Trying meal replacement shakes. Help!

Options
So after putting on a whopping 60kg I've decided to start trying to lose some weight. I wanted to try meal replacement shakes for the first time, to see what all the hype is about. I'm a tightass when it comes to money so I opted for the Aldi slim and trim shakes at only $2! I'm completely clueless with anything fitness/diet, so the plan is to have two a day, having a healthy dinner and exercising 3-4 times a week. It's my first day and I will take on board any advice I can get!

Replies

• rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been on one for a week. I blend it with milk and it adds up to 200 calories. I only have it for dinner though. What I find is that I'm under my calorie goal and I end up having a small snack (protein or a vegetable) after the shake. I'm using it to teach myself self-control at night. So far I haven't seen a difference weight wise. But it's only been 7 days.

From what I've heard, people gain weight quickly when they go off the shakes and eat normally again. The best advice I can give is to start with one meal and practice portion control.

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I assume you are doing this short-term to jump-start weight loss? My advice is that you're going to feel very hungry after your initial motivation gets shaky. While it's one thing to eat low-calorie meals, liquid meals tend to make many people feel hungry because there is really no volume. It will take some time to see if you that as an issue for you. For breakfast I had two eggs scrambled in a bit of olive oil, with some onion and Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage crumbles which clocked in at about the same calorie count as your Aldi shake.

There is no way, by lunchtime that I could handle only another 200+ calories.

Just be prepared for this and have your expectations on your hunger be realistic.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you just need to eat less, but you also have to do it consistently and for a long, long time. Can you see yourself having meal replacements as part of your everyday routine for the foreseeable future? Didn't think so :D Just eat food.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, why have you opted for Meal Replacements? You can lose weight just by creating a calorie deficit. Meal replacement shakes aren't ideal for the long term as you won't learn any portion control.

My advice would be save your money, log your food and stick to your calorie allowance that MFP gives you and spend the $14 on some fresh food.
  • ivory32
    ivory32 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I assume you are doing this short-term to jump-start weight loss? My advice is that you're going to feel very hungry after your initial motivation gets shaky. While it's one thing to eat low-calorie meals, liquid meals tend to make many people feel hungry because there is really no volume. It will take some time to see if you that as an issue for you. For breakfast I had two eggs scrambled in a bit of olive oil, with some onion and Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage crumbles which clocked in at about the same calorie count as your Aldi shake.

There is no way, by lunchtime that I could handle only another 200+ calories.

Just be prepared for this and have your expectations on your hunger be realistic.

I agree with this. You are far better finding food that is equivalent to the amount of calories to the shake. It's about changing your habits and choices with food.
  • AleksDLem
    AleksDLem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The whole detox etc. is just complete *kitten*.

The only reason to drink smoothies/shakes/whatever is if you like to drink them. I for example eat 400 calories worth of smoothies/milkshakes etc. which is around 2dl for my recipes in the evening instead of grabbing a bag of chips or candy.

While losing weight, you will feel hungry and there is no way around it. Eat less energy dense food, eat less of everything, drop unhealthy stuff full of sugar like soda drinks, chocolate and candy completely.

Also measure/calculate nutrition values yourself. One generic brand of smoothies is 60kcal/100g while the one next to it on the shelf is 200kcal/100g even though it's "organic" and "healthy" and "Superfood" in big fat letters. One of them will make you really fat really quickly and the other one is a decent healthy snack.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    AleksDLem wrote: »
    I have not felt hungry whilst losing weight and I have lost almost 40lbs. Weight loss doesn't have to be miserable and if you like soda and chocolate and it fits into your calorie allowance, there is absolutely no reason not to have it in moderation unless you have a medical reason to cut it out completely.

I just have to chime in here and say that many people *do* feel hungry while losing weight. For a while, I thought something was wrong with me, but I've come down to the fact that I am just a hungry person. Always have been, always will be. Thankfully, I've never had to lose more than 30 lbs so my appetite didn't put me in too bad of shape. But I am hungry. I am hungry eating 1700 calories a day. And they are pretty good calories.

I just think that some people feel hunger more than others. It's the same way with thirst. I almost never feel thirsty.

But I agree that you don't have to be miserable. There is a balance between normal hunger feelings and I'm Gonna Lose My Mind hunger feelings.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    AleksDLem wrote: »
    I have not felt hungry whilst losing weight and I have lost almost 40lbs. Weight loss doesn't have to be miserable and if you like soda and chocolate and it fits into your calorie allowance, there is absolutely no reason not to have it in moderation unless you have a medical reason to cut it out completely.

I just have to chime in here and say that many people *do* feel hungry while losing weight. For a while, I thought something was wrong with me, but I've come down to the fact that I am just a hungry person. Always have been, always will be. Thankfully, I've never had to lose more than 30 lbs so my appetite didn't put me in too bad of shape. But I am hungry. I am hungry eating 1700 calories a day. And they are pretty good calories.

I just think that some people feel hunger more than others. It's the same way with thirst. I almost never feel thirsty.

But I agree that you don't have to be miserable. There is a balance between normal hunger feelings and I'm Gonna Lose My Mind hunger feelings.

I kind of meant like I don't feel any hungrier whilst losing weight than I would normally, sure if I had an active day, I have an appetite, but I don't feel like I am going to starve between meals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's hype about meal replacement shakes? Who knew? I sure didn't.

Ask your slim friends if they live their lives on these 'meal replacement shakes'. I expect you'll find they do not. That's a clue.
  • ranmalih
    ranmalih Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    cheriebah wrote: »
    So after putting on a whopping 60kg I've decided to start trying to lose some weight. I wanted to try meal replacement shakes for the first time, to see what all the hype is about. I'm a tightass when it comes to money so I opted for the Aldi slim and trim shakes at only $2! I'm completely clueless with anything fitness/diet, so the plan is to have two a day, having a healthy dinner and exercising 3-4 times a week. It's my first day and I will take on board any advice I can get!

I work in pounds not kilos so my maths may be off here, but..
    I've lost 140lb, which is approx 63.5kg over the last 2 years and I've lost it simply by eating less and moving more, no meal replacement shakes, but real food. Throughout the whole 2 years I've very rarely ate below 2000 Calories and very often ate in excess of 2500.

Plug your details in here, choose a sensible target loss (1lb/week is great for a slow, steady, sustainable loss), weigh and log all solid foods (measure liquids) and try and slowly but steadily increase your activity.

I will be honest and say that I do have a protein smoothie on a regular basis, but it's a snack rather than meal replacement and I use it as a way to add Calories after I've already had three main meals and 2 snacks and very often comes in at around 300 Calories (I am very active and so get to eat a lot of food).

@firefly72 , you have no idea how inspiring this is for me as someone only a few weeks in and trying to keep the numbers down!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    thought I'd share, my hubby had to have all his upper teeth pulled last year & he waited 6mo to be healed before he applied to get dentures, during that time he had most of his meals in our nutribullit, including what ever I made for dinner he put in there along with some almond milk. He learned a lot about nutrition during that time & still has morning shakes, as do I. He lost all his extra weight, got off insulin & has not gained it back. All that to say you can make your own & put whatever you want in them. I put fruits & veggies in mine
  • cheriebah
    cheriebah Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Eva! Big props to you guys :) I am interested in making my own shakes so that's given me a big push, thankyou very much