50 plus motivating

Options

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I really believe 50s are the new 30s! I just turned 51, and have lost 16 pounds since January, using MFP, eating well, and doing yoga 2x a week. Don't let age define you...you can define the age. It is about sticking with it, but once you get started, and start seeing results, you get hooked!
  • lady_tasia
    lady_tasia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to make more friends in the over 50 range. We can definitely make a difference in keeping each other motivated.

I'm taking the slow and permanent attitude. I plan to make it to my goal and would like to help you reach yours. It may be ten years to get there, but I will get there, Care to travel the road with me?

Everyone who has posted on this thread is welcome to private message me.
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 this year and want/need to lose for my health. I would like to lose around 60 pounds.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I have just had my 70 birthday have been on MFP for 4 years this month. Any mutually supportive people are welcome to add me.
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im 53 and will age gracefully ! Not new to MFP but new to this message board. :):) I love weight training 100%.
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

anyone else love weight training? trying to loose weight via weight training, but never actually see that muscle building causes weight loss> anyone's experience in this? especially our age! lol
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sneak up gradually on it. If you try anything radical it's more likely to cause you to, as you say, crash. I'm just eating at a 500 calorie a day deficit and I see no reason to change that. It's pretty much my new normal.
  • bragassard2015
    bragassard2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Restarting the journey. Lost 60 pounds in 2012-2015. Husband diagnosed with cancer last year, so I gained 40 pounds out of stress. Life getting back to normal now. Need to get control over my weight again. I am almost 50 and would love to be part of this group.
  • cathmurphy
    cathmurphy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out this morning, I'm 53 & looking to lose a stone which has crept up over the last year or so. I know it's not a lot in the big scheme of thinks but it's making me feel unhealthy & I have a wardrobe full of clothes that don't fit anymore !
  • tnekdd
    tnekdd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    New to this message board but not MFP. I am 60 something and finding the pounds creep up in the mid section! I'm very active and still working and busy with Grandbebes. Reading all the great motivational words here! This is a great tool to help stay the course.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    I really believe 50s are the new 30s! I just turned 51, and have lost 16 pounds since January, using MFP, eating well, and doing yoga 2x a week. Don't let age define you...you can define the age. It is about sticking with it, but once you get started, and start seeing results, you get hooked!

@LZMiner, you look fantastic friend. I don't let age define me either. Going to be 64 this month and feel and look better than 10 years ago
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    gladius173 wrote: »
    Im 53 and will age gracefully ! Not new to MFP but new to this message board. :):) I love weight training 100%.

Nice to see a woman that enjoys weight training
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    anyone else love weight training? trying to loose weight via weight training, but never actually see that muscle building causes weight loss> anyone's experience in this? especially our age! lol

Results vary with weight training. Depending on what your goals are. Low weights and high reps will take the pounds off but not add much muscle. Diet has a lot to do with it as well. Add me if you like @gladius173
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm 53 and have lost 63 pounds over about the past 6 years; some of my weight loss on MFP and some prior to MFP.

I don't believe age is a limiting factor with respect to weight loss and fitness. I have one relative who had serious weight related health issues and has lost significant weight after seriously starting to manage his calories and exercise in his 70's.

Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am 51 and have lost 42 some before MFP 16 and 16 here a few years back I am trying to recdommit to supporting others so that I can have the support I need in this life long jurney. I hope everyone is feelinh the support.
    Elaine
    252/226/213/210/199
  • staylo1313
    staylo1313 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Feel free to ad me as a friend. I am 57, 5'0" and just started back again in July.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    54 here. Started out at 300 lbs, lost 85 and gained back 45 from stress when a child had a major life-threatening illness. It's hard to see your child suffer.

I'm back on the program again and have lost 25 lbs since July. I hope to lose another 30 and hit my target weight before Christmas.

I hope you find a way to meet your goals. The hardest step is your first one, and you've already taken that.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I love weight training too! The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn. This was how I was able to lose the last 20 lbs. I was doing very little cardio and mostly strength training
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My problem is usually my metabolism is not amped up enough to lose weight because i do not eat enough any suggestions? I have been feeling better so I know that is better than just the losing of weight

@staylo1313 - thanks

@ttippie2000 - Wow great job and congrats on the loss thanks for the encouragement

Elaine
    252/226/213/212/199
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I just turned 50 this summer. I lost about 30 pounds 2 years ago but gained it all back plus 30 more. I've been back on MFP for 6 weeks and am down 15 pounds. I am doing couch to 5k (week 3) and water aerobics (harder than I thought) with some weight lifting thrown in.