Almost done with c210k - 6 weeks to first 10k

Options
I have 2 weeks left in couch to 10k. Once I complete this, I will be about 6 weeks out from the Across the Bay 10k across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on Nov 5th.

I'm struggling with deciding 'where to go from here.'

Here's the situation, I run pretty slowly. My jog starts at about 4mph. This means that when I complete c210k (with the 60 min runs), I will actually only be at 4 miles. Obviously I still have some work to do to get to the 6.2 miles required for my race.

My thoughts...
Option 1 - Pick a half marathon training program and start training. While I know I won't make it through that program before my 10k, I won't need to. However, I assume with the increased mileage, I'll be able to complete the 6.2 miles (perhaps faster, perhaps not).

Option 2 - Continue similar to the couch to 10k schedule. This would mean adding 2-3 minutes each week up to the 90 minutes that it would take me to get to the 6 miles. (The thing I don't like this about this that I have learned that couch to 10 k is constantly increasing with every workout. I like the idea of the easier runs and shorter runs mixed in with the longer distance on the weekends).

I cycle for my cross training on "off days" and I use 21 Day Fix for lifting in between runs.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't have to increase all your runs. 2 x 4 miles a week and a 'long' run increasing to 6-7 miles between now and your 10k would work
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but if you can run 4 in training you can run 6 on race day. The first time I ever ran 4 miles was 2 days before the first time I ever ran 6 miles. I had to prove to myself that I could do it and I could.

Last fall I completed a half marathon never running more than 10 miles before the race. It was my first race and I made a few mistakes that nearly everyone makes. I went out way too fast instead of running the pace I had trained at and I didn't fuel right before the race because I was in weight loss mode so it was much harder than it needed to be. I just ran my second half last month and blew 17 minutes off my time on a harder course because I knew more about not going out too fast and I was properly fueled.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's Novice 1 HM program would probably work for you, since it has a slower buildup. His Novice 2 is a pretty rapid increase, with one mile per week added to the long run.

If you do Option 2, I would add more than 2-3 minutes to your runs. Add 5 minutes each week to your long run and maybe two minutes to one of your shorter runs. Overall training volume is more important than just the length of the long run. Going from 12 mpw to 18-20 will help both your endurance and your speed.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's Novice 1 HM program would probably work for you, since it has a slower buildup. His Novice 2 is a pretty rapid increase, with one mile per week added to the long run.

If you do Option 2, I would add more than 2-3 minutes to your runs. Add 5 minutes each week to your long run and maybe two minutes to one of your shorter runs. Overall training volume is more important than just the length of the long run. Going from 12 mpw to 18-20 will help both your endurance and your speed.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I should also mention that I broke the rules a bit of c210k. I know everyone says not to do more than they call for bc of risk of injury. However, I did. I did 4 runs on most weeks. This week I actually added a 5th. I actually completed the end of last week on Monday. So I ran Mon (4 miles), Tues (1 mile) Wed (4 miles), Fri (5.75 miles), and Sat (4 miles). Total of 18-19 miles. Based on this, I guess I'm more "advanced" than you may assume at the end of a typical c210k program. Thought I'd mention it in case it changes the advice at all...

Disclaimer: I wouldn't encourage others to do this. I usually suggest everyone follow the program. However, my situation was a bit different than some. Without going into the details, it was an educated decision.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I should also mention that I broke the rules a bit of c210k. I know everyone says not to do more than they call for bc of risk of injury. However, I did. I did 4 runs on most weeks. This week I actually added a 5th. I actually completed the end of last week on Monday. So I ran Mon (4 miles), Tues (1 mile) Wed (4 miles), Fri (5.75 miles), and Sat (4 miles). Total of 18-19 miles. Based on this, I guess I'm more "advanced" than you may assume at the end of a typical c210k program. Thought I'd mention it in case it changes the advice at all...

Disclaimer: I wouldn't encourage others to do this. I usually suggest everyone follow the program. However, my situation was a bit different than some. Without going into the details, it was an educated decision.

If you're doing 5.75mi then you can do 6.2....
  • PennStateChick
    Options
    I was actually going for 6.2 on that day, but found out that my treadmill shuts off at 100 minutes instead... It was an experience.
  • curlsintherack
    Options
    I think I had a nightmare once that involved me on a treadmill for that long.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I was actually going for 6.2 on that day, but found out that my treadmill shuts off at 100 minutes instead... It was an experience.

Unless your race is on a treadmill, you need to get yourself outside!
  • PennStateChick
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't mind the treadmill -- and there are times that I don't get a chance to run until after it's dark. Last night, I ran during the Alabama-Florida State game.. so I was fine. And I would NEVER get the 18-19 miles in if I didn't use a treadmill to train.

Also, I DO run outside... However, that particular run was on the treadmill. I run with a 2.0 incline to account for the difference in resistance outside and I find that I run at about a same speed regardless if I'm inside or outside.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I understand the need to run on the dreadmill once in a while. Just wanted to make a few points many folks don't consider. The advice to run at a constant 2% incline is somewhat flawed since nowhere on earth will you run for 60 minutes at a 2% incline. This seems like a calf/achillies injury waiting to happen. Also, how do you practice going down hill on a dreadmill? Long downhills can be murder on your quads if you haven't practiced.

For the rest of your training I'd suggest just keep increasing your weekly mileage until the week before race day. Just take it slow and don't try to do too much.

And finally, MPH is for cyclists. My brain can't compute 4 MPH to pace (minutes per mile or kg per min on the other side of the pond). Just an FYI when you chat with other runners. Your dreadmill should display this as well.
  • PennStateChick
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well again, I do run outside. I just happened to mention the treadmill for 2 of my runs. Also.. my 10k is a bridge, so it's actually a pretty flat and consistent trail (in comparison to other races.)

And my treadmill doesn't show min per mile. It's set based on MPH. But to be helpful, I guess its 15 min per mile.

I do appreciate the advice for training over the next 6 weeks. Although, I do have to admit that some of it will be the treadmill. And I have to believe that a run on the treadmill is better than no run.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm completing C210K in 3 weeks, I don't have a race scheduled, but what I've decided to do is, add a run day each week. Kind of mad, but whatever. Fits my schedule better. On Monday, Tues, and Thurs I will run for 60 minutes, speed and distance don't matter. Saturdays I will go on distance runs, and ignore the time. My plan is to increase the distance by one mile each week until I'm up to 13 miles. Then I'll reevaluate again.

I hate treadmills. All power to you if you can tolerate it; I'd go crazy from boredom. I'd rather reschedule my runs, or even go during a rainstorm. No idea what I'm going to do once winter hits.
  • PennStateChick
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    I'm completing C210K in 3 weeks, I don't have a race scheduled, but what I've decided to do is, add a run day each week. Kind of mad, but whatever. Fits my schedule better. On Monday, Tues, and Thurs I will run for 60 minutes, speed and distance don't matter. Saturdays I will go on distance runs, and ignore the time. My plan is to increase the distance by one mile each week until I'm up to 13 miles. Then I'll reevaluate again.

I hate treadmills. All power to you if you can tolerate it; I'd go crazy from boredom. I'd rather reschedule my runs, or even go during a rainstorm. No idea what I'm going to do once winter hits.

I have a TV on the wall directly in front of my treadmill. Netflix or tv or football games will do.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Well again, I do run outside. I just happened to mention the treadmill for 2 of my runs. Also.. my 10k is a bridge, so it's actually a pretty flat and consistent trail (in comparison to other races.)

And my treadmill doesn't show min per mile. It's set based on MPH. But to be helpful, I guess its 15 min per mile.

I do appreciate the advice for training over the next 6 weeks. Although, I do have to admit that some of it will be the treadmill. And I have to believe that a run on the treadmill is better than no run.

Absolutely. Treadmills serve a purpose. And some folks even like them. :)

Good luck with the race.
  • curlsintherack
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Good luck with the race.
    They sure do I sold mine and bought some more 45 pound weight plates. I couldn't ever get a good rythem going on the one I had. I think the treadmill is an investment and if I ever buy another one I'll be treating it as one and buying the best one I can afford instead of whatever I could find on craigslist.
  • PennStateChick
    Options

Good luck with the race.

Thank you! I am excited but nervous! Everyone who said they would run with me has backed out at this point so I'm on my own (even though I had 3 other people sign up with me!)
  • PennStateChick
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »

Good luck with the race.
    They sure do I sold mine and bought some more 45 pound weight plates. I couldn't ever get a good rythem going on the one I had. I think the treadmill is an investment and if I ever buy another one I'll be treating it as one and buying the best one I can afford instead of whatever I could find on craigslist.

Yea, I had an old one prior to this one. I got it from my mother-in-law. It had sat in their basement for years prior to us taking it, but I needed something that would allow me to run at night with the job I used to have. Seeing the progress was nice, but I hated it. My current one is a nice model Nordic Track from Sears a few years ago. It's A LOT better than the former one. I know treadmills aren't for everyone, but I really don't mind it.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    1. The bay bridge is a very long uphill and down. Remember the span goes up high enough to get Panamax ships under it.
    2. I am also doing bridge 2 10k with goal a few weeks later of Annapolis Running festival 10k . A friend suggested I spend 1 day a week not doing that but instead doing a shorter amount working on speed. It feels like it is working. I suggest the same to you. Expand theb2 10k by a few weeks by replacing one workout a week as a speed workout . Go much faster for a shorter distance.
  • PennStateChick
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    1. The bay bridge is a very long uphill and down. Remember the span goes up high enough to get Panamax ships under it.
    2. I am also doing bridge 2 10k with goal a few weeks later of Annapolis Running festival 10k . A friend suggested I spend 1 day a week not doing that but instead doing a shorter amount working on speed. It feels like it is working. I suggest the same to you. Expand theb2 10k by a few weeks by replacing one workout a week as a speed workout . Go much faster for a shorter distance.

1 Yea, I know. As I said, it's relative to other route options. While it's a climb, it's a pretty small progression up to and down from that point.

2 I didn't replace a c210k workout for speed work. I just added one. I know that's not for everyone. A lot of people do best with the 3 day a week model. However, I run 4-5 days without issue. The Tuesday 1 mile run was actually at about a 12 min mile pace, rather than the normal 15 min.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    When you do speed work, it is a really good idea to warm up by 10-15 minutes of slow running. Trying to go too fast from the start can lead to injury - hamstrings especially.

Don't let the TM haters get to you. I have two friends who do multiple marathons each year who do most of their training on the TM. One lives in Miami, the other in Quebec. I have done 20 mile runs on my TM. I built up my tolerance by gradually building my distance. I still prefer to run outdoors, but if it's hot and humid or icy or rainy, I don't mind the TM and yes, it is much better than nothing.