Supplements needed?

Options
What supplements do you take? Are they needed for initial weight loss or only for more specific needs? I take a decent quality women's vitamin,but what would benefit me most? Lightly active,walk a lot, on feet a lot. .persistent joint and muscle pain disproportionate to the work outs I do

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No supplements can "aid" weight loss, and they are not "needed" for weight loss. A well-rounded diet is much better than supplements. If you are overweight, chances are pains and aches will subside as you lose weight.
  • cbillings78
    cbillings78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks..not looking for something to aid the weightless so much as ease transitions in muscle ,skin and health.I never had joint /muscle pain at heavier weights..blood work is fine
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you have persistent joint and muscle pain I would consult a doctor. Beyond that if you get adequate protein and fats in your diet there aren't supplements you should take. Nothing on the market will speed up or help weight loss.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The only supplementation I take are protein shakes and that's simply because it helps reach my protein goal for the day. I will very rarely take pre workout when I'm desperate for energy (normally during cuts). But even that is only half a scoop. IMO - almost all supplements are a waste of money.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah, agreed with the "don't bother with supplements unless your doctor says otherwise." My doctor has me on a D supplement after measuring a severe deficiency, and folic acid because I'm thinking about having kids in the not-too-distant future. I'm planning on asking about an iron supplement because I want to give blood regularly. I suppose technically giving blood leads to a little bit of temporary weight loss!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've been taking glucosamine and chondroitin. I don't know if it really helps or if just my weight loss made the difference but I feel alot better. Second suggestion - check your thyroid. Joint pain is a symptom of low thyroid. Third and less attractive is it could be arthritis. Hopefully that's not the case. If it is arthritis over the counter pain meds are the best option for now.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor regarding the joint and muscle pain. Until you get a proper diagnosis it is better not to take any kind of medication or supplements.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin/mineral / fish oil and afew grams of fiber a day. The ones I get are quality brands with third party testing and it costs about $25 a month. Do I need them perhaps not everyday. But they do not hurt. Just do not think the more they cost the better they are. Some people here are very anti supplement, but I feel it is a individual choice.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I had bad joint and muscle pain...my doctor recommended physio because it turns out I have some too-weak muscles and others are overcompensating. I have weak glutes and a weak ankle muscle, and it ended up with a super tight IT band and a whole host of hip/knee/ankle pain from light workouts. If you take something that won't help the issue. I thought I just wasn't stretching enough or the right things but that was also wrong. Sometimes you just need a medical opinion.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My SO has a lot of joint pain and collagen seems to be helping him, it was recommended to him by his primary.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin/mineral and Vitamin D3. I am considering magnesium.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If you've not been diagnosed as having any sort of deficiency or medical reason to supplement your diet, it's a waste of money and in some cases can hurt your health.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you've not been diagnosed as having any sort of deficiency or medical reason to supplement your diet, it's a waste of money and in some cases can hurt your health.

Regarding myself - My Dr. knows of my multivitamin. He also recommends D3 for those who don't get the recommended amount of sunlight. Myself - I do not take D3 all year, though I continue with my multivitamin.