Actual fat vs water weight

Options
I've noticed a huge difference in my body as far as clothes, when I sit down, more physically comfortable, getting up, simple things I've noticed a huge difference which is great. Not sure how much I weigh now, since I only try to weigh myself 2-4 weeks. On week two I weighed and lost 2.4 pounds. How do I know if I'm not just losing water weight or toxin build up? Sounds stupid but I'm just curious as to why I've noticed such a huge difference in my body already. I walk every single day for 1.5-2 miles. Which isn't a lot for regular people. But since I'm heavier, exercise makes it harder on my body. Advice? Oh and I drink lots of water!!

Replies

• Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Does it matter? If you're losing weight, that's awesome! Our weight fluctuates throughout the day so weighing at different times could be water weight if you gain. But I'd say if you've noticed changes in your body, it would be fat loss. Keep it up and time will tell.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ^^ For sure. Water weight moves fast. Fat weight moves slower. Muscle weight moves slowest.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by toxin build up? Unless your liver and kidneys aren't working, or you've poisoned yourself, you don't have to be concerned about toxins. Certainly not in relation to weight loss anyway.
  • JewelsAU
    JewelsAU Posts: 52 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Eating less calories automatically means lower consumed carbs, perhaps less sodium which automatically equates to less water weight and less food consumed means less food in your digestive track, etc.

So predict you have lost water, some fat and depending on your exercise preferences (strength training, etc), protein intake and your calorie deficit is not too aggressive, minimal muscle loss.
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @scarlett_k I mean like built up colon or whatever
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Still not sure what you mean... constipation?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »

Still not sure what you mean... constipation?

OP needs to take a dump...
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Noo! Like apple cider vinegar to clean out your system! Anything that could cause extra pounds!

That's a myth. ACV doesn't do anything for weight loss.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Noo! Like apple cider vinegar to clean out your system! Anything that could cause extra pounds!

That's a myth. ACV doesn't do anything for weight loss.

Yeh doesn't clean out your system either your liver does that.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a huge difference in my body as far as clothes, when I sit down, more physically comfortable, getting up, simple things I've noticed a huge difference which is great. Not sure how much I weigh now, since I only try to weigh myself 2-4 weeks. On week two I weighed and lost 2.4 pounds. How do I know if I'm not just losing water weight or toxin build up? Sounds stupid but I'm just curious as to why I've noticed such a huge difference in my body already. I walk every single day for 1.5-2 miles. Which isn't a lot for regular people. But since I'm heavier, exercise makes it harder on my body. Advice? Oh and I drink lots of water!!

There's no easy way to determine if weight lost is fat, water, food passing through the digestive tract, etc. Fortunately it doesn't much matter. If you pay attention to weight trends, losses over time, rather than day to day and week to week losses you can rest assured that long term weight loss almost always involves fat loss. One thing I always advise is to weigh yourself daily. The key is to pay ZERO attention to those daily weights as they are mostly meaningless. You take those daily weigh ins and log them in something like trendweight.com that gives you a rolling average and a nice trend of your losses. After a month or two of doing this you will get a very telling graph of exactly how your weight is trending. If you are losing weight over time, especially if you are overweight/obese you can rest assure that you are losing fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The what now?!
  • skeleton666
    skeleton666 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I've been thinking about my weight loss too! Is it water or fat?? When I gain weight I tend to call it water weight to make myself feel better
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    LMAO oh Sh-t, she dropped the ACV bomb
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

That's a myth. You weren't carrying around built up toxins. Your liver and kidneys filter out anything that needs to be and it leaves the way most everything else does! The weight loss industry gets us to believe all kinds of crazy things, doesn't it?

Your water weight will go up and down all the time due to salty foods, how much you drink, reacting to exercise, hormones, etc. Usually any big water drop due to a change in diet or exercise happens right in the beginning. And ultimately it really doesn't matter, you just want to see that number trending down :) Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a calorie deficit then you are losing fat. If you aren't then any weight loss is just fluctuations.
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys