What's the best tasting milk, I can no longer drink cow's milk

Please let me know what is the best tasting milk that you drink.
I'm missing cereal, since I can no longer drink cow's milk (lactose)

Thanks for your help.
Debby

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    The best tasting milk substitute is pretty subjective. For instance, I really like almond milk for my cereal, but if you hate the taste of almonds then it wouldn't be a good match for you. It might just be that you need to try a few options and see which you like best.
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Soy milk is pretty good if you aren't a no-soy kind of a person. It's a good source of calcium and protein, and relatively flavorful-- I think it's rather sweet. Keep in mind that most soy is genetically modified. I try to avoid it.

Almond milk is my choice, but it is not a good source of calcium or protein. Not everyone loves the flavor.

Of course, there are lactose-free milk options as well.

But as @diannethegeek said, test some different ones out and see what works for you! Good luck!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    edited September 2017
    My daughter is lactose intolerant. She hates ALL soy, almond, coconut.. etc etc varieties of milk. She LOVES lactaid though. It's actual cows milk but with the lactose protein removed. I swear it tastes just like normal milk.. even the 2% tastes like 2% milk. My son and I switched to that since we can't tell the difference.

• RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    There are lots of plant milks. Most come unflavored and in flavors like chocolate and vanilla. Many have as much calcium and vitamin D as dairy milk.

Cashew (creamier than almond)
    Almond: low calorie
    Protein Nutmilk (I like Silk brand): has 130 calories and 10 grams of protein per cup
    Soymilk: has good protein but soy is not for me (upsets my stomach)
    Coconut: sweet
    Coconut/almond mix: sweet again

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    edited September 2017
    When I had to be dairy and soy free for my daughter when breast feeding I never found one I actually enjoyed. But try them all, buy one of each from the supermarket. It might be one is best with cereal and one with coffee.
    Be cautious with soy, alot of people discover a soy intolerance also.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    I like unsweetened vanilla Almond milk, at only 30 calories for a cup. I don't "drink" any kind of milk anymore, but I really like the almond mild for my cereal. There are a lot of plant milks, plus, as others have mentioned, there is Lactaid. Just keep trying until you find one you like the taste of. No sense having to give up cereal! Good Luck!
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    I like unsweetened vanilla Almond milk, at only 30 calories for a cup. I don't "drink" any kind of milk anymore, but I really like the almond mild for my cereal. There are a lot of plant milks, plus, as others have mentioned, there is Lactaid. Just keep trying until you find one you like the taste of. No sense having to give up cereal! Good Luck!

This. It is the closest thing in taste to cow's milk that I've found. I purchase the Almond Breeze brand.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    There are also Lactaid pills in the grocery stores that might work if you can't find it in the dairy case. I like the unsweetened almond cashew or the plain unsweetened cashew milk but we drink all of them except rice. My son has crones and I am allergic to the PROTEIN in dairy. Try all kinds to see if you like one more than the rest.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    I'm in love with unsweetened coconut milk. I use it in my cereal, my tea and drink it occasionally. I use the brand Dream. I also love hemp milk and flax milk. Some people hate the flax milk so your experience may vary. They finally came out with a flax milk that has pea protein added, so it has more protein and more vitamins, but I can't get it in Canada :neutral:

I tried to make flax milk today, because I can't find it in any local store here. The recipe was easy enough, but I couldn't strain it enough and it had too much husk. It still tasted great though. I'm going to try it again when I have some panty hose to strain it through. Pretty much just ran some flax seeds through the blender with some water and strained out the remaining husks then returned it to the blender and added vanilla and sweetener. I used dates to sweeten, but you could use stevia or honey or whatever you have on hand.

I can drink dairy milk no problem, but my husband drinks it like he's a baby cow or something, so I switched because I was tired of not having any milk for my cereal. I'm also trying to limit my animal products because it's better for the environment.

If I was in your position, I'd just go to the health food store/department and buy a bunch and do a taste test and decide what you liked the best.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    I use unsweetened almond milk. It is also good in a fruit smoothie.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I like unsweetened soy because it's about the most neutral in taste and I use it mostly in coffee and cooking.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Coconut or hemp are my favorites. I like almond milk creamer, but not really the almond milk. As another poster said, it's a personal preference thing.

My only issue with these kind of milks is that I can only find them in a half gallon size. No pints or quarts like they sell cows milk. Since I don't use that much of any kind of milk a lot of it goes to waste.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Please let me know what is the best tasting milk that you drink.
    I'm missing cereal, since I can no longer drink cow's milk (lactose)

Thanks for your help.
    Debby

Lactose-free cow's milk is your friend. :)
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk and chocolate almond milk, but to each their own. I'm not lactose intolerant (that I know), but over the years, I've grown to dislike cow's milk. Also, almond milk tends to last a lot longer in the fridge than cow's milk.

To each their own, though.
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Another MFP user recently pointed me to cashew milk and I'm loving it! Nice and mild and creamy. I've only found it in a couple stores nearby, though, but try it if you see it!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    For cereal, I've used Rice Dream Vanilla Rice Milk. Only the vanilla though. It gives a great taste to cereal.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    I would recommend goats milk. We have dairy goats so we have milk, cheese, and ice cream. Our neighbor has kids that are lactose intolerant and they drink the goats milk with no problems. It is easier on your gut for digestion and still has good bacteria.
  • flotsette
    flotsette Posts: 10 Member
    It all depends on you - your tastes and food tolerances - but a great range of options for you to try are mentioned here! I started out with almond milk, but discovered I'm intolerant to nuts. Switched to rice and now I'm a fan of coconut because I'm now low carb. I like both the coconut beverage for a milk substitute and also canned or boxed coconut milk is an excellent dairy substitute when cooking. Just like regular dairy, don't boil it.