I'm desperate and I don't know what to do

Options
Guys, I'm desperate. Idk when I'll ever lose weight. Texas got hit by a hurricane and it hit my diet as well. I found out I have PCOS so on top of me probably not being able to have anymore kids, having prediabetes due to the PCOS at the age of 23, it's very very easy for me to gain and very very hard to lose weight. I don't know what to do. I'm only 23, why is all this happening to me. I take one step forward and ten back.

Replies

• day17
    day17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Are you working with doctors and a registered dietitian? That's probably the best place to start. I would also consider finding a community of women with PCOS.

My ex-sister in law has PCOS. She's managed it well with some medications and has had two children after being diagnosed.

My doctor sucks. He came in, said "you have cysts on your ovaries and have PCOS. I'm gonna give you metformin and come back in 3 months." Then left the room. I couldn't even ask him any questions. I can't find a doctor that takes my insurance.
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    *sigh*
    Keto isn't for everyone, and keto isn't for everyone that has PCOS.

Keto is not for me. But very informative article.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There are groups here for PCOS support and could be a great place for resources.

There are also many people with it who have successfully lost so no need to despair.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    In most countries you have the right to ibformed consent before agreeing to any course of treatment , including medications. I'd see if it applies in your area then visit your doctor and politely remind him. Also being friendly with the nurses might help you learn the names of doctors they respect , which counts for a lot !

If not , see if you have access to a nurse practioner. Good luck in your health journey.
  • day17
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    First, take a deep breath. PCOS is a manageable condition, if not a curable one.

I conceived two kids after getting down out of the obese range (like, at the exact BMI, to the pound), so I'd suggest that you focus on weight loss. Calorie counting is king. Women with PCOS may burn fewer calories than the calculators expect, so if you're not losing as expected, you may need to drop a little lower. Not a lot, just a little.

If you're insulin resistant, you'll want to watch your carb intake. I'm not, but eat as if I am because diabetes is prevalent in my family. Carbs also tend to spike my appetite, so I keep them complex and/or paired with protein or fat. This may not be true for you, so experiment on yourself.

Exercise can really help, not only by giving you some more calories. It acts as an appetite suppressant for me and can moderate blood pressure and blood sugar. It's also a good stress reducer, which it sounds like you need. :)

Keep any changes you make sustainable and enjoyable. It's better to have an imperfect diet with a sustainable calorie deficit, than an optimized diet that you give up on after a month. Your good habits will give you success, not super-human efforts that don't last.

I'm 46 years old, have two biological kids (one of which was an "oops!" so clearly my fertility issues resolved themselves!). I started at 248 lbs, am now at 182, and my goal is 167. If I can do it, you can too. :)

First off, congrats on your weight loss! That's great that you could lose weight and the fact that health problems run in your family is also a great motivation. Diabetes definitely runs in my family too, so that's why it scared me more. I am currently 248 pounds and my goal is near yours-170. I've been "dieting" since as far back as I can remember. But what always makes me quit is a ALWAYS completely cut out carbs, until a few months back when I had my second daughter. I started taking phentermine(my doctor prescribed it) and I lost 15 pounds in one month. That month was hell for me though because I was really really depressed. I didn't cut out anything other than the fact that I barely ate.

I now know that I need food, but just to stay below my calorie count for the day. I do have two kids but this is the first time that I've ever been diagnosed with this due to no periods and weight gain. I don't know if this is something I've always had or it suddenly happened, which worried me more because my husband and I do want more children.
    I'm also 23. I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS and don't think I have it, but have very similar symptoms that include abnormal amount of body hair (high testosterone levels), ovary cysts, insulin resistance and depression. Those factors make it very hard to lose weight, but I decided I am not going to let it stop me from trying.

It took me seven years from being diagnosed with insulin resistance to reverse that status before it could turn to diabetes. I very gradually reduced my intake of sugar and increased my intake of proteins (mostly plant based). I cut out sodas and most junk food, and if I want to have something, I eat a very small portion of it. I am in no way following a keto diet.

The cysts had landed me in the emergency room twice, where I was given strong medications for the pain. I have only fainted once in my life, and it was due to the pain. My periods were irregular and awful, and my hormones all over the place. I don't have a supportive doctor either, so I started doing my own research. I insisted to be put on the pill (Qlaira, to be specific) in order to help regulate my hormones. I've been on the pill for eight months now and it has helped a lot.

I lose weight slower than most people because of all of this, but after eight months of really focusing on changing my eating habits FOREVER (not just a temporary diet) I lost around 22lbs. It's a lifestyle change, and won't come with a quick fix. I know it is discouraging when you hit a plateau (I've had one for three months now, which is finally bulging a little bit) but sadly this is our lives, and we should accept it and move on. Being angry, resentful, upset, etc about the diagnosis will not change a thing. This is entirely up to you. You need to be focused and realize some have it harder than others, but nothing is impossible. Incorporate exercise into your diet as well. It helps to keep the metabolism active and releases endorphins among other feel-good hormones.

It does sound like you have PCOS, maybe see a different doctor? I am also severely depressed, which just adds more to the other health issues I have. I so desperately want to lose weight, but I give up easily. If I pig out one day, it turns into weeks. Then I gain weight and feel even worse and the cycle starts all over again.

Congrats on your weight loss. Even if it was a slow one, props to you on not giving up! Is this medication you took birth control or is it just something to help with your period? I also haven't had a period for 9 months now.
  • shalisa7
    shalisa7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and had one daughter and she has it as well as diabetes type one. She has a son with no fertility treatment x Always hope x I'm not sure if it effects my weight as always been large x
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the diet or losing weight with PCOS but my friend has it and had 2 daughters via fertility treatments and then, SURPRISE, she got pregnant with her third with no fertility treatments at all. Don't give up hope.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Pcos is associated with increased insulin resistance. Keeping your blood sugar stable, eating high fibre carbs and less added sugar and moderate exercise should help (increases glucose utilisation). The metformin will help your body use the insulin it has too
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through a tough time; my thoughts are with Houston and the state of Texas after the storm.

It sounds like your doctor is a piece of crap.

I don't know what to tell you, except that things won't be like this forever. So much feels out of your control, but start with something that you CAN control: can you start working out? Can you try improving your access to better food? You don't have to do everything at once "or else". I too had a cousin who had PCOS and she's had 2 kids, though she's struggled with her weight as well. Life will throw you curveballs, but they're not your destiny.

I also echo what someone else said about weightlifting, and I want to share this article with you: https://greatist.com/live/dealing-with-depression-how-weight-lifting-helped-me

Wishing you love and support. <3
  • day17
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support. I guess I just need to accept the fact that this is me and get started on getting healthier. My health has been out of whack for 9 months now and with the health problems already in my family, I don't want to live a life on medications and insulin.
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you have PCOS, maybe see a different doctor? I am also severely depressed, which just adds more to the other health issues I have. I so desperately want to lose weight, but I give up easily. If I pig out one day, it turns into weeks. Then I gain weight and feel even worse and the cycle starts all over again.

Congrats on your weight loss. Even if it was a slow one, props to you on not giving up! Is this medication you took birth control or is it just something to help with your period? I also haven't had a period for 9 months now.[/quote]

It's birth control. It took a while for me and my doctor to find one that works, and I decided to stick to it. It gives me regular periods that lasts two days and the flow is very light. It used to be excruciatingly painful and heavy, and lasted easily up to 8 days. I think I've missed two periods whilst on the pill, but experienced no discomfort.

I decided to make a lifestyle change and that losing weight should be considered an added bonus. With this mindset I will keep on without being discouraged when the inevitable plateau hits me.

I read you struggle to maintain a diet when you cut out carbs: I don't do that at all. I know I need carbs, it is tasty, it is fun, and it is sociable (I don't want to eat salad when a party is going, if you know what I mean). I simply reduced the intake, and I mostly combine it with proteins at meals. As someone who is depressed, I don't want to take away the food type that actually helps (with moderation). The way I am eating now is a way I want to eat when I am 30, 40, 70. It has to be sustainable, and it has to be enjoyable. So don't see dieting as "I cannot eat this"; just see it as "I need to eat less of this". Another reason for me to eat carbs is because my family has a history of high cholesterol. I don't want to substitute carbs for fat, because it will be more dangerous in the end. I was insulin resistant, I am not anymore, and I still enjoy pastas, fries, potatoes, bread, etc.

Just know the most important part is that you should be kind to yourself. This sounds cliched, but tell yourself: I am not punishing you, I am helping you. Eating healthy isn't a jail sentence, it's a gateway to a healthier you, and in consequence, a happier you.

You can message me if you want to. I KNOW what you're going through. My family is riddled with depression, and I was sent to a psychologist when I was just seven. I have also been fat since then, so I know everything about how it feels.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the same thing to some people, but regarding children, there are always kids that need a loving home. You can always adopt a child who needs you as much as you need them :) you could still have a whole herd of little ones no matter what happens with your PCOS.

I wish you luck finding ways to deal with everything. I don't have PCOS, but I do have endo and while it's not the same, it has its own issues to deal with, and I feel for you.
  • day17
    Options
    I know it's not the same thing to some people, but regarding children, there are always kids that need a loving home. You can always adopt a child who needs you as much as you need them :) you could still have a whole herd of little ones no matter what happens with your PCOS.

I wish you luck finding ways to deal with everything. I don't have PCOS, but I do have endo and while it's not the same, it has its own issues to deal with, and I feel for you.

I do have two children, which makes me wonder if I've had this all along or if it happened after the birth of my second daughter(that's when all my problems started.)
    I appreciate your kind words and I hope you too find a way to deal with your endo. I know some people who struggle with that as well.