Vitamin supplements and weight loss?

Options
How important is taking your daily vitamins in relation to losing weight?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    People that NEED to take vitamins are ones who DON'T supply them in their food intake. And usually that's someone on an EXTREME calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm take a woman's multi, pro biotic, fish.oil, pre workout and an immune boost.... My partner and I nickname it our pharmacy...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, during famine (a regular occurrence before the Green Revolution) people would eat anything barely edible. This might include grass, leaves, bark, and shoe leather. That sort of desperation diet could result in deficiencies.

Audrey Hepburn (1929-1993) suffered digestive issues due to trouble getting enough to eat during the occupation through WW2.

Nowadays our shelves are stocked and a varied diet is fairly easy to put together.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Interesting! How many of you think that food is as nutritious as it use to be? There are several reports that the food we eat (the healthy stuff; that comes from the earth) is NOT as nutritious as it use to be.

I don't think you can make generalized comparisons like that, and I certainly think that nutrient dense foods like vegetables and fruits, for example, are adequately nutritious and that they (and other foods that supply nutrients) are on average much more available to us and in a much greater variety than most times in the past. I'm reasonably sure that my diet contains more nutrients than my various great-great-whatever grandparents in the 1880s, for example, and they mostly lived on farms.
    we are constantly putting other toxins (food, air, skin products) into our bodies

I wonder where this toxin theory of weight comes from? Because it takes responsibility off things like eating too much or being sedentary? Not focusing on you, but it's obviously really popular right now.

I really don't think the body wash I use is going to make me fat.

More significantly, since you mention air, in some ways the enviroment we live in is a lot cleaner than at other times, like the '70s (pre Clean Air Act/Clean Water Act, when things like smog and acid rain were problems in the US, lead was more common, and things like asbestos, various other environmental toxins that we've since been cleaning up, rivers catching on fire, so on). But forget that, how about urban parts of the UK in the middle and later Victorian Age? Yet lots of extremely thin people there. Malnuourished, of course, but not fat. Generally malnourishment makes people thin.
    how should we expect our bodies to release something toxic like unwanted and unhealthy fat?

Why would one have anything to do with the other? I genuinely do not understand this. Fat is stored energy, basically (that has other negative effects if store in too great quantities, yes). It's not a toxin that the body perceives as such and seeks to remove. If so, we wouldn't store it as we do. What makes fat easy to accumulate is that the body perceives it as a good thing to have energy on hand.

Anyway, I don't think daily vitamins are important to losing weight, but I don't think they hurt. I did not take a multi when I was losing, but I supplemented D in the winter (and I eat lots of fatty fish or I'd take fish oil or a vegan option made from algae).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The point is that there is no Vitamin that will aid or accelerate weight loss.

It's the deficit (what we don't eat) that aids weight loss.

There's no pill, no panacea.

For health and nutrition, I do get my blood levels checked and I do take a variety of vitamins and minerals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm a bit disappointed in the people who think vitamins are irrelevant/unnecessary. There are actual illnesses that are proven to affect people's vitamin levels.
    They are unnecessary for the GENERAL PUBLIC, if they are eating a balanced diet. People that have deficiencies due to health or illness issues may need supplementation.
    For example, I have iron-deficiency anemia because my small intestine doesn't absorb nutrients properly due to celiac disease (an uncommon condition). Without iron, the body won't produce enough red blood cells which are needed to carry oxygen to your organs to function. ie if I don't take my iron supplement, my organs will literally shut down and I can die. It's an illness that has no cure, all you can do is manage the symptoms. We discovered this when I had dangerously low blood pressure and could no longer walk more than ten minutes without passing out.

My overall point is if you suspect a vitamin deficiency, talk to your doctor. It's more likely that your diet lacks something as opposed to an illness (but it's best to test and be certain before assuming). If you *don't* have an illness affecting it (usually digestive illnesses like Crohn's or celiac) then vitamins can be useful to keep vitamin levels stable while you adjust your diet, but you should always consult a doctor before starting.
    So obviously what you have to do is much different than a person looking to use supplements to lose weight. Yours is to have normal function and without them, you can't. Different circumstance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, vitamins are not a direct part of the "weight" question. With "direct" being the key word.

Calories are a huge part of that question (weight). And, as we all know from our macro tracking, Proteins and Carbs and Fats consumed all add up to the number of calories taken in. So, macro-nutrients are what we mostly track.

Vitamins and minerals are part of the micro-nutrient side of this question. Now, how do we get micro-nutrients? Generally speaking - in a perfect world - from our nutrition. So, from what we eat. In a perfect world, there would be no need for multi-vitamins. Because we would all get everything that we need - both macro- and micro-nutrient wise - from our nutrition.

However, generally speaking - we do not focus on the micro-nutrient side of things. It is very possible that a lot of us have deficiencies in vitamin and mineral intake. Do I have any data from any studies to reference? No....I do not at the moment.

I strongly recommend - generally speaking - the everyone take a good multi-vitamin. Especially people over 40 (of which I am one). Generally speaking!

But, best to have blood work done to identify any deficiencies and then attempt to correct any found deficiency from a nutritional perspective. So, if you are found to be lacking in iron, eat more spinach! And make sure - for the iron deficiency situation - to include Vitamin C and Vitamin B12 (ascorbic acid helps the body to better absorb the iron)......

Food will almost always be a better way than taking a multi-vitamin. Not necessarily easier, just better.

Assuming that there are no health considerations (and several of those considerations have been addressed here) taking a multi-vitamin or not has no direct effect on weight loss. Short term!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don't think my vitamin/mineral deficiencies have to do with declining soil conditions or Big Agriculture.

I do think they are the result of me not eating enough of those certain foods and some kind of absorption issue my doctors are trying to figure out.

Vitamins do not contribute to weight loss. However, there are some deficiencies which can effect energy levels and less activity can translate to fewer calories out. Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and iron can all lead to fatigue when you don't have enough.

If you're not sure if your levels are adequate, ask your doctor for blood tests to determine that.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    So, if you are found to be lacking in iron, eat more spinach! And make sure - for the iron deficiency situation - to include Vitamin C and Vitamin B12 (ascorbic acid helps the body to better absorb the iron)......

Food will almost always be a better way than taking a multi-vitamin. Not necessarily easier, just better.

Assuming that there are no health considerations (and several of those considerations have been addressed here) taking a multi-vitamin or not has no direct effect on weight loss. Short term!

Iron from vegetable sources is not as readily absorbed by the body as that from animals sources. Unless you're a vegetarian, go for the meat. And do take that Vitamin C to help it absorb. Spinach has a lot of Vitamin C--so you can get a bit of a two-fer. But avoid the glass of milk, as calcium and iron compete with resources for absorption.

Signed,
    Chronically Anemic
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a diagnosed deficiency - completely irrelevant.