protein shake question

Options
okay. so another post made me randomly think of this question....

i go to the gym 5-6 days a week for 45-90 mins at a time depending on how hard i want to punch it. i go in the morning after breakfast and when i come home i have lunch. i most usually have a protein packed lunch - mainly tuna on salad lately and then i have a yogurt and almonds - just as an example.

what are the advantages of having a protein shake after a workout? or is there no difference in it for me since i eat what i eat for lunch? im thinking maybe i should have a shake after i work out and then have a later lunch???

just talking out loud thinking maybe ill learn something new...thanks for the thoughts my friends. *muah*

Replies

• hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of protein that you are putting in the shake. After I work out I like to have a WHEY protein shake. It helps my muscles recover faster. Also sometimes at night I have a CASEIN protein shake.. thats a longer lasting time released protein that helps your muscles recover faster also.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I swap it up with my shakes. They say it is good for your muscles if you drink one after a workout. I do both sometimes the shake gets me going in the morning but I usually don't work out until the evening. The one I use only has 80 calories, good protein, low carbs plus it has soy added and I like the taste.....good luck!
  • lonelytylenol
    Options
    Yeah, whey or other fast-absorbing protein recommended within 30 minutes after workout.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how many calories you want to consume. My powder with 2% milk (b/c I don't like it in water) is roughly 300 calories, whereas, a glass of lowfat chocolate milk is roughly 240. Depending on my day, and how hard I work, I either do the shake or have a glass of chocolate milk, But, I have to give something up in order to allow myself to have those.

Personally, I think what you are doing is fine. I would do chicken instead of tuna, bc there is more protien, and have the tuna for a snack or supper. You don't want to give the tuna up b/c you need the fats, however, salmon is actually a better choice, if you can stomach it. It is a strong fish.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just an easy quick way of getting the protein you need after a workout. It really does help to have this.

However, it doesn't necessarily need to be from a shake or bar, if you are having you're lunch soon after and it has a decent amount in it, then I could imagine that would be just as good.
    I've heard the time frame after a workout to get protein is around 20-30 minutes. I usually have a shake as soon as my workout is done, and then will have something to eat when I get home, after walking though it's at least half an hour, more if I've done a food shop while in town, so I'll always have the shake.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I usually make a shake with 2 scoops of Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder right after a workout. I try to take it once a day. Personally it's helped me feel more energetic and build up muscle definition and mass faster. But protein shakes are not necessary if your getting plenty of protein from other sources. The main thing after a workout is to get hydrated and get some nutrition back in. So if your gonna eat a high protein meal right after a workout then you should be fine.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    thanks for the input...i usually eat within 30-45 mins after i workout cause i have to work soon after so i ahve to get moving fast. i appreciate the input guys!
  • Antares84
    Antares84 Posts: 7
    Options
    having a post workout shake is just a trendy thing to do because its easy and tastes good. it is good for recovery as well. however, a better idea is to eat more of your carbs after a workout with some protein or recovery powder. fueling your body up no later than 30min after a workout with carbs to burn and some protein is more important than just protein.

example: a tuna sandwich with raw nuts and maybe some rice/soy/almond milk.

what you want to do is eat every 2-3 hours with a fair amount of protein in every meal. for someone that weighs 130 lbs who very active, a good intake would be 6-7 meals with no more than 20g protein per meal, per day.
  • Arwen1922
    Arwen1922 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great question, I was wondering the same. Thanks for all the good points everyone!
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love my whey protein shakes, unfortunately they gave me such bad gas that I had to stop drinking them. It was getting embarrassing!! Anyone else have this experience?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes after a workout are more than just "trendy." There's a benefit to the shake compared to other foods. Whey protein is a very quickly digested and absorbed compared to other protein sources, which helps speed up recovery and repair of the muscles. Personally I do both, I have my protein shake as a drink with a lean protein lunch, usually a lean roast beef sandwich.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I love my whey protein shakes, unfortunately they gave me such bad gas that I had to stop drinking them. It was getting embarrassing!! Anyone else have this experience?

Yep! Protein seems to make me a little gassy too......the wonders of life....LOL :laugh: