eBooks or traditional?

Options
JerSchmare
JerSchmare Posts: 1,214 Member
For me, I go back and forth. eBooks are so convenient. And I seem to read more for a variety of reasons. But, other times, I love the feel of a real book.

Just wondering how others feel.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I prefer the e-reader. Some people really romanticize the feel and smell of a book, but I just see books as clutter. I recently downsized all of my books to fewer than ten. I've used my e-reader ever since.

But damn there are some crappy free ebooks :lol:
  • Bearded1der
    Bearded1der Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I prefer paper. Not only do you typically read faster on a paper medium rather than digital, but I can’t concentrate as well with digital books.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Kill The Trees !
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Traditional. No worrying about battery life and I can loan traditional books to friends all I want, I have a few that we just trade books.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I prefer paper. Not only do you typically read faster on a paper medium rather than digital, but I can’t concentrate as well with digital books.

I know that "they" say this. However, I'm on a computer all day at work. I amused to reading on a backlit screen. I read more voraciously on an ereader. Traditional books take me much longer and I find them awkward to hold.

My only beef is that with paperbacks i was able to hold the book and turn the pages with one hand while the other hand could remain tucked. Now it requires two hands. Not a dealbreaker. But I do miss that one little thing.

Of course the one handed page flip backfired many times and I ruined lots of smut books in the tub this way, so there's that.
  • keiram555
    keiram555 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's so nice not to have to lug around all the books I'm reading, but I do like the feeling of turning pages. A touch screen just doesn't quite do it
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I like either but prefer a real book only for the smell. It's just one of those things.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »

I know that "they" say this. However, I'm on a computer all day at work. I amused to reading on a backlit screen. I read more voraciously on an ereader. Traditional books take me much longer and I find them awkward to hold.

My only beef is that with paperbacks i was able to hold the book and turn the pages with one hand while the other hand could remain tucked. Now it requires two hands. Not a dealbreaker. But I do miss that one little thing.

Of course the one handed page flip backfired many times and I ruined lots of smut books in the tub this way, so there's that.

I like paperbacks because I can hold them with my left hand while keeping my right hand down the front of my pants..... where it belongs.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    E- books first and if I really liked the book I buy them in paperbacks.
  • tinadraper1967
    tinadraper1967 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Both. :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Ebooks 110%

I have 6-10 books in my phone right now I can read any anytime.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I like both, but it's much easier to carry my books on my phone, than in my purse. Plus, I've developed fibro, and regular books can be a bit painful after a while.
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    ExileFromTheNorth Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Real books - as a primary/elementary teacher, the tactile nature of s real book stimulates far more in the mind than an ebook

Developmentally - turning a page evokes far more than scrolling through
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    @ motorsheen wrote: "I like paperbacks because I can hold them with my left hand while keeping my right hand down the front of my pants..... where it belongs."

LMAO :D .

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Real books only.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I like the smell and feel of books
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member