Military diet

Options
Has anyone tried the military diet.. is it effective

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's a VLCD so you won't get any support here...
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just read up on this. It ranges from 1100-1300 on your low days to 1500 on your high days. I do 1200 calories everyday and am not considered VLCD. 800 Calories is VLCD. Then again I'm short so depends on the person I suppose but definitely not VLCD
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's an awful mix of foods that has nothing to do with military.

Just eat any foods you like to your calorie goals. Foods don't dictate weight loss. Calories in versus calories out does.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    When I was in the military my diet was mostly fast food and booze. Lots, and lots, of booze. Downrange it was MREs, cigarettes, and RipIt energy drinks.

I would not recommend a military diet to anyone.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    When I was in the military my diet was mostly fast food and booze. Lots, and lots, of booze. Downrange it was MREs, cigarettes, and RipIt energy drinks.

I'm more tempted to try that version :D
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

It's effective! It also makes you feel like death warmed over. It's important to note that getting drunk then chugging Pedialyte before a fitness test is the most effective method of passing your fitness test when following that type of diet. ;)
  • jdlobb
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

It's effective! It also makes you feel like death warmed over. It's important to note that getting drunk then chugging Pedialyte before a fitness test is the most effective method of passing your fitness test when following that type of diet. ;)

I was more a fan of the Pepto-juice-box before pt myself
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I was more a fan of the Pepto-juice-box before pt myself

They made a mistake of teaching us how to give IV's.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Wiggymommy wrote: »
    I just read up on this. It ranges from 1100-1300 on your low days to 1500 on your high days. I do 1200 calories everyday and am not considered VLCD. 800 Calories is VLCD. Then again I'm short so depends on the person I suppose but definitely not VLCD

It's still a load of old bollocks whether you think it's low calories or not...
  • jdlobb
    Options
    I always get a chuckle when some ex-SEAL drops a new workout book or diet plan (be real, it's always a seal). I've known a lot of operators in my career, and most of their diet and workout routines would send this forum into a blind rage.
  • Angel49kitty
    Angel49kitty Posts: 22 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Here's the thing that my nutritionist and my brother (personal trainer with masters in rehabilitation science) both say:

NEVER put an extreme limit on your calorie intake, ESPECIALLY if you're doing any sort of fitness/exercising. Most calorie-limiting diets are scientifically proven to be ineffective simply because of our biology: if you limit your calories too much, your body will think it's starving and find the sustenance elsewhere (which will be your muscles first).
    Will you lose weight? Yup. But it won't be fat. Exercise is the only real way to burn off fat. The key for diet is to eat *healthy* and balanced, ensuring you're taking in the nutrients your body needs to function (or taking vitamin supplements if that's a problem).
  • jyotisidhu123456
    Options
    I m starting this diet today & also gonna do exercise.. lets see how it goes...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

Why ask the question if you are going to ignore the advise?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a silly fad diet, that I think started out as a joke.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Enjoy your hot dogs!