Working out on an empty stomach?

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Deadships wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Look at it this way. Meal timing does play a role, but it is small. It's probably a good idea to eat a small snack with protein and carbs before you workout, but if you eat too much prior to working out, your workout will be affected negatively because you're stuffed.

If the meal is causing a drop in performance then it's worse than getting your meal timing spot on.

What would suggest as the simplest form of a Protein Carb snack that won't be heavy on the stomach?
    You don't really need protein before, your body doesn't utilize it quickly enough to affect a workout immediately after. A few carbs (15 - 30 g) will definitely make things feel easier. I suggest a piece of fruit before and something with protein after. If you want both protein and carbs, a fruit smoothie with Greek yogurt or a piece of fruit and cottage cheese are alternatives to the standard protein shake.

If you are used to it and can handle it, there's no reason for a healthy person not to work out fasted.
  • ServeJesus2008
    ServeJesus2008 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    None they all bad for you especially if u allergic to them like me so i eat protein natural way
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. I have tried both... eating first and fasting first. I find that when I eat first I feel lethargic and have no energy or strength. When I fast I am super strong and have tons of energy. For me it also depends upon the type of workout. If I am having a Muay Thai stripe test I make sure to have a quick shake, usually with a protein powder, blended banana for the quick energy... those tests are total physical endurance and can last up to 2 hours. If I'm going for a regular workout - HIIT or lifting for an hour or so I am better off on an empty stomach. Just try both ways and see how feel the best.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    If you even think about training on an empty stomach your body will go catabolic and eat ALL of your muscle. Happened to me once and spent the better half of a decade trying to get my gains back. True story...

If you think about it, its not even remotely true, especially for a standard non endurance lifter. Considering an average person can hold 300 to 500g of glycogen (more when you lift), have fat reserves for energy and realize that its expensive to convert amino acids to glucose, it would be unlikely to lose a ton muscle just by lifting fasted.

You'd have a greater chance to lose muscle from low protein, little to no lifting and aggressive cuts.

OP, do what works for you. Just get adequate protein and follow a progressive overload resistance program and you will be fine.

I think dieselbyte was joking..... :D (He highlighted that even "THINKING" about training fasted would use "ALL" your muscle before fat...!! And I'm pretty sure that no matter how hard I "THINK" about training, it won't burn muscle OR fat...! ;) ))
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning and then eat. I usually workout right now at about 7:45am fasted and my first meal will be around 12:00pm or after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up around 3:30 am and hit the gym at 5. I usually take a pre workout and have oats or peanut butter toast. Give it about 30 minutes or so to digest. But I usually get better workout from it. Just fuels me
  • Deadships
    Deadships Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. :-)
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person but on a normal workout day I prefer to workout on an empty stomach. If I am training for something like a mountain bike race or running for 5+ miles I will eat something light 30-45 minutes before just to give me the extra fuel. I will say avoid eating if you are lifting heavy on leg day or you will puke!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    As others have said it really boils down to how you feel and what works best for YOU. Personally my workouts suffer quite badly if I do my usual cardio plus weight training on an empty stomach. 10 minutes in and I already feel winded, sluggish and light headed. Just a simple 2-300 calorie well rounded meal sits light on the stomach and provides an adequate energy source to avoid the starved workout feeling.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    As others have said, do what works best for you. I can not do that. I get a HUGE headache about three minutes into it. Everyone is different so finding what works best for you is key.
  • mwd1764
    mwd1764 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've always tried to workout in the a. m. before work. Maybe it's just because of the early morning workouts in the military, but I believe there are other benefits. Such as your body has rested all night and you natural test levels are at their highest after a nights rest. Also you go to face your day with a natural high and endorfin levels elevated and a great sense of well being. If you have a bad day you don't have the workout in the back of your mind at the end of the day which can turn something positive to a negative.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions. Looks like we are all different, some need food to fuel ourselves, some don't.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Some can, some can't.
    I'm in the can't group. I have to have something about an hour before lifting otherwise I start to feel sick and nauseous (sometimes light headed too).
    I also know some people that don't need to eat beforehand and they kill it in the gym.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, this is a personal preference thing. Like so many other things.

I LOVE working out in the morning.....the body is well rested, testosterone is highest then and and and. And, the gym is usually empty (or, less crowded). But, I can not workout on an empty stomach. Fasted cardio - I can do without an issue. Fasted training - I get a huge headache within three to five minutes. And it really makes no difference if the training is a heavy dead lift or squat session or if it is more hypertrophy (lighter weights more reps).....same results for me.

What works best for you?
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think generally people will see a performance boost when they eat something prior to doing heavy resistance work. But, like stated above, YMMV.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    As most have said it's personal preference. I can do fasted cardio but if I don't eat before I lift I feel like i'm going to pass out and die.
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    t84hd47hi43r.jpg
    I normally have a whey protein shake about 30 minutes before workout. Followed by a pre work out drink. Give me more strength to complete cardio and strength training
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on an extreme calorie deficit, you should still have enough calories and protein in your body from the day before to lift fast first thing in the morning. It's not like your body completely empties itself over night.
  • GerlaineGerry
    GerlaineGerry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio but personally not eating and lifting resulted in a bad workout for me. I felt too weak to lift in my full potential. I usually lift after meal 4