Beautiful Behaviors -- September 2017

Options
This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Original thread by @Jessiquoi!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm in a rush today - my mom's friend is critically ill and she's caring for her, so I'm caring for her horses. Also my husband's cancer surgery is Tuesday, and I had hoped to get some household things taken care of first. It never rains but it pours! Which is literally true this week - we can't do our c25k at the park because the river has flooded the trail thanks to Harvey. Still we are so fortunate compared to others in Harvey's path - we only got one really heavy day of rain, and apart from low lying areas everything here is fine.

Hope everyone is well! Thanks Lea for starting the September thread.
  • aleahurst
    Options
    You're welcome @rheddmobile !!! I'll lift you all in prayer. You will make it!
  • aleahurst
    Options
    Today I am grateful for friends, online and off, and family. My illness makes me irritable today, but even through that I love you all so much.
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Hi ladies, Am back reading the posts. You're all so AMAZING! Struggling, struggling with emotional eating. I plan on recording my food again in September. Need to keep reading your inspirations. ☺
  • velocity60
    velocity60 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All . It is a glorious day in RI . Today is a day for a massive walk & a few little ones . It seems so weird that it is so beautiful here yet we know there is so much hardship in other places . Our thoughts ,& prayers are with all of our friends in FL & TX
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Is it ok if I join you all?

I don't really have a problem with the self-care of indulging in hobbies like reading and crafting (I'm a knitter). I need to focus on getting exercise and keeping up with the housework! I get overwhelmed easily and then I retreat into my books or my yarn as a way to avoid everything. I know from past experience that working out and keeping up with the clutter will help far more than avoidance, but I'm stuck in this rut ever since my mom died in March 2016. I need to re-develop those healthy habits that I've lost.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Sorry I've dropped off the radar a couple weeks. I've started school for my paralegal studies and it's going very well! I've also joined my gym again since my workload is a lot less. My second job is being annoyingly unresponsive to my inquiries about shifts I can work so I've had more time on my hands. I'm kind of hitting a wall with cardio. I like jogging but it gets rough on my ankles. The ellipticals at my gym are not that great and the one that is is always taken. I've been to scared to wander over to the stair master, but if I get bored enough I just might!

This is my beautiful behavior this month:

I've been working on eating only foods I find filling and satisfying, and trying to figure out my body's hunger cues more. I've noticed if I eat dessert after my meal like most, I get hungry all over again and am unsatisfied. I combat this now by eating dessert first if I have some with lunch, like a cookie. At night, I wait till right before bed to eat dessert and by that time I'm ready to fall asleep and feel more satisfied. I have also stopped buying most crackers because they do not fill me up and produce the same effect. I am much happier snacking on peppers w/ a wedge of laughing cow cheese!

Have a fantastic week!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Hello! I decided to start taking a walk during my lunch hours, thinking it would be a great time to get some exercise and give my brain a break at the same time. Well, I left the building and got about 40 yards down the road, tripped and took a digger on the blacktop really HARD! Messed up my knees, my palms from catching myself before breaking my face, my shoulders and neck feel like they have whiplash, my ankle twisted and I might have broken a toe! What the heck? Even trying to get healthy is dangerous for me... ;)

So, my beautiful behavior the last 18 days of September is to try to reach my step goal at least 15 out of 18 days, and also to alternate between sitting and standing at my desk at work so I'm not sitting as much. I need to work harder on quitting the sitting! ;)
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Yes I am still lurking.

@aleahurst - how are those oxygen levels and are you still pushing the water?
    @rheddmobile - I will send you lots of good thoughts and prayers. Sometimes it has to rain to make everything green again.

I am back to running and trying to get back to lifting on a regular basis. I am running 3 days a week now.

I had a minor set back as I am again raising my granddaughter and my oldest daughter, son n law and 2 grandchildren are currently living with me too due to Hurricane Irma. Its a house full and definitely a daily struggle but my beautiful behavior will be to make time for my daily treadmill run or take a long walk by the river with my granddaughter.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've been a bit wobbly the last few weeks, but reading this thread has been inspiring, so I'd like to jump in!

When I began losing weight last December, forming good habits and positive thought patterns was my main focus. After decades of yo-yo dieting, I decided that this will be my very last major weight loss, and there will be no weight gains again in my future. If I look to the future with fear instead of hope, then I'm likely to fail, so resisting the temptation to be fearful is something I'm dedicated to becoming expert at.

Lately, I've had some extra stresses in my life, and the old habit of turning to food for comfort and diversion has been plaguing me. I need to turn my attention to being nice to myself in other ways, so right now, my beautiful behavior will be to listen to some soothing music, do some mindfulness meditation and get some much needed sleep.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Very stressed at work lately, so the beautiful behavior I plan to try tonight is to find a quiet area of my house and meditating with the Calm app while diffusing essential oils. I am also not going to take work home with me tonight, both literally and figuratively.
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Still lurking! Still watching! Hope everyone is doing well. @aleahurst are you doing ok? You haven't posted in a while. Have you gotten outside to put those toes in the grass lately?
    @rheddmobile hope things are going better.

To the new ladies - welcome and I love reading all your stories.

As for me - I am losing again finally. Took about a month of working out to finally see some results. I am back to running 3 days a week and lifting 2. I am so busy at work that snacking at work is not an option. I barely get time to eat lunch. LOL

Home life - well this is my current struggle. I am truly missing my quiet me time at the house. My beautiful behavior for the next few days and weeks to come is to find a way to get quiet me time in the house full of people. With deer season right around the corner, I know I will get some nature therapy high in a tree very soon but I have to make it to Oct 1 to do that. LOL

Keep up the good work ladies!
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    Where is everyone?