Calories Vs. "healthy" food choices

So, I have done a ton of exercise today (over 700 calories), and so I am approaching dinner time with over 1,200 calories left which I can eat.

I know there is debate about whether or not people eat back exercise calories, but let's say I plan to eat them all. For 1,200 calories I could order a large takeaway pizza from Domino's and eat half of it. That's ON TOP of the two meals I've already had today.

But, I know that if I do that, I will feel pretty bad and bloated in the morning.

Some people on here say there is no such thing as good or bad food, only calories in and out matter.

Do you think it matters WHAT you eat? Or do you literally just calorie count?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    For just one meal? What eat will not matter unless it's poisonous or you have an allergy to it or something like that.

Overall, of course what you eat matters. Nutrition matters.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    I don't label foods.

I control my weight by my calorie intake. Having a lower weight gives me good health markers (I have around 5 years of data that shows this). I've had great blood test results while eating the antitheses of a 'healthy' diet. I've had great blood test results while eating a very nutrient dense, 'healthy' diet.

For me personally-I focus first and foremost on my calorie intake. After that I aim to eat a balanced diet full of the foods I like. I eat a wide variety and love veggies just as much as I love pizza, (even more when they're together lol). One of the reasons why I've been so successful at this whole thing, is because I'm doing it in a way that's realistic and sustainable for me, for the long term.
  • alexandra9119
    alexandra9119 Posts: 14 Member
    If you were eating healthy all week and crave something delicious on the weekend that you do not allow yourself during the week I don't see why not? You did exercise and don't obsess over it! It will drive you crazy. I actually like to during the week if I jut need to get my fix... I use two slices of whole grain bread and make a grilled cheese pizza with pepperoni with provolone cheese. It's sooo good and somewhat healthy with whole grains and calcium.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    No one who tells you CICO means that its all you need to be healthy. It's all you need to lose weight. What you eat in a deficit doesn't matter to lose weight, but if you eat crap you'll feel like crap and can have resulting health issues.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    You have choices not just in WHAT you eat (mmm, pizza!) but in HOW MUCH you eat (ugh, I can't believe I ate THAT MUCH PIZZA I don't feel so good).

You make choices (what foods, portion size) based on your priorities. Calorie content. Nutritional value. Bliss index (lookin' at you, pizza). Gastrointestinal sensitivity. Budget.

Your priorities are likely calibrated differently from any other person's. That said, I am vehemently against anyone giving any power to feelings of "virtue" (or "guilt") in their prioritization scheme. As long as I meet my nutritional goals for the day, there's no reason not to include some recreational foods in the plan.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    I'd eat the pizza... but then again, I had buffalo mac n cheese the last two nights for dinner...
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What you eat matters for nutrition, energy & hunger levels, and general well being. Calories matter for weight loss.

This. I don't really think there are good foods and bad foods, just good diets and bad diets. Half a pizza in the context of an nutrient rich diet is not a bad thing as long as you've got the calories for it. But I would make doubly sure you've actually got the calories for it. More than 700 calories from one workout seems dubious.

It wasn't one workout - was a couple of different things I did on a particularly active day. You are right though, thank you :)

• RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What you eat matters for nutrition, energy & hunger levels, and general well being. Calories matter for weight loss.

Perfect statement.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Unless you are allergic to something, there are no bad foods. You don't get bonus points for eating healthy foods once you've already hit your micros/macros. If you have the room for it in your day, eat it if you want it.

Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Eat a nutritious diet at a calorie deficit to lose weight and be healthy.
    Eat a nutritious diet at a calorie deficit and incorporate exercize into your daily routing and lose fat, be healthy and look & feel better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    spyro88 wrote: »

Of course it matters what you eat, and no, I have never just calorie counted, personally.

But if you mean for weight loss, and satiety is not a problem, then no, it does not matter for that. I ate a lot of nutritious food getting fat, and still got fat, and plenty of people ignore nutrition and lose weight just fine.

I still think what you eat matters, if you phrase it that way.

If what you eat makes you feel bad, of course THAT matters too. I don't like feeling bloated or stuffed, for example.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,082 Member
    spyro88 wrote: »
    So, I have done a ton of exercise today (over 700 calories), and so I am approaching dinner time with over 1,200 calories left which I can eat.

I know there is debate about whether or not people eat back exercise calories, but let's say I plan to eat them all. For 1,200 calories I could order a large takeaway pizza from Domino's and eat half of it. That's ON TOP of the two meals I've already had today.

But, I know that if I do that, I will feel pretty bad and bloated in the morning.

Some people on here say there is no such thing as good or bad food, only calories in and out matter.

Calories matter for weight loss. What you eat matters for energy levels, satiety, workout performance, general health, and dozens of other things. But it's less about good foods vs. bad and more about macros, micros, food volume, personal feelings, and so on. If a whole pizza makes you feel bad, then it might not be the best choice. That doesn't make the pizza a bad food, it just makes it an inappropriate choice for this particular situation. On the other hand, I had a whole pizza last night (Newman's Own spinach and white sauce, yum) and felt fine. It was an okay choice for me. That doesn't mean it's an okay choice for everyone. Pick and choose what you like to eat and what makes you feel best as long as you're hitting your calorie and nutrition goals as well.

Or in the particular amount of it you are eating. How about a slice or two of pizza along with some salad and veggies with some fruit as desert? I bet those one or two slices of pizza would not leave you feeling bloated. I cannot understand why it always has to be a whole pizza or a dozen donuts or whatever rather than just a slice or two, or one donut? Moderation is probably best expressed in moderation of the amount of something one eats. I am pretty sure if you ate 1200 calories of broccoli you would feel bloated from it as well.