Very specific cooking recipes

Options
nusisauk47
nusisauk47 Posts: 14 Member
So I am running out of the ideas and would appreciate your brainstorm/tested recipes - any kind of meal from smoothies and cocktails to lunches and dinners, maybe even with pictures.

Here are the 'conditions' for the meals. Please note that I am not absolutely crazy and if anything mentioned below is so much worth using in a dish - I am in for it. It's more like trying to avoid/replace some ingredients on a daily basis for one reason or the other. I also don't have any allergies, intolerance, I am not vegan/vegetarian/coeliac/diabetic.

- low calorie and low GI is a big benefit
- no cow's milk products
- no potatoes
- no sugar
- preferably whole grains (if there is a choice)
- no white wheat
- no red meat (prefer poultry or fish (which can be red))
- no mayonnaise or any sugary dressing

Fats I use the most - extra virgin olive oil.
Currently using milk substitute - almond milk - basically only for overnight muesli.
Want to try quinoa (wasn't much into exploring different grains than rice before).
Recipes with lentils, chickpeas, buckwheat, soya chunks, rice, coconut cream, whole wheat, oats, tamari sauce, veggies, fruits are very welcome.
Intensively looking for the healthy desserts. Especially if it's possible to get the sweetness from fruits (definitely not refined sugar (may be with sugar replacement)). So far found just one (banana bread/banana muffin) which tastes nice even for regular things eating people (tested on colleagues). As sugar replacement I'd prefer Stevia because of it's nutrition but I hate aftertaste of it so only if it gets lost in a dish (my morning freddo espresso is the only thing where I use regular brown sugar on a daily basis as I can't find substitute to get coffee taste I'd really like).
Love onions, garlic, sweet and spicy stuff.

Thank you in advance. If you have at least one or more preferences as I do let me know I may also share my findings.
Also, feel free to add me as a friend, especially with open diaries.

Cheers.

Replies

• ranmalih
    ranmalih Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    b9pqmol5uhvb.png
    This is my new favourite dessert recipe
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You mentioned chickpeas, which made me thing of this amazing recipe:
    Mediterranean Orzo Salad from The Pioneer Woman. Scroll down to view the recipe. For your needs, you would just want to use whole wheat orzo. Otherwise it fits the bill since feta is not from cow's milk.
  • nusisauk47
    Options
    ranmalih wrote: »
    b9pqmol5uhvb.png

Thank you, will definitely give it a try!
  • nusisauk47
    Options
    Mediterranean Orzo Salad from The Pioneer Woman. Scroll down to view the recipe. For your needs, you would just want to use whole wheat orzo. Otherwise it fits the bill since feta is not from cow's milk.

Thank you! I am located in Greece so it's no wonder I have 90% of the ingredients already, it's my next salad!
  • donnaturkington
    Options
    i am falling in love with the app/web site "that clean life" 100's of recipes that are gluten free, high protein.... you name it any combination of dietary needs there is a recipe for that. BUT THE 1 THING I LIKE BEST is that it allows you to menu plan for a week at time and then gives you a shopping list. some of my favourites are the Banana coconut granola and the Chocolate protein pancakes and the chicken/quinoa/peas in orange sauce-i make these in advance and freeze them and BOOM ..... ready to go meals with no muss no fuss
  • nusisauk47
    Options
    nusisauk47 wrote: »

Thank you! I am located in Greece so it's no wonder I have 90% of the ingredients already, it's my next salad!

Tried this one with a little modification (no oil and parsley, normal tomatoes instead of cherry and maybe not accurate quantities as per recipe) and it turned out great anyway with 300 kcal per serving of around 260 g :)
  • nusisauk47
    Options
    i am falling in love with the app/web site "that clean life" 100's of recipes that are gluten free, high protein.... you name it any combination of dietary needs there is a recipe for that. BUT THE 1 THING I LIKE BEST is that it allows you to menu plan for a week at time and then gives you a shopping list. some of my favourites are the Banana coconut granola and the Chocolate protein pancakes and the chicken/quinoa/peas in orange sauce-i make these in advance and freeze them and BOOM ..... ready to go meals with no muss no fuss

Signing up... thanks! Will check it out!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Lensi pasta is made from legumes. Get some. Get some Tomato Sauce. Cook the Lensi pasta, which again, is made from legumes, not wheat. It takes the same 8-10 minutes to cook as regular wheat pasta, but I repeat, it contains no wheat. Heat the tomato sauce if you want to. Drain the pasta. Combine the two. Have tomato sauce and legume-sourced fake pasta.

I'm not joking. Most "pasta sauce" has added sugar. If you know of one that doesn't feel very free to use it. Tomato sauce, as I recommend, has no added sugar. Maybe. Check the ingredient list.

This particular meal gives you protein and some good vegetable nutrition.

I do not know if you would do this, but another thing you can do to increase your protein and vegetable goodness is to add more vegetables or a dehydrated, powdered, vegetable concentrate such as Liv Fit Superfood Blend.

Further, I do not know why you are so very restrictive in your list of demands. Food is food and humans are evolved to be omnivores. If 'evolved' is a triggering term, substitute 'created'. If 'created' is a triggering term, keep 'evolved'.

This has been a difficult answer to compose. I'm going to go look at pictures of puppies.
  • nusisauk47
    Options
    Lensi pasta is made from legumes. Get some. Get some Tomato Sauce. Cook the Lensi pasta, which again, is made from legumes, not wheat. It takes the same 8-10 minutes to cook as regular wheat pasta, but I repeat, it contains no wheat. Heat the tomato sauce if you want to. Drain the pasta. Combine the two. Have tomato sauce and legume-sourced fake pasta.

I'm not joking. Most "pasta sauce" has added sugar. If you know of one that doesn't feel very free to use it. Tomato sauce, as I recommend, has no added sugar. Maybe. Check the ingredient list.

This particular meal gives you protein and some good vegetable nutrition.

I do not know if you would do this, but another thing you can do to increase your protein and vegetable goodness is to add more vegetables or a dehydrated, powdered, vegetable concentrate such as Liv Fit Superfood Blend.

Further, I do not know why you are so very restrictive in your list of demands. Food is food and humans are evolved to be omnivores. If 'evolved' is a triggering term, substitute 'created'. If 'created' is a triggering term, keep 'evolved'.

This has been a difficult answer to compose. I'm going to go look at pictures of puppies.

Not sure how much of sarcasm was in your reply but I do find it useful so thank you :D I believe I may try different fake pasta and I do have tomato sauce without sugar.

The list above is not the only thing I eat, I just want to get more ideas for healthier cooking as all the recipes are usually packed with fat, sugar etc. If I want a piece of cake I will have a piece of cake and then for dinner have a lentil fake tomato pasta why not. I do think that it matters more what you consume on a daily basis, not the occasional foods which is what I am trying to follow - cook wisely when I can, have a treat when I want. And to not make healthy cooking a suffer and constant eating of the same stuff I am looking for new things. Not that you really care but.. just saying :D

• merlegirl3
    merlegirl3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ranmalih wrote: »
    b9pqmol5uhvb.png

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you are ok with sweet potatos - I made this recipe that was really good

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/barley-and-sweet-potato-pilaf

cheap to make and was enough for about a weeks worth of lunches
  • aquirico
    aquirico Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    nusisauk47 wrote: »

Farro also makes a great mediterranean salad. It's a grain, higher in fiber and protein than quinoa, and more subsantial like rice, with great flavor! This is a recipe we like.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/mediterranean-farro-salad-recipe/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Try chocolatecoveredkatie.com for your dessert recipes. Most are low in sugar and many use whole grains. She is also vegan, so she doesn't include any dairy.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thiis is a favourite and freezes well. I very high in fibre and protein. :):D

Tuscan white bean and Kale Soup
    700gm jar tomato passata
    1 leek (trimmed and sliced)
    2 large brown onions (diced)
    1 bunch kale (cut off ribs and cut into chunks)
    2 cans white beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic
    1 teaspoon Tuscan seasoning
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot add a little olive oil and onions and leek. Cook until slightly golden.
    Add garlic, Tuscan seasoning and oregano.
    Stir well. Add tomato passata. Stir well. Fill passata bottle with water and add to pot, with drained beans and kale.
    Stir well.
    Reduce pot to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
    If soup is too thick add more water.
    Taste for seasoning and serve.

Store in airtight container.
    Stores well in airtight container in freezer.

Equates to 340 calories a large bowl
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options

This is a delicious soup that freezes well :)

TUSCAN WHITE BEAN AND KALE SOUP
    700gm jar tomato passata
    1 leek (trimmed and sliced)
    2 large brown onions (diced)
    1 bunch kale (cut off ribs and cut into chunks)
    2 cans white beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic
    1 teaspoon Tuscan seasoning
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot add a little olive oil and onions and leek. Cook until slightly golden.
    Add garlic, Tuscan seasoning and oregano.
    Stir well. Add tomato passata. Stir well. Fill passata bottle with water and add to pot, with drained beans and kale.
    Stir well.
    Reduce pot to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
    If soup is too thick add more water.
    Taste for seasoning and serve.

Stores well in airtight container in freezer.

Equates to 340 calories a large bowl
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Here is a yummy Quinoa dish to try.

ROASTED SWEET POTATO AND QUINOA SALAD
    1 and half cups tri colour quinoa cooked to packet directions
    1 large or 2 medium sweet potato (cut in small diced)
    1 bunch baby spinach
    1 punnet cherry tomatoes
    1 tin beetroot wedges
    3 shallots (sliced fine)
    1 bunch radishes (sliced thin)
    2 tblsns Balsamic vinegar dressing

Preheat oven to high (200 degrees). Place sweet potato on greased tray. Season with salt and pepper. Cook sweet potato until golden.
    Cook quinoa and allow to cook slightly.
    Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly with tongs.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Can be served warm or cold.

( For non vegetarian option can add feta cheese).
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My daughter came up with this a few years back and it is super yummy and filling!

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp chicken bouillion
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Sprinkling of Parmesan
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add bullion and stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 8 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top with parmesan.

*To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.