Adding running to help lose weight

Options
Hey guys!

So since April I've been creating a calorie deficit of -1500 calories a day. Since then I've managed to lost 3 stone. During that time I've had a couple of holidays and things where I haven't been completely on it.

Now the winter is coming and things are settling down I'm going to add running to my routine to try and aid my weight loss. Just so you know I'm 18st 10lbs. I'd like some advice on how best to get started with running and the best ways to incorporate running into losing weight.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Work up to it slowly to avoid injury.

Have you looked at the Couch to 5K website? Its a free program that helps you progress to a 5K in nine weeks - at a reasonable rate to avoid injury.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    -1500 deficit-- a day?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    -1500 deficit-- a day?

I thought the same thing. 18st 10 is 262 pounds. Maybe if the OP is 5'1" it's not that bad, normal height - no way. Eeek, that's a HUGE deficit to have daily.
  • Mannojunior
    Mannojunior Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a day. I'm 5ft 10 :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    Running in itself won't help you lose weight. It takes time before you are running enough miles to burn many calories. Walking does the same thing, with less impact, but takes longer to burn the same number of calories. i.e. I can walk 4 miles in an hour, but can run 6 in the same time. But it took months before I could run 6 miles in an hour. Running is good exercise, but not a magic pill. You want to be careful not to eat back more calories than you burn.

Start with walking, if you aren't doing it now. When you can walk briskly for 45 minutes, then you can add short bursts of easy running into your walks. Gradually increase the duration of the running portions. If you prefer structure, C25k is a good program that has gotten a lot of people running. RunZombieRun is similar. Both combine walking and running, gradually increasing the duration of the runs. Keep your running pace very slow and easy - aim for a jog, not sprint. If you do C25k, repeat days or weeks if necessary. Don't do more than the program calls for. It takes time to build the muscles, tendons, etc. so they can handle the repetitive motion. Especially when you are heavier.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Ha. Running make me so hungry I've basically been at a standstill since starting my 10K program. And that's only 3 days a week...
  • iheartchocolate2016
    Options
    I definitely would say do the couch 2 5k. It starts off with walking and running. I am not a runner and am almost at the end. I've taken my time and slowly built up to running for ten minutes straight x2. Doesn't sound like much, but it's huge for me,and it's great for losing weight and shaping up. I wish I'd done it sooner. I think you need to be committed to going out 4-5 times a week tho. You can do very small bursts or runs and walks, and stick at a pace till you feel ready to push for more. I'm using the Zen apps one and it's very good but there are many out there. Wishing you well. I think the one advice I would give is find what works for you and go for it. I tried the 30 day shred which is great too maybe start with something like that. It definitely got me moving and when you feel ready move to running and walking. You sound like you're doing well just try something until it works or futs where you're doing and go for it. Persevere and you'll get results.