Magnesium citrate

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    mthome2014 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone but unfortunately I don't tolerate fibre too well, I do eat fruits and Vegatables. I tried the psyllium but was backed up, bloated for days with little to none movement.
    An other ideas besides fiber or mag citrate?

Are you eating enough fat? I've mentioned this before way up there. Fat is necessary for good digestion and bowel movement.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    @yirara So (pill wise) 400mg of citrate = about 100 mg of oxide. Do I have that right?

It's irrelevant. Absorption wise, they are very different. You can't just say "instead of taking X amount of Mg cit, just take Y amount of Mg Oxide". Mag citrate is one of the most absorbable forms of magnesium for the body and IS the one use for laxative effects. Magnesium oxide is one of the LEAST absorbable forms of magnesium for the body. It's just not that effective. That's also why it's much cheaper.

true, though too much Mg of any type might lead to diarrhoea. And there don't seem to be many proper peer-reviewed double blind study that really look at magnesium absorption into the cells in humans. There are some studies with mice. Thus saying that one is better than the other is a bit difficult to quantify.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    mthome2014 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone but unfortunately I don't tolerate fibre too well, I do eat fruits and Vegatables. I tried the psyllium but was backed up, bloated for days with little to none movement.
    An other ideas besides fiber or mag citrate?

My gastro dr recommended Miralax. He said it is not harmful to use everyday. I also have the same issue with fiber.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Exercise & coffee on an empty stomach usually works for me:-)
  • beckamomto3
    beckamomto3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently added digestive enzymes to my supplements that I take and it seems to be helping some. I take two before eating a meal. Also a probiotic might help.