning person and like to wake up early and go run before school. It makes me feel much better throughout the day, and I feel proud that I made the conscious decision to do something to better myself. I'm from Washington also.
  • Gisellenid
    Gisellenid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm waking up 1 hour earlier. I found in YouTube more of Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home programs, and try to do at least the 30 minutes cardio. It has help me to start the day with more energy. Saldly. I live 30 minutes from work, so when I arrive back to home, I'm tired AF, so I don't have any chances to do work outs or gym after work, but its in my wish list. Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Go straight to the gym, do not go home first!
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've started working out before work. I'm just too tired after spending the day teaching fifth graders. I get up at 5:45 and spend time on the treadmill. Then I hop back into bed in front of a fan for a bit before showering and heading off to school.
  • girl1451
    girl1451 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    These are helpful. I live 30 from work and town and I bring my son to and from school with me. I tried scheduling an evening workout for myself at home, but am so exhausted and still have work to do or lunches or cleaning. I know I can always find an excuse... maybe mornings would be better. Summer hasn't helped me with early mornings :(
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do it before, during or after. It's one of the main ways I stay sane during term time.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    5cheetahs wrote: »
    I go before school at 5am, put my workout stuff next to my bed. I look terrible and have gone with my shirt and/or pants inside out, lol, but I get it done!

Well I have actually arrived at work with my shirt inside out so your post confirms that working out before work is better! It's better to show up to your workout disheveled than it is to show up at work disheveled!

But I agree in the morning is best if you can. You just feel better all around. Then when you get home you can just do home stuff.