I rode my bicycle

Options
I can't believe it! And for longer than just around the block to make sure I still knew how to ride a bike! I rode for 19 minutes!!!

Okay, so my arthritic knee gave me problems in the beginning... so much so that I thought for sure I wasn't going to make it very far. But I kept on pushing and by block 10 or so my knee stopped hurting and was moving easier. Then I had to face the big, steep hill at the top of my street, which I approached from a round-about way - going around several blocks and down several streets first to get my momentum up. But then the big moment came and I pushed and pushed and slowed and slowed and..... oh... I didn't make it...

But I was "thisclose" to making it to the top. So I got off the bike and walked it up the last few feet, took a little breather, a drink off the bottle of water, and then started on my way again.

My thighs were burning by the time I headed back towards home, but I kept peddling... slow and steady wins the race, right. Next thing I knew, I was home again.

I though for sure I'd been out there for about 30 minutes... but no... it was just 19.
But that's okay, because it was still a victory.

I stayed on my bike for 19 minutes!!

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    That's one of my goals! Congratulations I know it felt great!
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    awesome,awesome job!!!!
  • jesscowart0501
    jesscowart0501 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thats awesome! i ride my bike alot too...its an easy way to get in exercise for a mom cuz i can say "im playing with the kids" and it makes it easier than saying "exercising" for me anyways...before i know it i been out for 45 mins or a hour and 500 cals burned. with 2 tired out kids. best of both worlds:)
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I havent rode a bike in like 17 years or more...but I keep telling my husband that I want to get one. Maybe I should try one out first before I go buy one...lol
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    love it! i can feel the ride. been there!

you're gonna do great things on that bike. you already have :)
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Great victory. Mine is going to be running. When I can run for ANY length of time that will be a victory!!! hahaha
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Great victory. Mine is going to be running. When I can run for ANY length of time that will be a victory!!! hahaha

18 months ago I couldn't trot to the end of my street. Finished a half marathon in June. YOU can do it!
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congrats

My first ride this year was 2.5 miles to the top of a hill.

Then I started doing 5 miles took around an hour.

Now I am doing 10 mile in 45 min. I take 25 mile rides on weekends.

I have done on 40 mile ride, I am going to try to do a century (100 miles) bike ride this fall.

I feel great

Your on a great start, Keep up the good work.

3923567.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

One day at a time.

Cheers
  • lori0287
    lori0287 Posts: 112
    Options
    Tackling the hill -- courageous workout.... good for you! Sounds like you are mindful of your knee, which is terrific. Take the time to stretch (quad stretch & stretch the hamstring group). Keep that knee happy and keep pedaling!
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike for the first time in 4 or 5 yrs today also. It was wonderful
    A year from now I'm going on an eight day bike ride through the Santa Barbara area.
    I've just started exercising and like the way I feel. I was sick several years ago and lost weight, but was so weak I could hardly stand. I was afraid if I lost weight on purpose the same thing would happen, so it feels great that I feel like I'm getting stronger.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. If I can conquer my fear and hatred of the treadmill you can tackle that bike. Take it easy to start and build from there. It only gets better from here!! Next thing you know you will be entering the Tour de France. (or maybe not) but you are on it and that's a start.

Take care!!
    Denise (OH)
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Great job! And tackling the hill on your first trip out - awesome!

I went out at the weekend to buy a new bike, as I stupidly gave mine away when I moved to Spain a few years back - the first one I tried was too short in the length so I felt as though I was sitting right over the handlebars - the next one I tried was much better, longer in the frame - but sadly, £40 more expensive, so I couldn't afford it.

I know they say you never forget how to ride a bike - maybe its my advancing years, maybe its my grumpy old joints, but I had a heck of a job getting on the bike, and I didn't even attempt to try to cycle it in the confined space of a store - that will be done in the privacy of my back garden once I can find a suitable bike in my price range!

I'm back to my little footbike - I can't fall off that!

Keep up the good work!
  • WildWayz
    WildWayz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I am currently 276lbs and bought a bike. Managed 47mins up and down hills (4.5mi) before we got home and did a 3.2mi walk :D
    Was a great feeling but boy is my *kitten* sore!

James
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!