Paleo Diet, Eating...

Options
My husband is on this kick of this new "diet" called the Paleo Diet. Lots of meats, fresh veggies, nuts, etc. Pretty well gets rid of carbs and bread. I understand the concept of it but something about this just doesnt sit right with me. Has anyone tried it or can give there opinion of it? I get very wary when the word "diet" is mentioned. I guess Im just all about trying to eat healthy and not be hungry, where as my husband is trying to loose weight. We both have our own issues with food, and Im just wondering if this is just another way to spend a bunch of $$.

Mindy S

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle. I don't eat paleo, I eat primal. Paleo is a little stricter. I do enjoy a wide variety of dairy foods, along with meat, veggies,nuts, and some fruit. I rarely ever eat grains of any type. Also, it keeps you from eating processed foods. The results are that it is VERY healthy for you.

Since I've changed my way of eating, I've dropped tons of weight, leaned out, gotten definition like I never had in my life, and I feel SO much better. I have way more energy, and I don't get the crash and burn you get when your insulin levels are swinging up and down, to take care of that carb heavy diet.

Check out MarksDailyApple.com. Read about it for a bit before you make up your mind. Not only does it work (and extremely effectively), it's a great way to regulate your blood sugar levels.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    you get leary of anything with the word diet because most people dont seem to know the true definition of diet.

the word itself does not me restricted eating. The word simply means what a person, or creature eats.

you can have a "healthy diet" simply means you eat health foods. a paleo diet means you eat that style of foods.

if you eat only mcdonalds, burger king, taco bell, then your diet is fast food, and crappy as it were.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out marksdailyapple. While some may balk at "cutting out an entire food group", such as grains, I can say that for me, paleo/primal has been the way to go. 4 months ago, I was working out (P90x and biking), counting calories, and watching the scale creep up. No, it was not muscle. It was my body not being able to metabolize grain/pasta/legumes. I have since lost 20 pounds, down 2 pants sizes and 1 shirt size. I still have about 40# to go, but this is working. It is not only about the weight loss for me though, I seriously feel healthy, strong, and full of energy - no more 2:30 pm slump.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I follow this lifestyle and it did wonders for my health and fat loss journey. I went from 180 lbs - 151 lbs and my cholesterol went from 235 - 170. My BP is normalizing as well. I love this lifestyle because I get to eat all the foods I enjoy. Giving up grains wasn't hard for me at all....the SUGAR was lol. I eat yummy Bacon for breakfast every morning. It can be expensive when buying grassfed beef, free range poultry, nitrate free pork and wild caught fish...but....it's do-able. Most of my $$$ is spent on meat. Fat is wonderful to eat and very satisfying...Fat doesn't make people fat.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and considered it but it's not really feasible or realistic. Ultimately it's low carb and a diet set up for failure for folks who lost alot of weight. There is no way i can meet macronutrient goals on that DIET. I don't eat that much food in a day. This entire diet is based on theory not fact. Everybody knows eating as close to what nature makes is best. It's common sense. A healthy diet is balanced ie 30%Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fats. The book similar to many other nutritional theorists was 3 times as long as it should of been to make the point to eat as close to nature as possible. Of course animal fats are good for us as is butter as is olive oil. I lasted about 30 seconds when i considered this diet and i'm very healthy, I haven't been sick in years thankfully and i eat a normal diet without much processed food.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and considered it but it's not really feasible or realistic. Ultimately it's low carb and a diet set up for failure for folks who lost alot of weight. There is no way i can meet macronutrient goals on that DIET. I don't eat that much food in a day. This entire diet is based on theory not fact. Everybody knows eating as close to what nature makes is best. It's common sense. A healthy diet is balanced ie 30%Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fats. The book similar to many other nutritional theorists was 3 times as long as it should of been to make the point to eat as close to nature as possible. Of course animal fats are good for us as is butter as is olive oil. I lasted about 30 seconds when i considered this diet and i'm very healthy, I haven't been sick in years thankfully and i eat a normal diet without much processed food.

I have been eating this way for 5 years this month, I find it very feasible and realistic. It does not have to be low carb, there are plenty of "paleo" carbs like sweet potatoes, plantains, butternut squash, etc. There are many that follow this way of eating that do not eat low carb and do just fine, others find that eating fewer carbs is best for them. The basic tenets of avoiding gluten grains, added sugars, industrial seed oils, and processed foods is smart and still allows a great variety of foods to eat.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

It's totally possible/feasible. I'm not strict Paleo, but I have to eat Paleo because of my food intolerances (dairy, soy, gluten) and it is totally doable. Don't knock what didn't work for you just because it wasn't your thing. Plenty of people in the world eat this way because our bodies demand it due to food intolerances.