Binge Eating

Options
I have been struggling with binge eating for most of my life. As it's truly a mental illness, I know that binge eating can't just be "fixed". I've seen a therapist and tried tirelessly to battle this disorder. It's taken it's toll on both my mental and physical health.

Perhaps it's a long shot, but does anyone have any suggestions for "avoiding" binges? Has anyone ever been able to stop while they're in the midst of one?

Replies

• Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm not a binge eater. I have dealt with eating issues though, and have dealt with bulimia a short time, and have always looked for a quick fix to losing weight.In the past from over the counter to illegal,all in the name of being thin. But what I have noticed from therapies and even watching many a "Extreme Weight loss" with the Powell's,is that alot of it has to do with emotional blocks. Once you figure out what those are ,and put them to rest, your binging will not have fuel to grow on. We are only as sick as our secrets. Start talking about your secrets with someone you trust,and you wont feel the need to want to binge. And if your binging is truly truly truly because you love food. Allow yourself to allot gor one meal to be something you really cant be without that day,BUT fit it into your daily calories!!!
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @rmgnow Is there a difference?
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    @Nykkismommy21 I do love food, but I know that a lot of my problem is eating my emotions (also struggling with anxiey/depressions). I really appreciate your advice!
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    @diannethegeek HALT...I like that!
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like HALT too. I find I overeat when I'm over hungry OR had too many sugary carbs. So foods high in fat keep me satiated. If I'm going out to a place where I know I'm going to be offered lots of sweet foods I'm sure to eat a snack of protein and cheese either right before I leave the house or in the car on my way there. When I do this I find I eat 50% or less of what I normally would if I show up hungry and I don't have to struggle.

Good Luck!
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    @Arleigh7 Awesome suggestion, thank you!
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Arleigh7 wrote: »
    I like HALT too. I find I overeat when I'm over hungry OR had too many sugary carbs. So foods high in fat keep me satiated. If I'm going out to a place where I know I'm going to be offered lots of sweet foods I'm sure to eat a snack of protein and cheese either right before I leave the house or in the car on my way there. When I do this I find I eat 50% or less of what I normally would if I show up hungry and I don't have to struggle.

Good Luck!

Ooh girl yes, I second this,and protien I believe and have been noticing has helped my hunger ,its what I go for when snacking. Im a vegetarian, before dieting I didn't get enough protein, now I always have bars, high in protein,or my morning protein shake,and I really think part of my somewhat fast steady weight loss has to do with all the protein im getting in. OP get you some protein girl, it's going to be your life saver. Lol ,a bit over dramatic, but I can't begin to tell you how much I have noticed a difference since taking in more. I love Clif bars,kind bars and even The Power Bars, which are an aquired taste,but my go to for when I take m walks! Life changing!
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    @shirgify Good thinking! I mostly binge when I'm alone also.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    @krose4514 Step 3 is what I'm working on right now! I haven't had a binge in a week or so, which is incredible progress for me, but I'm so afraid of slipping up. I'll have to remember 2 and 4 for the next time I feel like I can't stop. Thank you!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I read in another thread that you're trying to go vegetarian. By completely restricting meat you may be setting yourself up for more binging.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    Since I stopped eating meat, I actually haven't had any binges. I was afraid of that also.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if my binge eating is the same reasons as yours. I think mine was more diet related. Once I switched to a high protein diet I don't get the urge to eat all the foods. It's like a light switched off. Staying away from sugar helps too. When I stray from my healthier eating I binge way more. Sometimes it's like my stomach is a bottomless pit and I literally feel ravenous no matter how much I eat.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Since I stopped eating meat, I actually haven't had any binges. I was afraid of that also.

Most likely since you stopped eating meat, you're eating higher volume fruits and veggies that are more satisfying. I'm a vegetarian and it's helped. I still binge once in a while, but I know it's because I'm either overly tired or let myself get way to hungry.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The book Brain Over Binge helped me enormously. That, and finding the same compassion for myself and this struggle as I would have for my child or a dear struggling with something, and then acting and treating myself accordingly.

I also second what others have said about a high protein diet, but that may not be true for your body.

Same here--that book mirrored my experiences & I found it quite helpful and an interesting read.