Just had a baby...losing weight by BFing (for now) :)

Options
Anyone else just have a baby and losing weight by breastfeeding?

I had my baby almost 4 weeks ago..beginning of July, and by my 2nd week..i'd already dropped about 20lbs. I'm not exercising as of yet, and probably won't until i hit my 8 week mark. Had a c-section and the doctor has advised me to wait @ least 6-8 weeks. I'm not really watching what i eat, but am watching my portions. I do eat when hungry..and i drink A LOT of ice water...I tend not to eat past 9pm. I'm going to start walking on a regular basis, probably starting this week...but plan on joining an all woman gym around that 8 week mark...I miss the arc trainer..and the classes i used to take..like kickboxing and Zumba!

Anyway if any of you ladies are trying to get back on track to losing weight after recently just having a baby..pls feel free to add me for support :)

Replies

• horsepullerlovesme
    horsepullerlovesme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i had a baby four months ago. but i am not breast feeding. tryin to lose the 50 lbs of baby weight. it is tuff. but i am workin out all the time
  • lazybis
    lazybis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hey
    congrats on ur baby :)

i'm not really a new mum compared to you..as my baby is 7 months old now. But my weight just won't go down coz it took me a while to get over my bad eating habits developed during pregnancy.

I joined MFP two weeks ago because I thought it's high time..I need to throw away my pregnancy jeans(though they're so comfy!)

And Yeah i'm still partially BFing..

you shouldn't reduce eating healthy..as BFing makes you very hungry.Have porridge and lots of watery stuff :)

good luck :)
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    first give your body time to heal. I've had two c-sections as well, and your body needs to heal from what it has just gone through before you get into "diet" mode. It's great that you are watching your portions. Do that and make sure what you are eating is quality food for you and your baby. If you do that, then when you are ready to start working out and make bigger changes, it will be easier for your body to adjust. My advice to you is to not put it off for too long after the 8 week mark. My "baby" is now 2, and I am still working on it. I think I used the excuse, "i just had a baby" for about a year and a half.
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    first give your body time to heal. I've had two c-sections as well, and your body needs to heal from what it has just gone through before you get into "diet" mode. It's great that you are watching your portions. Do that and make sure what you are eating is quality food for you and your baby. If you do that, then when you are ready to start working out and make bigger changes, it will be easier for your body to adjust. My advice to you is to not put it off for too long after the 8 week mark. My "baby" is now 2, and I am still working on it. I think I used the excuse, "i just had a baby" for about a year and a half.

TY..i'm healing good...i was basically off stairs and did next to nothing, but BF'd my baby for the first 2 weeks..walk to the bathroom and to bed..that's about it...my hubby cooked, cleaned..and he took off 2.5 weeks of work to do so :) i have BF'd before..am a mother of 4...just hoping that when i get in the gym my milk supply won't change...i read on here somewhere that a ladies breast milk went down when she started working out.....I didn't know that could happen. I hope that by eating right and a few hundred calories more..that won't happen. My supply is pretty good right now..and i def. dont want to lose that! I will def. be @ the gym arnd the 8 week mark..could be @ 7 weeks..but not later than 8 weeks :)
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    and I forgot to say... COnGratUlatIOns on your new baby!!!!!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I my daughter will be 5months Aug4 so, not terribly new but new enough! haha

About the breast feeding and workout out- just drink a TON of water and you shouldn't have a problem with your supply :)
  • Dianababii
    Options
    i had my baby 4 months ago. 2nd baby boy! gained 60lbs this pregnancy as well as with my older son. Back then I was underweight so it was ok. This timeI lost a whole bunch of weight during the first few months I was pregnant due to hpermesis. Anyways ive lost 25lbs since giving birth and have about 30lbs til I get to where I want to be. I work out at the gym 5 days a week 2x a day if I can. Eating healthy is my biggest problem. I know it will take some time to lose all the weight and thats where I tend to lose motivation as I want Instant grativication. I hope by december I can be where i want to be!
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I don't have a baby anymore (they are 2 and 3) but when my daughter was born, I was at my pre-pregnancy weight by 2 weeks after having her. I kept it off for the whole first year...I breastfed her for a year. However, I didn't really change anything (diet or lack of exercise) after I stopped nursing her, and I gained 20 lbs in a year. So here I am, trying to get rid of those 20 extra lbs (plus some). So, just be careful after you stop breastfeeding!
  • AnotherMichelle
    AnotherMichelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I didnt just have a baby, My daughter is two but I know how hard it is to get back into exercising after having a C-section. Maybe its only me but damn I was miserably uncomfortable for a while even after the incision was "healed" the muscles were tender and stretched out and yeah... 2 years later im STILL trying to get back to my PP weight. Good luck on your journey!
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ty all :)
  • Ambie213
    Ambie213 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby! I have a 3 1/2 month old and I still BF, but not exclusively; she doesn't seem to want to as much and has been wanting the bottle more and more. I was actually very surprised how quickly my baby weight came off (took me awhile after my first). I am currently 18lbs below prepregnancy weight, but I still have more to lose to get at my goal weight. I know how hard it can be. Good luck and we can try to keep each other motivated! :)