Avocado's

Options
Hi I need to add some more fats into my diet to reach my macros. Not used avocados before. What's the best way to incorporate them into meals or as snacks. Not on keto so can have carbs. Many thanks fellow mfp

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    In a salad with new potatoes, your favourite lettuce, tomatoes and a warm breadstick (cut into chunks).

Or just have slices of avocado in a sandwich or a sub. Goes well with apple, I thought.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yuummm!! Every which way you can! They're the best thing ever! Cut in half, squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper, eat with a spoon. Put it on toast. Great with smoked salmon and poached eggs. Mash with garlic, lime juice, salt and chilli for a quick guacamole. Just eat em!
  • Holly_981
    Options
    I just dice or slice them up and put them on my plate. No need to add anything. They go with everything.

You could think of them like butter. Just smash them up and put them on everything. I like @Holly_981 ideas.

Seriously though, how good are they?! <3
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Holly_981 wrote: »
    I just dice or slice them up and put them on my plate. No need to add anything. They go with everything.

You could think of them like butter. Just smash them up and put them on everything. I like @Holly_981 ideas.

Seriously though, how good are they?! <3

Not just good. They're excellent. Had so much avocado in the last few weeks!!
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Avocado's are pretty versatile. Tons of ways to incorporate them into your diet. At the very least just puree it up and spread it on your toast instead of butter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    On toast with runny boiled/poached eggs...

baked and chopped up and mixed into pasta with chicken, mushrooms and bacon....
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much for your help. I'm gonna try some of these today. Hope I like them as look good nutrionionally wise and vitamin wise. Do you just have them raw no cooking with them in recipes?
  • Holly_981
    Options
    No cooking required :)
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I make an avocado sauce for pasta. It's similar to this recipe, but I use lemon juice instead of lime: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012695-avocado-basil-dressing
  • lannie1303
    lannie1303 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry thought I could write before I posted photos - 2 dishes I've done recently with avocado. Sourdough toast with mashed avocado, bacon medallions and poached egg for brunch and a watermelon, feta & avocado salad for dinner yum yum yum
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Guac
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    aggy2011 wrote: »
    With scrambled egg and smoked salmon mmmmmmm

This sounds delicious.

I'm another who usually just eats them with a little salt as a side dish. I've done them as a side dish with eggs before, that's nice. (I also enjoy them with some cottage cheese.) Good on a salad too, and obviously guac.

They can be nice as an alternative to a fatty spread (like mayo) on a sandwich or burger too.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have avocado with black beans, ground turkey with onions, and a fried egg on top. All on top of a bed of spinach. Literally eat this all the time, it's one of my favorites. High protein too.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    2 medium avocadoes, peeled & diced; 2 plum tomatoes, diced; 3-4 Tbsp. thinly sliced red onion; 2 Tbsp. Caesar dressing. Combine and toss well. You can add cold steamed string beans or sugar snap peas, if you like. Yummy.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You can just put some avocado on bread and have it like that
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I mash up a small, soft avocado, mix in a tablespoon of salsa, a wee bit of lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper and galic to taste. Then I spread it on a piece of toast. Pure heaven.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    In a smoothie. I put either a banana or avocado in most of my smoothies, for the texture -- it helps thicken them, especially if you're using traditional (unstrained) yogurt, milk, or water with protein powder. If you're using Greek (strained) yogurt, without any thinner liquid, you probably don't need anything to make it thicker.